best cowbells

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Re: best cowbells

Postby Raymond » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:02 pm

Answering a couple of questions...

Pearl El Negro Bells???? Yes, I have three...I have the timbale, which I use to substitue for the bongo handheld when I am playing timbales and I am required to do the bongo bell and have a couple of cha-cha's...I have the big chacha that gives a lower tone, which has become fashionable in recording, and the high pitch one...Great bells...although..I use more Cali's because of the overtones..(These Negro bells don't have that much overtone if any and the small chacha is the traditional chacha bell with a higher pitch). Their bronze color looks nice.... I went to Cali in December and his making now high pitch bells that some people are shying away from them...(When Cali gets in a groove of making certain tones...he keeps them until people get sick of them...I wanted a lower pitch and he said he did not wanted..I wanted something like El Negro big chacha bell but he does not have it...)

Cowbell beaters...Cali introduced what eveybody has now which is a thinner cowbell beater that is heavy and made out of synthetic material...Everybody has copied it...LP has one...Pearl has one called the "pheloo whatever..." But is the same theory. These beaters provide a great sound that is not achieved with the old "baseball bat" wood beaters that were out there. I know for a fact that facilitated the recording for bongo players that did not need a "thicker" beater for recordings...With thinner beaters you geat a clearer sound. (Hard to get some of the improvisational beats in the bongo bell with a thick wood beater)...These new beaters provide a "cleaner sound" and the bounce with the bell is great for playing...not too much effort is required. The weight and the thin design is what does the trick. There is still people using the old wood thick beaters but the new "synthetic" thin beaters have become the norm with salsa players...

My five cents here....
Raymond

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:59 pm

I have one of these synthetic beaters from JCR, it's very good, sounds great and
is light, and well balanced, keeps your arm from getting tired from playing
during a long rumba.
My only complaint is it's really strong and can cave your bell in if you play it
like some other beater, you don't have to hit as hard with one of these.
bongosnotbombs

Postby RitmoBoricua » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:18 pm

Raymond wrote:Answering a couple of questions...

Pearl El Negro Bells???? Yes, I have three...I have the timbale, which I use to substitue for the bongo handheld when I am playing timbales and I am required to do the bongo bell and have a couple of cha-cha's...I have the big chacha that gives a lower tone, which has become fashionable in recording, and the high pitch one...Great bells...although..I use more Cali's because of the overtones..(These Negro bells don't have that much overtone if any and the small chacha is the traditional chacha bell with a higher pitch). Their bronze color looks nice.... I went to Cali in December and his making now high pitch bells that some people are shying away from them...(When Cali gets in a groove of making certain tones...he keeps them until people get sick of them...I wanted a lower pitch and he said he did not wanted..I wanted something like El Negro big chacha bell but he does not have it...)

Cowbell beaters...Cali introduced what eveybody has now which is a thinner cowbell beater that is heavy and made out of synthetic material...Everybody has copied it...LP has one...Pearl has one called the "pheloo whatever..." But is the same theory. These beaters provide a great sound that is not achieved with the old "baseball bat" wood beaters that were out there. I know for a fact that facilitated the recording for bongo players that did not need a "thicker" beater for recordings...With thinner beaters you geat a clearer sound. (Hard to get some of the improvisational beats in the bongo bell with a thick wood beater)...These new beaters provide a "cleaner sound" and the bounce with the bell is great for playing...not too much effort is required. The weight and the thin design is what does the trick. There is still people using the old wood thick beaters but the new "synthetic" thin beaters have become the norm with salsa players...

My five cents here....

I hear you. I am not a fad and trend person. The high pitch bells can be in vogue all they want but for the most part I do not like them. Right now I am looking for one of those old chromed LP hand held bongo bells, I think LP dropped them from their line awhile back. It may not be what is trendy or avant-garde today and who cares but is one bell I love. If you buy everything that is out-there because is the latest, greatest and in vogue eventually you are going to have a huge collection that in reality you may not like. Looking at ebay listings there a quite a few people in that predicament. I always say professional grade instruments are important but the player is the one that truly make the difference. I got Meinl, Pearl and LP beaters and the "LP baseball bat" is the one that gives me the sound I truly love but who knows in due time I may decide I want to get me a synthetic one. Always good to hear from you and your insight, take care.................. :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:36 am

This thread needs some pictures!!!!

Starting from the big red bell
Gon Bops (red), an old old LP, JCR bell, and a Meinl "Nino" bell.
Then we have a red Meinl agogo and the silver JCR agogo (Man! I love this agogo, thanks Cali.)
and thats the synthetic JCR beater.

The red stuff on the beater is supposed to be the grip, but when I let others
use this beater they always use that end to hit the bell? :shock: So it's all chewed up now.

I really like that Gon Bops bell. I use the LP one more than the JCR, the JCR is still good though.
The Meinl is really high pitch, I use it sometimes for special situation. I got those Meinl's in a super deal,
12 bells and 4 agogo's in a box for $20. I used to give the bells to my friends kids and stuff, just one left now,
they came in yellow and red and black! :D
Attachments
DSCF8895.JPG
DSCF8896.JPG
bongosnotbombs

Postby Mike » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:36 am

I got those Meinl's in a super deal,
12 bells and 4 agogo's in a box for $20. I used to give the bells to my friends kids and stuff, just one left now,
they came in yellow and red and black! :D

What, the German national colours? :)
I don´t like Meinl bells really much - except the Realplayer Steel Agogo with bites like a shark through every mix :D
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Raymond » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:15 pm

To summarize everything...is just "colors" provided to us by the people that make instruments...We use them as we like and we use what we like...

Nothing wrong with using a baseball bat beater or a synthetic "new" beater...

I love bells...I have quite a collection just looking for tones and pitches to use...I don't gig as much as I use to but I like having the variety....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby windhorse » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:20 pm

This is part of my set.. They're good ol' fashioned brass cowbells.
Attachments
bells1.jpg
bells1.jpg (25.29 KiB) Viewed 27132 times
bells2.jpg
bells2.jpg (33.66 KiB) Viewed 27131 times
bells3.jpg
Antique brass bells
bells3.jpg (20.23 KiB) Viewed 27133 times
windhorse

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Hey windhorse. I like these bells. I saw some similar bells at American ebay. I don't dare to bid on bells without having tested the sound. If you want to have a personal, distinct sound, bells like these are the thing to go for, I think.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby windhorse » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:56 pm

Yeah, I got half of them from Ebay. The other half comes from flee markets in Longmont. I prefer the sound of really old cowbells that haven't been shined up. That dull old dark junk sort of makes it sound like a "clop" rather than a "ding"..
windhorse

Postby Joseph » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:07 pm

After all the other discussion of overtones, pitch, brightness, yada, yada.
One word described your old bells perfectly Windhorse........

CLOP!

Great onomatopoeia!
I can hear them now! 8)
.........all the others I'd have to hear in person
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/onomatopoeia

Clop . Clop . . Clop . Clop . Clop . .
Joseph

Postby Whopbamboom » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:49 pm

I just bought one of these bells here from eBay.... apparently 1 of 10 Pan con Queso replica's made by Matthew Smith.... and there's only ONE left available. Just thought I'd post this here for you guys.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=012
Whopbamboom

Postby naty8324 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:16 am

Cowbell HR "el piernas"
Attachments
DSC01318.JPG
naty8324

Postby naty8324 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:17 am

BIG COWBELL HR EL PIERNAS
Attachments
CAMPANA.jpg
naty8324

Postby Callao » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:46 am

It depends on what sounds good to your ear...sometimes i like a more dark mellow spicy sound i use my prestige cowbell, for a livier metallic sound i use jcr medium or high pitched depends on my mood or preference for that night...an lp salsa 6 7 or 5 for a cutting ding sound ,,,a toca rumba for a bright mellow sound,,,etc...a cowbell is like a jazz ride ...its all about your personal preference.
Callao

Postby RetroVintageDrummer » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:34 am

Hey all here is my 2 cents,

I have played lp, jcr, zil bells, pearl, etc. and so far my favorite have been the flat timbal bell and cha cha bell from Ritmo Drums by Matt Smith. The flat timbal bell is unique not only in sound but look too so it's guaranteed to be a conversation piece. I really loved my old lp black beauty bell and it was a close tie with Matt's cha cha bell, but ultimately Matt's one. He is truly a master craftsman and will go down with the greats such as JCR, Pan Con Queso, Skin on Skin, Junior Tirador, etc. The only thing that I do not care for is the tightening handles as they are quiet long and can get in the way. I have seen some timbaleros address this by simply changing the handle out for a wing nut. I have added magnets in the inside of the bells to take care of the over ring because tape is just too messy and leaves those nasty marks. I know Matt made a Pan Con Queso replica bell and I would definitely like to get my hands on one, but they are not listed on the website. I'll have to inquire about this when I order one of his signature bongo bells. Next I want to try an HR el Piernas timbal and cha cha bell.

-AndyG
RetroVintageDrummer

Previous

Return to Timbales