Splash cymbal for timbales - any advice?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Jongo » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:08 pm

I am thinking about adding a splash cymbal to my timbales. I don't have any cymbals so I am starting from scratch. What are some good manufacturers and what is a good size 8", 10", 12"? I am not sure, so any help is appreciated. Thanks
Jongo

Postby OLSONGO » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:53 pm

Jongo, is really up to you and what kind of effect do you want to create and the space you are playing ; in or out. Personally when I play timbales I have a 13" crash quick and cutting, for bigger spaces in or out I use a 16" light crash cuts quick and has volume, also a 10 " & 8 " splashes close in size but sound different, the 10" has a crashy splashy sound and the 8" is the sweet crash and I also may have a 18" ride for those swing feel moments in the Latin Jazz goup and is great for the intros, doing long mallet rolls. I tell you... cymbals can make a big difference. Jongo if interested I have a line to Istanbul Cymbals hand hammered in Turkey, and for the company price you can beat them. go ahead and read on Istanbuls. Nice overall cymbals.

Paz OLSONGO
OLSONGO

Postby tamboricua » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:22 pm

Jongo wrote:I am thinking about adding a splash cymbal to my timbales. I don't have any cymbals so I am starting from scratch. What are some good manufacturers and what is a good size 8", 10", 12"? I am not sure, so any help is appreciated. Thanks

Hi Jongo,

Sabian does have available in their extensive catalog a AA 13" El Sabor Salsa Splash. Oversized for added power and punch.

Check it out!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Jongo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:30 pm

Hey guys good info. I will have to consider all those options. I am not sure the sound that I want so I am going to have to go to my favorite drum shop and hear some cymbals. How well does the LP claw work in attaching a cymbal to a timbale set?
Jongo

Postby torelli » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:59 pm

Jongo wrote:Hey guys good info. I will have to consider all those options. I am not sure the sound that I want so I am going to have to go to my favorite drum shop and hear some cymbals. How well does the LP claw work in attaching a cymbal to a timbale set?

I note this topic is old, but oh well. May as well answer.

The LP Claw works fine. I own about ten of them for use on my drumset and timbales.

I have bought many many cymbals over the years, Paiste, Zildjian, Sabian etc etc. I have also bought other cymbals from some of the new lines such as Istanbul, Turkish plus some newer lines by older companies now making professional sounding cymbals.

For timbale crash and splash cymbals I prefer something that is bright and has a fast decay. Paiste 2002 14 and 15" crashes are great for nice punctuations. The same can be said for Zildjian A cymbals and A Custom cymbals. The A Customs having a slightly faster decay.

For larger cymbals and darker tones I use either my Sabian 17" crash that also doubles for a ride at times if I am playing with lighter sticks. Or a K Zildjian in either 17 or 18" sizes.

I am also now a great fan of the Meinl Byzance line. These cymbals are quite a bit cheaper than the Sabian, Zildjian or Paiste lines. But this should not deter one as they sound very nice in the tradition of true hand hammered Turkish cymbals.

I also have a very high opinion of the lines available by another Turkish company called Bosphorus. Every cymbal made by this company is a trule hand hammered cymbal and no 2 cymbals are alike. Ignacio Berroa has had some influence helping with their Latin based lines and the results are truly spectacular.

Edited By torelli on 1165172514
torelli

Return to Timbales