LOS TIMBALERS

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Raymond » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:35 pm

I wanted to share with you a photo I took while at NAMM 2007, the instrument convention, in January 2007.

While at NAMM I noticed that all the top recording salsa timbaleros of the 80s and 90s were present and I wanted to take a picture for them.

From left to right, yours truly, Karl Perlozzo (hiding in the back), unidentified lady (friend of Karl), Marc Quinones, Charlie Sierra, Tito de Gracia, Santiago "Chago" Martinez, and in the front David Cuba Rosario. (Karl I know is not actually a salsa timbalero but he was there)!

Couldn't get Chino Nunez, Luisito Quintero and Robert Vilera who were there but could not get them all at the same place.

Take care!

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... M_2007.JPG
Raymond

Postby GuruPimpi » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:42 pm

Raymond, Lucky one! Must have been good feeling!

Did you had the opportunity to jam with them?

Pimpi
GuruPimpi

Postby tamboricua » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:16 pm

Raymond,

Cool shot, thanks for sharing!!!

The lady is Vicky Randle percussionist on Jay Leno's Tonight Show.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby GuruPimpi » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:37 pm

Jorge!

Thanks for additional informing, nice to see female percussionist; not seen so frequently!

Pimpi
GuruPimpi

Postby Raymond » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:22 pm

Opportunity to jam with them? Yes, sure. One of the things that happens in NAMM is the ocassional "impromptu" jams at the booths of each company. However, they are limited since we are supposed to keep it down to certain levels because people are doing business.

The two places you will see jams going on are at Pearl and LP. Either we go and jam at LP or the LP guys come to our booth.

Since I was in the plane, I was planning the picture since I flew with Tito, Charly, Paoli Mejias, Chago Martinez, Javier Oquendo, David LaMole, David Cuba, Pablito Padin.

Yeap. Vicky Randle. I know the name but did not recognize her.

One night we visited this place in LA that 17 of us got on stage to jam and solo. The list was impressive....Paoli, Javier Oquendo, Karl Perlozzo, Little Johnny, Marc Q, Bobby Allende, Robert Vilera, Pedrito Martinez, Eric Velez, Carlitos Soto, Jesse Caraballo, Ralph Irrizary and lots of other talented people I did not know. It could be intimidating to start doing solos with your heroes...

NAMM is always a great experience!

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on 1173187398
Raymond

Postby yambumba » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:56 pm

With much respect to all these master timble players. I just don't see them forwarding the art of timbale playing. There are a few young guys I've seen in N.Y that can blow, how about we talk about them and have them join our network. Man there are some killer videos on this youtube thing I just ran into.
I'm just trying to catch up to all you guys.
yambumba

Postby 109-1176549166 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:48 pm

Raymond wrote:(Paragraphs snipped)

One night we visited this place in LA that 17 of us got on stage to jam and solo. The list was impressive....Karl Perlozzo,...

(Paragraph snipped)

Hola Raymond,

With all due respect my brother, Karl's last name is correctly spelled as "Perazzo".

I've been following "Santana" since the Woodstock days in the late 60's, although Karl wasn't with the band then yet.
109-1176549166

Postby Raymond » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:23 pm

Thanks about the correction with Karl Perrazo. The sweetest guy to meet. A true gentleman and musician.

Regarding these guys....well their contribution to the latin genre, although some might not be considered marvels like Giovanni Hidalgo, these are the guys that recorded in the salsa genre in the 80s and 90s in New York and Puerto Rico and continue recording and are timbaleros sought all the time. Good sight readers and complete musicians. (Talking here about Marc, Tito de Gracia, Charlie Sierra, Santiago "Chago" Martinez).

When I got back into music in the 80s these guys were the ones doing the things....Maybe not everybody's favorite but they were the ones that followed the Nicky Marrero's Oreste Vilato, Johnny Almendra, Jimmy Delgado, Endel Dueno, Cuqui Santos, etc, from the 70s.

Believe it or not, the 80s kids never got the credit or the chance of being showcase like the 70s case. (These 80s kids are in their 40s now and with perhaps thousands of recordings each. ). Like Tito de Gracia told me, and perhaps the best all around of all of them, it was that they recorded romantic salsa and the producers never got them a chance to showcase their chops and they were in the "session bands" that recorded sometimes overshadowed by the main singers...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby franc » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:24 am

raymond,
congratulation!!! is sure a privilage to perform with these greats percussionist. which you success always, my best, franc :laugh:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby zaragenca » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:36 pm

I was observing the situation with the Romantic Salsa, it was a conflict,some people would like the lyrics,but they arrange some breaks in the middle of it, that the dancers hate,so I've been observing that many dancers don't want to dance to it,(ones you are in motion a cut in the middle of it doesn't work for the dancers).Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragenca

Return to Timbales