Plating stainless steel LP Puentes(Brass or Gold)

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby lurigancho » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:35 pm

Hi everyone. I want to gold or brass plate my Lp stainless steel thunder and puente timbales, since the plating will get inside the shells ,Will it change its sound? Thanks in advance.
lurigancho
lurigancho

Postby Raymond » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:34 pm

Not an "engineer" but common sense tells me it will change the sound..

If you get plating, you will add to the thickness of the timbale and most likely it will affect the cascara sound and the overall sound of the timbale. (I think it will give you a "thicker cascara sound", losing a little bit of the sharpness, and the sound of the timbales will be more "bassy"...I might eliminate some of the "natural overtones" of the timbales...Who know it might sound like an "old school" timbales....).

My opinion...not sure but I think that is what is going to happen...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby franc » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:20 am

raymond,
hope all is well and dandy!! i have not yet heard in the forum maybe i had but not remember. how would you grade the ''matador steel timbales''? the shell, the steel, sound etc,etc, gracias, mi pana!!! franc :O
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Raymond » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:19 pm

The Matador timbales are OK but LP fails in the cowbell post set up and the heads. Not the best sound but is acceptable. The heads are not great and the cowbell post is awful. (It gives the timbale a cheap look).

There are other "budget" options that look and sound more professional, i.e, Meinl Marathon and even Pearl's own Primero. (All budget timbales have to have the heads replaced and is a problem with could live with but the cowbell post that Matador has is unacceptable).

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby zaragenca » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:26 pm

I do agree with Raymond,every time you change,or add it up to the original foundation of the' Alloy',(metal shells), the interaction between the skin and shells would be modified,(in relation to the porcentage of the metalllic composition), brass, and gold are good conducters of wave,(which facilitate this for the sound)...In other to know the exact response of the instrument it is needed to know the proportion of the 'Alloy',(amount of each metals)...Dr. Zaragemc
International Club of Percussionists
zaragenca

Return to Timbales