Practice Music - The music we must have

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Toby » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:15 pm

This topic is inconjunction with the practice routines topic!

Please post music that you guys use when practicing. The must have collection!

Please also include it's style and the artists involved (if neccesary).

Piece

PS. Thank yo to all that have posted somments of the other topics - your imput is invaluable
Toby

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:35 pm

Once again any music by Mongo and Ray B...then you have the WHOLE FANIA catalog that has just been re-released and re-mastered, so there is a LOT of music to play along with ..Willie Colon Johnny Pacheco, Orch. Flamboyan with Frankie Dante, Luis Ramirez, Ricardo Ray, and i could go on...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Jongo » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:50 pm

I like listening to a lot of the Fania stuff like JC was saying. I like to listen to it to pick up new stuff and play along with, also it is just great music. Hector Lavoe, Tito Puente and Celia Cruz did some work together on the Fania label that I like. Ray Barretto is great, I love his music and would highly recommend it.
Jongo

Postby onile » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:23 pm

Alafia Abures!
I hope that you are all well!

I would encourage anyone who is "begining" in percussion and who want's to "GIG" eventually, to broaden their horizons as well. Listen to Funk, Jazz, Folk (folklorico), Salsa, Charanga, Latin Pop (Santana/El Chicano/Malo/Azteca) etc. etc.

Listen to the contrasts of rythms interspersed throughout a tune, the bass, the drums and, obviously the congas (latin percussion).

I can still remember a tune by a German group called Kraftwerk. The number was composed entirely electronically, but done in such a way as to offer a variety of patterns layered on one another that really groved.

Abure JC! Do you remember a number back in the 70's or so called "Scorpio?" that was the first time I had ever heard the technique of rubbing your finger across the skin while playing!

Anyway, just a humble player offering a bit of advice!

Many blessings!

Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby Johnny Conga » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:16 pm

Yea I have the album by Dennis Coffey...yea the congas are way out front and sounded good to, that sound (ooooo) is what we call the "moose call" on congas...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
Johnny Conga

Postby onile » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:39 pm

I knew you were the one to go to on this one!

I used to love that number, still do, but can't find it!

Dennis Coffey? Hummmmmm I'm fixen to look for it now!

Mil Gracias Mi Socio!

Onile!
onile

Postby onile » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:49 pm

Oye JC!
I have another question for you and maybe you know this cat also!

Last night I played a concert at the Orpheum Theatre out here, and there was this Santana Cover Band on the billing. The conga player was a veterano of sorts, "Pondaza" (Robert Santiel). Does that name ring a bell?

He's gotta be in his 60's or so, he's played with a variety of Funk bands back in the day. WAR, LTD, I want to say Jeffry Osborn, to name a few.

Well, he used my rig last night, and Daaaaaaaaaaamn! the guy is talented Papa! I really enjoyed hearing him play, full of life and energy!

Just thought I'd ask, you seem to know most, if not all of the players out there!

Suave!

Onile!
onile

Postby Jongo » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:53 pm

Hey Onile, good point about listening to different styles of music. If you listen to some 70's funk you can hear some really great percussion in there. If you want to gig on a regular basis you have to be ready for anything. I am more of a amateur than a pro but being able to play some different Afro-Cuban, Brasilian, and Funk rhythms and riffs has been a big help for me and I may not get any extra gigs but I know that when I do gig I have some chops and a repertoire to bring with me.
Jongo

Postby onile » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:25 pm

Alafia Abure Jongo!

You are right in doing so, being prepared is always the way to go!
I've made my way in the music scene out here by knowing multiple rythms and being able to play them when called upon to do so.
I'm second on the "call" list out here in Phx. AZ, second mainly because of the fact that I have a "day gig" (availability is the factor).

Being able to come into a group, trio, or larger, and play whatever is called on (ChaChaCha, Bossa Nova, Samba, Salsa, Merengue, Funk) without a rehearsal, ensures that you'll be called on again, and recommended to others.

As for Funk, I was just listening to my man Donny Hathaway (Ibaye), his number called "The Ghetto"; his conguero, Earl Deruin (?sp), takes a mean solo on it!

Suave!

Onile!

Edited By onile on 1158006625
onile

Return to Timbales