timbale heads & sticks - talking heads

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby twinsbongo » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:30 am

i have been playing timbales for almost 3 years.i first started with lp heads, then with evans and now i have remo ebony single ply. anything better out there.about the sticks i have been using the alex acuna conquistador. i guess the ones you can buy in McDonalds.anything better out there. help help
remember i am not a timbalero i am a bongocero so is probably me being piki
saludos mi gente
julio ft worth
twinsbongo

Postby tamboricua » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:24 pm

Julio,

Try Remo Ambassadors Clear drumheads if you are looking for a brighter, open contemporary timbal sound. If you are into a more traditional timbal sound try Remo's Ambassadors Coated or Remo's Renaissance drumheads.

Regarding timbale sticks check out Vic Firth's TMB2. This new model had been in the market for about a year, very nice timbale sticks.

I have plenty for sale if you want to try them. Give me a call!!!

Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1169309718
tamboricua

Postby twinsbongo » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:18 am

que pasa ginorio es julio el de ft worth. dois te bendiga. llamame cuando puedas. i need some of those sticks you have for sale.give me a call
twinsbongo

Postby Raymond » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:53 pm

The most used timbale heads out there are either Remo Ambassador or Evans G1. The clear ones will give you more overtones and the coated ones will project less but will take away the overtones. Of course, this is the modern sound.

Heads with a more old sound try to get Remo Renaissance or Remo Emperors. (Thicker heads with a more sloppy sound).

Sticks???? Depends what you look for...the most popularaare Vic Firth Alex Acuna. The Alex Acuna Conquistador model, red one, are thinner sticks and the El Palo, purple one, is a thicker stick and a longer one. Of course, for your information, a thinner stick will be easier to manage in your hands but it will not project or provide you volume like a thicker stick. (Thinner sticks will also give you a crispier sound and thicker sticks will give you a fatter sound).

Other brands of sticks I recommend are Zildjians'. They have a regular one that is priced OK. They have the Giovanni model that is shorter and thinner and a Luis Conte. In my opinion the best sticks b Zildjian are the Marc Quinones. The MQs are are pretty good if you want reach because they are longer than your regular sticks. (The MQ sticks have what Zildjian calls are dip or red material in the handle. However, they are the most expensive timbale sticks in the market). Marc Quinones sticks come in two models, a salsa model, which is a thinner stick, and a rock model, that is a thicker model.

Vater makes a pretty good stick that comes in maple and hickory. During NAMM this year, I checked Pro-Mark's Mambo sticks that were pretty good, however, might be to thick for some people. (I like my sticks to be thicker than the regular ones out there).

For sticks, the best you could do is go to the store and play with them in a pad and see which ones feels more comfortable. Don't buy sticks without tryinging them.

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on 1169570043
Raymond

Return to Timbales