Old & New LP's tito puentes(sound difference)

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby lurigancho » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:59 pm

Hello has anyone noticed a drum sound difference between the old and new version of the tito puente timbales (Tone, Sustain etc...). According to an LP ad the shells had been "improved"

Thanks.

Edited By lurigancho on 1159128481
lurigancho
lurigancho

Postby Raymond » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:12 pm

Yes, I have noticed it (and mentioned it here).

In essence the "improvement" of the third generation of LP timbales is that they project more (hence, it has more overtones). My opinion is that the new increase in volume is due to the drums having thinner shells in the new models. (My opinion because I am not an engineer or something like that to actually say that is the real thing...).

The use of thinner shells is noticeable when playing the cascara. The cascara of the old, 1st and 2nd generation, is warmer and "quieter", the cascara in the new model has overtones that for some people will be annoying since while playing you are going to hear a lot of overtones. (However, to those far away will listened to them fine). In regards to overall sound, the old versions are warmer in sound and a more "solid" cascara, however, without volume.

Not because I endorse them, the best cascara in the market are by the Pearl timbales, both the original in brass, and the Marc Quinones model. Most new timbales in the market "emulate" the same thinner shells of the the LP with the exceptions noted.

I hope this helps! Saludos!
Raymond

Return to Timbales