Meinl Luis Conte Brass,Made in?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby lurigancho » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:27 pm

Hi I've just got my meinls 14 & 15 ,they are not that heavy or solid I think, my old brass Lp's seem to be beefier. Does anyone own or has played these Meinl timbales?
Where were the first generation of Luis Conte Brass Timbales made at?
Thanks in advance for your comments

Mike.
lurigancho
lurigancho

Postby Raymond » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:12 pm

I had once a Meinl Luis Conte in Brass. They are good timbales. (They look nice too)! Believe they were made in Thailand just like everything else that is mass produced.

In regards to the difference with "older timbales", and I have discussed this before, newer timbales have a thinner shell that helps in the volume of the timbales and specially the cascara sound. However, the complaint is the lots of overtone you get from newer timbales. (The aforementioned is something that is not notice by the public unless you are close by like the timbale player and/or other musicians. It is claimed that thinner shells gives you a sharper sound.

What I call first and second generation LP have thicker shells and the old Ludwig, Slingerland and others have thicker shells too. The cascara is more solid and have a more "bassy" sound. However, it is claim they do not project volume as well, hence, the change to thinner shells. (I bet economies in less metal in "paila" has something to do too)!

My five cents on this!

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby lurigancho » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:36 am

Thanks Raymond.
I've just got my Meinls Luis Conte brass, and I noticed the shell isnt that thick compare to LP tito puentes and JCR's ,but the tone is great so the cascara. Do you still gig with your contes timbales?
lurigancho
lurigancho

Postby Raymond » Tue May 01, 2007 1:51 pm

Lurigancho.

No. I don't use the Luis Conte Brass anymore and sold them. Technically, I can't use them since I am Pearl endorser. Had them before as an alternative to my other timbales back then that were stainless steel. You know the brand.

Pearl Elite Marc Quinones Signature Timbales is what I use now and I am in the process of getting a Pearl Elite that is in brass.

Saludos
Raymond

Return to Timbales