Double rolling? - Can't roll with left.

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby cubanrcn » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:27 pm

Hello mi gente!

I have a problem. I can't roll with my left. I'm right handed and it really bothers me that I can't roll with both hands. Is there a technique that I can prctice to help?

Also, I can't play the 3/2 on clave and the Salsa bell at the same time. Please help.
cubanrcn

Postby Diceman » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:55 pm

Start slowly and get the precision and evenness. Using a metronome if you have one, and speed it up when you are comfortable. Then practice, practice and then practice some more.
It will come slowly but surely, there is no magic pill, unfortunately.
Another tip is to hit hard at first, to get the muscle memory going.
Then practice, practice and practice.
Hope that helps

Diceman
Diceman

Postby Raymond » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:59 pm

Mommy-daddy, mommy-daddy...(Twice with your left, twice with your right). Yes, your problem is common but you have to hit the "practice pad" with the sticks to get that left hand up to speed with your right...That is the only suggestion I have regarding this and the only solution...(Start using that left hand for everything so could help yourself on this...I keep sticks everywhere and a pad and I do mommy-daddy's all the time....).

The second issue, well...you have an independence "situation." Please note that the hardest campaneo in timbale is to start in 3/2...A lot of people do a lot of things or variations to avoid the "conflicting" sound that beginning in 3/2 sometimes do.

Don't know if you know how to read but remembers that the clave in 3/2 starts in the quarter note and immediately in the "and" you start the 3/2 campaneo...(In other words, one way to work with it is to see when the "notes" are the same that are the sometimes the worst in regards to independence).

If you could do it in 2/3 that means actually you could do it and you actually do it in 3/2 because eventually you get in to 3 of the clave when you begin in 2...(Here is just a matter of starting it)

I'll try to get the notation to show...(In the meantime, practice it...make sure you have one hand doing the right "beat, i.e., campaneo or "clave", and then follow with the other one...At the beginning is going to "suck" but start slowly and eventually you will get it).

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby cubanrcn » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:03 pm

Thanx. I will practice on the pad. The hard part is to have enough time to practice. I have 2 little ones that interfere.
cubanrcn

Postby onile » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:42 pm

¡Vaya Papa!
Hey, I know what you’re talking ’bout, I have a six year old at home. I have a drum in each of the rooms I congregate in, so I can practice my rudiments whenever the mood strikes me. The interesting part however is that while you’re going through your rudiments, they (the children) are watching you and what is it that children always want to do?

Be like Papi!

Two years ago, when my little princess was four-years old, she was watching me practice, mami-papi, mami-papi, then when I had gotten up to take a break, I come back to the room and there she is, repeating what I had just done, in her little way. She has become interested in playing, although I would like her to practice more, but I don’t push it. She now has the “martillo” down on bongo!

So, practice around your little ones, you never know, they might turn out to be the next Giovanni!

Con respeto a los mayores
Onile!

Edited By onile on 1128650919
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby GuruPimpi » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:54 am

Cubanrcn!

It's funny! I'm left handed and i played a guitar that way, and when i started too play percussion i figured out that my rolls are much better onmy right hand (!), cause I used right hand fingers to move on guitar fret. So, start plaing guitar a little bit and you'll exercise your left hand fingers in musical way...
Basic fret finger movement exercises are very good training for developing muscle memory. (from pinky to index finger and vice versa...)

just an idea... While I'm trying to execute my left hand fingers with Raymond's idea :D very good mama papa :D

Groove,

Primoz
GuruPimpi

Postby TampabayRey » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:21 pm

Cubanrch, Just like others have suggested. I bought a practice pad. several sets of sticks and practice, practice. It helps if you carry it with you (most) everywhere you go. I had a chance to play this week with a band from cuba in Belize. I was horrible in my mind, but not to many people notice. I was playing my style with a nice combo. Just my 2 cents.
:rock:
Rey
TampabayRey

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:01 am

R u trying to do single stroke or double stoke rolls??....if single start out slow rlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlr......and then build for speed.....then slow.....then build for speed...make the strokes all even...if your left hand is week just use the left hand by itself and stroke/hit the drum in 1/4 notes then 8th notes then try for 16th, much harder....then bring the hands together and go for it....hope this helps..."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby orlandodan » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:30 pm

Hi, All,
Newbie here...late, but hopefully helpful...

I am an old rudimental guy and agree it takes a fair amount of woodshedding to get double strike rolls right. Here are a couple of suggestions.

1 - practice on a surface that has less "bounce" than your drum. This forces your muscles to develop the second beat so you don't depend on the easy rebound of the drum surface. Practicing a roll on a pillow is the most radical extension of this technique, where you are not depending on ANY rebound.

2 - a more subtle practice methodology is to play the 2nd stroke louder. Start slow...as you gradually work your speed up it will get harder to keep the 2nd stroke stronger, but that's OK. This method also has the effect of requiring the finger muscles to depend less on drumhead bounce (this method is best on a surface with SOME bounce). Interestingly, the old "26 Standard Rudiments" shows an accent on the 2nd stroke notation!

If you have seen good corps drummers, they usually can play with a lot of power and evenness in their double stroke rolls (check out the "Blast" video from Netflix for some great examples (e.g., snare drum battle)).

Dan

Edited By orlandodan on 1141663327
brcmdan
orlandodan

Postby zaragemca » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:27 pm

You need to get supervision in articulating this multi/patterns,becouse the brain always is going to trick you,and you might set those articulations in the wrong/parameter,or to lose some notes in the process,(it happenen even when I teach to my students 'in vivo and cinemascope'), also you could record the patterns and to compare it to the right execusion.Dr. Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1143225134
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby mcraghead » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:31 pm

cubanrcn wrote:Hello mi gente!

I have a problem. I can't roll with my left. I'm right handed and it really bothers me that I can't roll with both hands. Is there a technique that I can prctice to help?

Also, I can't play the 3/2 on clave and the Salsa bell at the same time. Please help.

Don't feel bad. I can't play with my right. :D Most of the time I feel like a total retard. :( I keep looking at my hands to see if I'm holding the sticks the same with each hand. I am, but I get almost no stick movement with the right hand (using fingers for movement - not wrists). Urrrgh!!! One day I'll get it. :) You will get it too.
Michael K. Craghead

"Nunca Pescao, Siempre Tiburon"
mcraghead

Return to Timbales