Need help in locating JCR timbales... - Locating manufacturer/distributor

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Dejata » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:47 pm

I am in the market to purchase a set of timbales. I do not know much about the instrument, but I do like the sound. I was told JCR timbales would be a good buy. I was also told to try to find a number for Cali in N.Y.

Are any of you familiar with the JCR brand and how I can find a seller? I live in Gaithersburg, MD and a dealer in the area would be ideal.

I know you get what you pay for, but I am trying to stay within a reasonable range. Just recently became part of a band, I play congas, but I would like to expand my horizon with the timbales.

Hope someone can help me out with this.

Thank you
"Everyday is a learning experience...welcome it"
Dejata

Postby onile » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:08 am

Alafia Abure Dejata!
I hope that you are well and in an abundance of blessings!

Welcome to the forum!
Your best contact would be an Abure that we currently have on this website;

Isaac, you can send him an e-mail ; funkytradition@yahoo.com

He's an official representative of JCR percussion!

Buena Suerte!

Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby Raymond » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:52 pm

Yeah, Isaac represents JCR so check him out.

I think Cali, that is JCR's owner, has an arrangement with some of the Guitar Centers and Sam Ash. As a specialty shop, sometimes Cali will have timbales and sometimes not. (They sell pretty quick).

I've played them and they are made of stainless steel and have big drums or pailas versus the smaller pailas of the major brands.

Be ready to pay close to $500 if you try to get them with a dealer.....Try to get them straight from JCR...My experience with him is that he is OK with it. Call him....His phone number is (718) 293-6589. This will definitively be cheaper....

If Cali's are too expensive...there are some other good brands in timbales out there for a good price. My recommendations are Pearl's Marc Quinones Signature Series, for around $380 and LP Tito Puentes for around $425. (Of course, my highest recommendation, and are the ones I play, are for the Pearl's)

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on 1169646884
Raymond

Postby Dejata » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:58 pm

Thank you Onile and Isaac for responding. I apologize for not writing sooner. From just seeing feedback on the JCR's some people love 'um and some people kind of knock them. I know I should try to play different sets before I buy, but that may be difficult to do them all.

I kind of like the idea that the JCR's are not mass produced, thinking this would offer superior workmanship, but maybe that's not always true.

Isaac, you mentioned the Pearls, but which one's?

Also once you bought your Pearls, did you have to change the heads or modify anything else?

Also I saw some wooden timables, but right away I was a little doubtful. Do either of you have experience with the wood versions?

I was told also the width of the timbale makes a difference. Some are 6, 6.5, 7, or even 10 inches. What's your take on that and also would 14 & 15 inch diameter be the better over the 13 & 14 or even smaller versions?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks guys,

Dejata
Dejata

Postby Dejata » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:04 am

Isaac...

My bad, I see you play the Marc Quinones Signature Series...

Peace,

Dejata
Dejata

Postby Dejata » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:20 am

Raymond...

MY Bad again... I'm calling you Isaac... whew... I better quit while I am ahead....

Peace,

Dejata
Dejata

Postby Raymond » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:53 pm

Dejata,

No problem you are calling me Isaac. JCR Timbales are great and they sell like hotcakes. However, they come and become available whenever Cali makes them. Sometimes, he makes several of them and some times he goes in a dry spell. (He is like that with major instruments like congas, bongos, and timbales. However, with cowbells, he is always making them and in some way he does the same that with the major instruments, he makes certain models or pitches or styles available for awhile then he stops making them for awhile and goes after another style, pitch, etc)

They are good. Last time I was in the shop (around 1 year ago) he was making a new batch. He puts Remo Rennaisances to them. They have the old fashioned sound. However, I think he was making them 13/14 and not 14/15.

You could always call Cali directly and ask if he will be making them or maybe he could make them specially for you. (Be ready to pay....)

The Pearl MQs???? Are probably the only timbales in the market that come with heads you do not have to change. They come with Remo Ambassador Clear, that are the heads most people are using right now.

The rest of the features of the MQs I have "plugged" here a lot. (Check other posts). Their main features are improvement to what the standard is with other timbales and most timbaleros do not like. (Tuning from the top, a larger cascara area, etc, etc)

There are other brands like the LPs that are outstanding timbales too. However, LPs are a little more expensive but nevertheless a good buy. Meinl Luis Conte and their other top of the line timbales are also good timbales but I've noticed their price has gone up. (Even more expensive than LP)

In regards to materials, timbales should be bought in some kind of metal, steel, brass, bronze, stainless steel, etc. A wood timbale will not have a good sounding cascara and the sound will be opaque for a timbale.

Depths, thickness, etc. Well..a taller paila or drum will give you a little more of volume. A thicker paila will give you more of a dry cascara sound without the overtones. The "new norm" has become to have thinner pailas or drums to have more overtones for more volume. (The Pearl's do not have that overtone problem and have a drier cascara sound because of thicker shells).

14/15 or 13/14? Well, the original size combo was 13/14 but somewhow LP increased it to 14/15 and has become the norm for timbales in the market and what most players use. Some people prefer the smaller combo, some dont. Personally, I prefer the bigger combo. (A smaller combo will give you a cheaper price).

Hard for a decision? Is a matter of what you want, like and your budget

I hope this helps! Feel free to continue to ask questions and let us know which way you go!

Edited By Raymond on 1170777762
Raymond

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:23 pm

As a Pearl Endorsee I prefer the "BRASS" 13 14 inch with the black trim...for me they SMOKE!...."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Dejata » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:47 pm

Thanks JC & Raymond...

Your advice has been invaluable... I couldn't have gotten any better. I'll let you know how this all comes out.
Dejata

Postby pcastag » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:08 pm

Something you may want to take into account is buying some used timbales. the old green label LP drums are awesome, and can be bought on e-bay for about 200. for the set, sometimes 250.00. The newer models are not as good in my opinion because the shells are much thinner ( brighter sound or saving money?) In terms of the new production drums our percussionist is a pearl endorser and I will vouch for the quality of the Marc Quinones model. They are also very heavy!! The other drums i have played recently that sound excellent are the meinl black drums ( can't remember their name, it's the Afro-Cuban all stars timbalero model). I'm pretty sure JCR timbales are made of thick surgical stainless steel, something very unique. I would again suggest to buy some old Tito Puente's on e-bay, unless you have to have new drums.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby Dejata » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:12 am

pcastag,

thank you for your advice... you make a lot of sense about buying used, especailly when it's a totally new experience for me. I'm still leaning towards a new set though. I really would buy used, not oppose to it, but I'm too new in this venture to realize that there are some ways to cut corners and still come out ahead.

I know that last comment doesn't make a lot of sense, but I want to see how far this goes before I have to opt for a used set.

Thanks on the info. So far the forum members here really do know what they're talking about, and I feel greatful I will be able learn a lot just by reading and asking questions.

Thanks for being here... :)

Peace
Dejata

Postby Isaac » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:56 pm

The JCR Timables are usually the 14/15" set. We make less of the
13/14". Orders can be made for you most of the year.

~ ISAAC
Sales JCR Percussion
funkytradition@yahoo.com
Isaac

Return to Timbales