What notes to tune 14' and 15' timbales? - Once and for all for the forum, anyone?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby iuyiuy » Sun May 08, 2005 12:30 am

Hi!

I´m trying to learn how to tune my 14' and 15' timbales.

When taking about congas everyone has very specific opinions on which notes to tune the different congas, but with timbales it seems harder.
I found someone who vaguely described different relations but not specific notes. But I´m thinking there must be some common standards that the most common sizes; 15', 14' and 13' are tuned.
I know many say, just tune them after your favorite recordings, but I´m new to timbales and just by listening I dont know what sizes they are playing, and what if I try to tune my 15' after a 14' etc, my concern is I´ll tighten the skins to hard a risk damaging the drums.

So does anyone know the common notes for 14' and 15'?

Thanx!
iuyiuy

Postby zaragemca » Mon May 09, 2005 3:21 pm

Greeting and welcome, the tuning of the Timbales have always been to the taste of the timbaleros,(even when somebody might try to create a unique sound),to me, it is my percussion-voice and I keep it like that,but the sound of the instruments would depend in the material of the shells,the dimensions of the shells,the type of head,the sticks which is used to play,etc.,and in the recording, all of that is subject to change trough the equalization-compression,placing of mikes,types of mikes,and software used to process the track.For the individuals starting to play it, could be of some benefits to use some musical notation,(to create the foundation in which to work).Dr.Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1115652966
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby iuyiuy » Wed May 18, 2005 9:42 pm

Thanx, I'm just bough Lp Tito Puente steel timbales with the skin that comes with them. Does that make it easier to give some more specific.. As I said, I am most afraid of tearing the skins if tuning to high, or is that no concern? I mean can a 14` easily be tuned as a 13`? As in if you tune them after a record without knowing the sizes that the timbalero on the record is playing?

Thanx again.. :)
iuyiuy

Postby Raymond » Fri May 20, 2005 12:37 pm

iuyjuy,

Can't help you in advise on how to tune the timbales using "notes" or pitches....I've done it always by listening...My recommendation is to listen to records or live performances and try to identify a sound you like. There are various schools of tuning...the highest pitch tuning attributed to the "new school."

Personally, a very high "macho" sounding too crispy is not of my preference....Yes, you should be concern to tear up your heads if you tune to high so be easy on them.

Tuning gets affected by the type of head you are using and by the thickness of the stick...(Material of the shells affect more)....Check some of the old threds or posts here in the timbale section in which we discuss matters about heads, sticks...

Sorry can't help you specifically but if you do not want to wait, get that tuning wrench and stick and start tuning your timbales by "ear"....I bet you will find your sound...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Firebrand » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:07 pm

I'd recommend that you emulate the sound of your favorite timbalero. Endel Dueño likes to pump up the "macho" head (high pitch) to a crackling high. Some of the Old Cuban records (Buenavista Social Club style) like to have a warm sound. Tito Puente usually had it around the middle of the tonal range.

For me, I like to have a middle point between the Tito Puente sound and the Endel sound. I don't have a particular "tone" that I tune it too. I first tune the macho to a cutting tone, but not one that if I was doing a solo, would be annoying. You can tell that when it's too high, the sound is too high pitched an annoying. Warm it up a little bit by bringing it down.

The Hembra can be tuned a 5th apart for a conga style sound between the Timbales, or you can tune it an 8th apart to emulate the Bongo. Depends on what you're going for.

There is no right or wrong, but, if you want to be happy with the sound, listen to your favorite timbalero, find out what tones he's got them, and tune them to those. If it works for him, it will work for you.
Firebrand

Postby Diceman » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:19 pm

Another point in my view is that the tuning of the timbales should also not clash with the tuning of the congas. In other words all drums should make a melodic chord IYKWIM

Just my preference, but to hear drums NEARLY playing the same note sounds awful!!

Diceman
Diceman

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:58 pm

I was taught to tune the timbales also to middle C and G, below middle C...Tito P . used to tune his timbales to the tune they would play to start a horse race at the track,of course he was using 3 sets of timbales when he did that...I just know melody, but dont know the title of the tune outside the fact theyplay it at the race track before a race.....he also tuned his drum set the same way...I know cause I saw him do it and that's how I know...."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby cubanrcn » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:01 pm

So tuning the LP Timbalitos should be done the same way? By ear or should it be a higher pitch than the 14 & 15?
cubanrcn

Postby TampabayRey » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:27 pm

I'm no expert! Still at early stage of learning, but I tune them to a C & G and start from there. This way I can adjust to a softer or higher pitch sound.
Rey
TampabayRey

Postby Jongo » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:56 pm

I just got a new set of timbales and I am having a little bit of trouble tuning them. My old set was a 14" 15" Matador knock off that sounded kind of clangy but I was able to tune them to where I wanted them. My new timbales are so much nicer 13" 14" JCR with Remo heads. They sound really nice and bright and clear but I can't quite get them tuned where I want them. I am almost thinking that after playing bad timbales I got used to that sound and now with a better instrument it may require a finer touch to tune and get the sound I want
Jongo

Postby mcraghead » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:29 am

I've struggled with this aspect of learning timbales myself. This discussion is the first time I've ever heard anyone give a specific recomendation (C and G). Usually everyone just says "tune to your favorite timbalero". First off, that assumes you have a decent ear to begin with in order to pick out what the timbalero is doing in the midst of everything else that is going on in the song. Some people have a good ear without any musical training at all and others have to work at it really hard. I fall into that later group.

There are also lots of other factors that affect the sound, like drum size, head types, the various different ways you can strike a drum, changing the tone with other methods (i.e. leaning with the elbow), etc. If you can't see what someone is doing, trying to match a tone CAN (not suggesting that it always will) put you off the mark.

Of course it should be personal preference as to how an individual chooses to tune, but it's nice to see that a few have the courage to make a recomendation for a guideline to start from. Thank you. I, for one am eager to find out how close I am to the C, G.
Michael K. Craghead

"Nunca Pescao, Siempre Tiburon"
mcraghead

Postby 82-1089072427 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:33 am

:cool:

Edited By RumBa808 on 1168975270
82-1089072427

Postby Diceman » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:42 pm

'Here Comes the Bride' is the interval or difference between the two, but congas also can be tuned to C and G so chose another pair of notes with the same interval to make the congas and timbales a melodic set, eg A and D or F and Bb and make some music!!
Sorry guys, it is a bee in my bonnet that percussion should be as tuned as the band.

My two timbales worth.

Diceman
Diceman

Return to Timbales