Lp thunder timbales

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby lurigancho » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:42 pm

Hi everyone, have you guys ever played this lp thunder timbales or jcr timbalones in a gig. How's the sound, especially the 16" timbale. thanks.
lurigancho
lurigancho

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:32 pm

The "timbalons" were a novelty instrument for playing with large bands,actually. But just ask yourself why would I buy a set of timbales this big??....just think about how you would carry them around too, "special made cases"?....but if you are like 6 foot 5 and 285 pound type dude, these may fit your size... :;): just my 2 congas....."JC" Johnny Conga...PS Anybody here-Jorge? have a set and may want to comment on them...??
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:45 pm

BTW -LURIGANCHO-WELCOME TO OUR FAMILY OF DRUMMERS/EDUCATORS. YOUWILL LEARN A LOT HERE, AS I HAVE...."JC" JOHNNY CONGA....

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... o__2am.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby lurigancho » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:14 pm

It is my pleasure to have found this forum, and find top percussionists who share their comments ,supporting the percussionist community. My interest on this big timbales is because besides playing tropical music I mostly play cumbia and peruvian rythms where usually a big drum is needed. I would like to hear feedback from timbaleros who have played this drums. Thanks.
lurigancho
lurigancho

Postby SkinDeep » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:40 pm

WHAT'S HAPPENING JC?
I NEVER DID GET A RESPONSE ON THE VIDEO WITH PELLO EL AFROKAN, IS IT POSSIBLE?

Edited By SkinDeep on 1143315644
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:04 pm

It's possible, it's just a matter of me taking it to a place that transfers video to dvd...."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby SkinDeep » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:26 pm

THIS IS WHAT I USE SINCE I DON'T HAVE A DVD RECORDER HOOKS UP TO THE VCR AND GO FROM THERE, IF I FIND A GUIDE ON HOW TO DO IT I'LL EMAIL IT TO YOU.
LOOKING FORWARD TO THE CONGAROBICS!!! :D

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... _07_1_.gif
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:33 pm

I have no idea what that equipment is????? You guys better get ready for a workout...My Conga-Robics method is GONNA KICK UR BUTTS!.....hahahahaah I cant wait....hahahaha...i have been putting it together and using my students to work it all out and they have told me themselves, if you ever had a "workout" on congas ..this is gonna be it....I think you will find that this approach is totally new, and will only make you a better and "stronger" player. i can't wait...where is my videographer???......"JC" Johnny Conga... ???
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:42 pm

lurigancho wrote:It is my pleasure to have found this forum, and find top percussionists who share their comments ,supporting the percussionist community. My interest on this big timbales is because besides playing tropical music I mostly play cumbia and peruvian rythms where usually a big drum is needed. I would like to hear feedback from timbaleros who have played this drums. Thanks.

Lurigancho,

Another option you have is to set up a drumset floor tom on your side. I had seen many "cumbiamberos" do that in order to get that big Colombian tambora sound.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1143650813
tamboricua

Postby Raymond » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:39 pm

I know some comments have come about this but...here are my 5 cents!

The Thunder thimbs or "timbalones", for obvious reasons, gives you more a bassy sound than regular timbales. Like I've mentioned here, the bigger the shell you will get a less sharp sound. (They project pretty good but for some tastes is not as sharp as you expect from regular timbales).

Got popular in the 70s with Venezuelan and Colombia groups. (Some salsa recordings from those places in the 70s and 80s were Thunderthimbs...Some recordings that come to mind are Dimension Latina with Andy Montanez and is Orquesta La Inmensidad with Roberto Blades...the album that has the song Lagrimas is timbalon all the way...Also, please note Edgardo Morales formerly of El Gran Combo had a "thunderthimb" in the hembra for many years and you could notice in some of the recordings of the band...Their last, in the 80s, Christmas album is obviouos the "hembra" is a timbalon...By the way...I saw him a couple of times and his timbales were JCRs).

If you like the sound go for it....Is not modern...Will give you a more traditional sound is tune properly but still they are easy to identify because the projection of the bass is too much!

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on 1143722456
Raymond

Postby lurigancho » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:01 am

Thanks for the info, very helpful I'll check those songs you mentioned. Mike.
lurigancho
lurigancho

Return to Timbales