brass Pearl Elites - just got 'em

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby mco » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:42 am

No, I'm not selling these! :) I just bought these Pearl Elite timbales, having sold my Pearl MQ's.
There was nothing wrong with the MQ's, it was that I wanted to be able switch between a 13"/14" set and a 14"/15" set of timbales. Plus, I've been trying to clear out my basement.
You can buy each size drum separately from Pearl, so I got a 13" (backordered),and a 14" and 15" (pictured). I kept the MQ stand, and it works well with the Elites.
The stock run of the mill Pearl heads sound decent, but I'll be experimenting with various Remo heads. It's hard to make a direct comparison beween the Pearl MQ's and Elites regarding head sound because the MQ's come stock with Remo Ambassadors.
I will say that the cascara sound of the Elites is more similar than different in comparison to the MQ's. Both drums have a strong, solid sound, with little in the way of overtones or "ringyness".
The build quality of the Elites is excellent. The shells, made of brass, are heavy, sturdy, and solid. The shells have an concave bead (unlike LP's which are convex), which don't get in the way of playing cascara. Unlike the MQ's each drum has the traditional 6 tuning lug configuration.
IMHO, Pearl has one of the best bargains going with their MQ and Elite timbales. To my ears, the are the equal (or even superior) of LP Tito Puente timbales, at a more reasonable price. They are head and shoulders above the Matador (which I have owned) and Karl Perazzo timbales (which I have auditioned) in cascara sound and build quality.

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 29__2_.JPG
mco

Postby mco » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:43 am

mco

Postby Raymond » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:31 pm

Didn't know you were getting the regular brass Pearl Elites...(Got dissapointed after you were selling the shells of the MQs but know I see).

Since last year, Pearl "standarized" the full set of regular Elites to include the same stand and cowbell holder as the Marc Quinones Signature model...so they are compatible all the way...(I guess you found that out already. Previous regular Elite models had a different stand).

They look nice...I will be getting me a set soon!

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby orlandodan » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:57 pm

Hey, guys,

I just bought a "demo" set of the Pearl Elites on Ebay. I based this purchase partially on the good comments I read from all you guys.

Look forward to getting them. Let me know what you find out on the best heads. I am getting "factory" heads, I think (whatever those are).

Anyway for ~$160, I couldn't pass up this deal (only a few nicks on the head).

Regards,
OD
brcmdan
orlandodan

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:15 pm

GREAT BUY!...I use the Pearl Elite Brass 13 14's and very very happy with everything about them....."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby orlandodan » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:56 pm

Hey, JC,

Got my Elites. they sound real nice...more of a "traditional" sound to my ears.
One thing I noticed is that the rim shots seem somewhat lower and less "cutting" than I expected. I think this could be because the rims seems thicker. Also The rims are welded to the mounting frame, which could cause some dampening of the rims shot tone.
Do the Tito Puente timbales rim shots sound mure cutting/higher pitched than the Elites?

Thanks,
OD
brcmdan
orlandodan

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:36 pm

OYE ...TUNE THEM UP BRO!....Lower and less cutting?....mine get a good rim shot...and my Pearls are the ones in the cataloge with the plain black bracket not the "butterfly" bracket...and I have Drum Batter weather king heads....different sound.....ENJOY!....."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby orlandodan » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:13 pm

JC,
-Heads: Ambassador? Diplomat?
-Pitch: What note do you recommend?

Thanks for the input,
OD
brcmdan
orlandodan

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:41 pm

The drum heads I have on mine are "weather king" Drum Batter heads....G and C for the timbales but put C to the Octave above middle C....for a higher and tighter pitch....anybody else want to chime in?....."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby orlandodan » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:04 am

OK,
I'll try the tuning. BTW, I just saw the J Lo DVD "Let's Get Loud". The timbalero sure looks like he is playing Pearl Elites. They sound great!

Thx,
OD
brcmdan
orlandodan

Postby orlandodan » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:17 am

...oops, on second look I think they are Tito Puentes...
brcmdan
orlandodan

Return to Timbales