Pearl MQ vs. Pearl Elite

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Richard Groff » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:43 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding the various pros and cons of each. I know Raymond wrote a great review of his "new" MQ timabales and I may be leaning in that direction, however there is just something about brass. Has anyone checked out both?

(Thanks in advance!)
Richard Groff

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:19 am

I use the Pearl Elite Brass 13 and 14 with weather King Drum Batter heads, for me this IS the Sound ...I am not excited about the MQ's....."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Richard Groff » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:14 pm

Thanks for the info, Johnny. From talking to some friends it seems that what they like about the MQ's is the hardware, tuning lug position, etc. The shell sound is so subjective, and I have to admit I think there is just something special about a cascara played on brass.
Richard Groff

Postby polish_lancer » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:39 pm

What we need is the Johnny Conga Siganature Timbales. With all that great hardware advancements but in classic brass. Who do I need to talk to to make this happen.
polish_lancer

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:30 pm

Hahahahahah Thanks for that. I 've been trying to get Pearl to do "signature" congas, in my name and design, but it seems that if your not working with a "current" Grammy winner, your not gonna get any "light", with any drum company. But I still recommend the Brass Pearl 13 and 14's..."JC" Johnny Conga...
:D
JohnnyConga

Postby Raymond » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:16 pm

You know about the MQs, tuning from the top, solid but sharp sounding cascara, great projection...

The regular Pearl Elite in brass, I loved the cascara...is solid with no, I mean no overtones...is dry and solid..very old school sound like a set of Slingerlands I used to have when I was a kid..They look great too. The sound projection is good for brass timbales...I let you on a secret...that I am getting myself a set of them...Beware..if you are used to those new timbales out there with the "thinner shells" and overtones you are not going to like the regular Elites...

Pearl is planning a set of MQs in brass...dont' know if they will sound the same or if Pearl will face out the "regular" Elites for the MQs in brass if they ever come out... (For those who do not know...Pearl has made the MQ stand and cowbell holder standard with the regular Elites in brass...Also, for those who do not like the 14/15 set up, with regular Elites you could get the 13/14 that you could not get with the MQs).

Cons??? Some people have complaint about the cascara area of the MQs been too far back in comparison to the competion...(MQs have 5 lugs versus 6 lugs)... The regular Elites, what I mentioned before about the lack of overtones in the cascara...Some people like the stand but some don't since it could be too hard to move around to change heights...

Saludos!

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on 1140553240
Raymond

Postby Richard Groff » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:16 am

Raymond wrote:You know about the MQs, tuning from the top, solid but sharp sounding cascara, great projection...

The regular Pearl Elite in brass, I loved the cascara...is solid with no, I mean no overtones...is dry and solid..very old school sound like a set of Slingerlands I used to have when I was a kid..They look great too. The sound projection is good for brass timbales...I let you on a secret...that I am getting myself a set of them...Beware..if you are used to those new timbales out there with the "thinner shells" and overtones you are not going to like the regular Elites...

Pearl is planning a set of MQs in brass...dont' know if they will sound the same or if Pearl will face out the "regular" Elites for the MQs in brass if they ever come out... (For those who do not know...Pearl has made the MQ stand and cowbell holder standard with the regular Elites in brass...Also, for those who do not like the 14/15 set up, with regular Elites you could get the 13/14 that you could not get with the MQs).

Cons??? Some people have complaint about the cascara area of the MQs been too far back in comparison to the competion...(MQs have 5 lugs versus 6 lugs)... The regular Elites, what I mentioned before about the lack of overtones in the cascara...Some people like the stand but some don't since it could be too hard to move around to change heights...

Saludos!

Saludos!

What a surprise. I was pretty sure you might write in that you really loved the MQs, HOWEVER I think I have an idea of your taste from you many posts and thought you might prefer the bronze sound. I definitely fall into the "modern traditionalist" camp, which to me means that I prefer traditional sounds but accept its not 1940 anymore and we have to compete with modern instruments, sooooo..... I seek some kind of ballance. Of course that being said (or written), I still hate the sound of a plastic guiro! :D
Richard Groff

Postby Raymond » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:05 pm

Richard,

Actually, I prefer steel sound in my timbales. However, like to have the "option" and that is what I look for in getting the brass version.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:25 pm

Hey guys understand that the 14 15 inch timbs are really made for "Big Band" playing. The classic 12 13 timbs, were good for small ensambles. I use the 13 14 inch Pearl Brass Elite and I think they work for all size bands....for some reason everybody wants a "loud" sound, for me, that is not where it's at. ....."JC" Johnny Conga....ps..it's also harder to find a case for timbales 14 15 inches also.... :D
JohnnyConga

Return to Timbales