Advice on buying timbales?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Chelsea » Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:49 am

Hi all,

I've become more and more interested in playing timbales of late. My conga teacher has started me on some basic patterns for timbales during my lessons, with cascara/clave etc.

Is there anything I should know when looking for a set of timbales to buy? Are the larger sizes better, and what kind of material should I look for? And what's the difference between key and wrench tuned?

I'd appreciate any advice!

Chelsea :)
"Every instrument has to abide by the Clave. Stay on the Clave and you'll make it." - Tito Puente
Chelsea

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:40 am

Here is a list of timbales ....Tito Puente LP Brass 13 14 inch.-Pearl Elite Brass timbales 12 and 13 inch. Matador timbales 12 13 inch silver finish. These are the more common models today. The solid brass ones are teh best. Or if you can find an old set of Leedy's or Slingerland timbales,that would be a catch,for sure. Just look for solidly made instrument with all the accoutraments. check out the drum catalogs and do a price check or go on ebay and see who might be selling aset for a reasonable price.......At your Service.....
JC JOHNNY CONGA.. ;) MONGO LIVES!.....
JohnnyConga

Postby Michael S » Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:42 pm

Hey JC, I'm curious about the Meinl Luis Conte timbales? Have you any experience with them? They look like they'd be pretty nice, solid brass, hammered. I think they come in steel also. Were there traditional sizes for timbales? I see them in all different diameters and depths. What, in your opinion, is the best sound for cascara, brass, bronze, or steel?
Michael S

Postby Timbalero del norte » Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:14 pm

Buy the absolute best timbales you can afford. The difference between the cheapies and the good ones is light years.

I own a set of LP Tito Puente Bronze Timbales and I am continually amazed at how well they are put together.
Timbalero del norte

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:55 pm

I'm sorry I don't endorse anything by Louis Conte. I endorse Pearl Elite Brass timbales. chek them out!.....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA........
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:57 pm

For me "real" solid brass is the best sound for cascara. Bronze then steel in that order...JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby RitmoBoricua » Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:23 pm

Hi, How are you Mr. JC? I have a set of Afro Brass timbales, what is now Pearl and I really like them a lot, specially that ringy sound, to me the ringy sound give the "abanico" some extra depth, I mean when I do my "abanicos" remind me so much of that legenday and classic sound of the legendary and very influencial Orestes Vilato during his ternure with the "Giant" of Salsa Ray Barretto. What is you take on the ringy sound? I know a lot of people does not like it. Take Care :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:56 pm

If there ringing too much take a couple of strips of tape and put them on the underside of the head on the timbales do a X on the head with the tape and see if it cuts down on the overring. I personally haven't tried them yet cause I have a pair of 1960 slingerland solid brass timbales that i have had for over 25 years. I haven't really bought anything new in a long time. I keep my stuff in good shape. My heads on my timbales have only been changed once in those 25 years. At your Service.....JC JOHNNY CONGA MONGO LIVES!... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Raymond » Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:39 am

I recommend get the top of the line. (If you can afford them, if not there is some alternatives which are pretty good).

Also, the kind of sound you want will determine the material of the timbales, stainless steel and steel will give you more volume and their sound and cascara is sharp. Brass has a warmer sound. Stainless steel is a great material and do not require as much maintenance as brass or steel which eventually rusts.

Personally, I have LP Tito Puentes in Stainless Steel and Meinl Luis Conte in Brass. The LPs are easier to handle and I love their sound. Their easy to clean and maintain. Parts for LP timbales are easier to get than any other brand. The Luis Conte have a great set up but their stand is bulkier than LP. Their cascara is dry. Very old-fashioned sounding. My only complaint with the Meinl is their cowbell holder set up which is hard to keep tight. Be aware that brass timbales have to be constantly been cleaned in the cascara area and overall because they lose their "gold lacquer" quick. LP Timbales factory mounted heads are more reliable than Luis Conte
s factory mounted heads. (I've seen some Meinl models coming already with Evans G1s but they are still models with the cheap heads).

In the budget area, the best timbales are Meinl Marathon Timbales, they are in steel (although there is a brass looking model). The (LP) Matador timbales have a bad set up for their cowbell and they have a cascara that sounds cheap. (If you buy budget line you will have to get new heads)

Cannot say too much about Pearls or Toca's or even Remo. The only problem I see with Pearl Elite model is that they only have a brass model and they are sold separate. (Pailas, stands, holders, etc, separate. Not like the other companies. Pearl's Primero I believe come together with everything but they are the budget line).

Best size for timbales to get the 14 and 15 combinantion.
Raymond

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:03 pm

Vaya, Raymond Welcome!

RitmoBoricua! :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby Chelsea » Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:55 pm

Thanks a lot for your answers everyone. It's always interesting to hear which types different people prefer, and about the strong and weak points of different brands.

I have Meinl congas, so I might stick with the brand that's served me well so far. (Wishful thinking that I might be able to afford the Luis Conte model, tho.)

What are LP's Karl Perazzo Marathon model like, anyone know?

Thanks again.

Edited By Chelsea on Mar. 10 2003 at 06:57
"Every instrument has to abide by the Clave. Stay on the Clave and you'll make it." - Tito Puente
Chelsea

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:49 pm

Hi, the Karl Perrazo's timbales are Matador made by LP. Like Raymond were saying the main thing I see with the Matador is the cowbell mount , its a joke. But beside that they do the job at a fairly nice price. Take Care :) !
RitmoBoricua

Postby beeper » Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:09 am

i want to buy timbales, but i can't afford to get the 'intermediate' models, what about the Pearl Primero brand? what are their good points and bad points? will they suit a beginner for a few years, until i can afford better ones?
thanx
beeper
beeper

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:06 pm

Hi. I think if you are really passionate about the music what your pocket can afford will suit yourself until you can afford better drums. You may be able to find a quality set at a real good price you just have to look around a little longer. There are plenty of places on the web like ebay, music go round etc where you may find a good deal. Take Care! :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby Raymond » Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:37 pm

Pearl Primeros, based on the photo on their site, look pretty good. One of the problems with budget timbales is their "cowbell holder" and its set up. Primero's look good in that department. They appear to have a tall paila which gives a very traditional sound... Matador's are out for me because of a "cheap cowbell holder set up."

My only problem with Pearl's Primero is they are 13 and 14. I am a 14 and 15 kind of guy. (There is something about them that I cannot get my "abanicos" right...call me clumsy..also their sound is not the same...). Personally, I have not seen or heard Primero's.

An option......Meinl's Marathon in steel are outstanding. Cowbell holder and stand are the same as Luis Conte's top of the line, except some chrome in the Luis Conte's stand that in the Marathon is plastic. They were my very first set of timbales. They are actually the "Amadito Valdes" and Floatunes, which the pailas or drums are powdered black, but they are in steel (not stainless though) and are 14 and 15 not 13 and 14 like the Amadito's and Floatunes. In my opinion a good buy.

Good shopping!
Raymond

Next

Return to Timbales