Natural Timbale Heads?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby deadhead » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:12 pm

I have a really old set of wfl timbales that I am trying to restore. I went to a local music store yesterday with the rims to try to find some heads. The sizes are different than todays drums. I think they are 13 1/2 and 10 1/2. Anyways, they just don't make heads that will fit. I'm thinking my best bet would be to get some flesh hoops made and tuck some natural skins my self. My question is what type of skin to use and where to find it. I would think some thin calf skin would be the best, but I really have no clue. Has anyone had experience using natural skin on timbales?
deadhead

Postby twinsbongo » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:53 am

saludos people:
you best bet on that restoration proyect will be contacting www.vintagedrum.com. those people specialized on vintage drums like the timbales set you have.on that website you will find all the info you need and also their tel#.
GOOD LUCK
JULIO FT WORTH TX
twinsbongo

Postby deadhead » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:11 am

Well, I had some rings custom made for me and my percussion teacher has some extra goatskin that we are going to try on the timbales. I will share my results along with some pics when they are finished, hopefully at my lesson this thursday.
deadhead

Return to Timbales