Timbalero - N'Klabe - Current Timbalero

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby mcraghead » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:21 am

I saw N'Klabe perform in Arlington, VA over the weekend. I really like their timbalero. He plays so effortlessly, even when he solos, and he seems so young (I would guess a teenager). Does anyone know his name? Unfortunately my Spanish is very weak and if they mentioned him by name I missed it. Thanks.
Michael K. Craghead

"Nunca Pescao, Siempre Tiburon"
mcraghead

Postby Raymond » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:38 pm

His name is Marcos Rodriguez. (I think I got his last name right).

Heralded as one of the good percussionists in Puerto Rico of the new "breed". (Him, Manolito Rodriguez of La Sonora Poncena and Picorelli of NG2 are the ones in the forefront. Also, Raulito Rosario of NG2, who is timbalero of NG2 for awhile and now is the conga player. Raulito like me are former students of Tito de Gracia and Raulito plays with Tito's jazz group). I have played with most of them and they are very talented. Check LP's site, www.lpmmusic.com or www. congahead.com, and you wil find photos and articles about some of them).

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby mcraghead » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:49 pm

I found it! It's Marcos Lopez Ayala. The article on lpmusic.com lists him as 16 years old, but I don't know when the article was written.

The article says, "His father is trumpeter and singer, Marcos Malory, and his grandfather is singer, Sammy Ayala, founder of 'Rafael Cortijo and his Combo', and currently the band leader of 'Herencia'". He's got good genes.

From what I've read he's had an impressive career already. I wish him continued success.

Thanks for the info, Raymond. You're THE MAN!!! :)

Edited By mcraghead on 1176922353
Michael K. Craghead

"Nunca Pescao, Siempre Tiburon"
mcraghead

Return to Timbales