Which LP stainles stee timbs have the best cascara

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby lurigancho » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:56 pm

Hi everybody. Which era of the Lp tito puente stainless steel timbales have a good solid cascara sound. for a big salsa band.What year? Thanks .
lurigancho
lurigancho

Postby pcastag » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:07 pm

look for the New Jersey models. they were much thicker than the current models made in Thailand. They have the green badge and say Palisades Park NJ on them.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby lurigancho » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:39 pm

On a previous discussion Raymond was talking about a previous generation of lp timbales that have a thicker shell, Which ones are these 3 generation of Lp timbales ?
lurigancho
lurigancho

Postby pcastag » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:50 pm

I'm telling you, it is the pallisades NJ models, Tito Puente, made in USA, green label.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby Raymond » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:43 pm

My understanding is that there is 3 generations of LP Timbales in stainless steel...The originals, with the green long badging that said Tito Puente on it, the second generation, that does not have the Tito Puente name with badges with generic LP badges, and the third and latest that has the badging in the LP in a black circle...They came back in using Tito Puente's name in the bronze model....

The first and second generation LP timbales have the bottom edge of the timbale folded, ala Mein's Luis Conte's, and the latest generation does not...

The differences....

First generation: Notice they are short "pailas" or drums...very hard stainless steel, the lugs are very low with small cascara area...The cascara is solid but the area is small..(I had an accident once with my knuckles and the lugs)However, in comparison with the last generation it does not project well cascara or drums...

Second generation...Like the first one hard solid cascara...More of a bassy sound that the current or original timbales...They improved in the cascara area.

Third generation....LP started using a thinner shell for the pailas or drums and get a lot of overtones when you play the cascara but that is something you hear close but not far and the volume and projection is great...Definitively a more sharper and higher tone sound...Much better hardware..with a tilting stand... The features of this timbales is what most timbales in the market try to emmulate, specially the cascara sound that I hate...(My Pearl MQs provide a better solid cascara area without sacrifying volume...The only one with that sound).

There you have it...I hope it helps! if you are going to buy an old version buy the second generation although people seek for the first "green Tito Puente" badges of the first ones because the second ones do not have Tito Puente anywhere on them...

Saludos!
Raymond

Return to Timbales