Cali at it again...

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Richard Groff » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:26 pm

I just got back from JCR with my new 14-15 timbales tucked under each arm. Cali had a whole bunch going out this week (I ended up doing a little box taping while his wife was cleaning bells). For those of you in the market, I can tell you that I couldn't be happier. They're totally handmade, very solid and have a fantastic sound. I didn't have too much time to fool around with them, but I did bring them home and tune them up. Just perfect. On an interesting note, Cali put a coated Ambassador on the hembra and a coated Diplomat on the macho. I hadn't seen mix matching before, but it does make sense as the Diplomats give a more open tone. (John Bonham often did the same thing on the batter side of his snare)

I'm not sure if they were all spoken for, but I'm sure whatever isn't, will go quickly.
Richard Groff

Postby Whopbamboom » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:05 am

Was that a limited production run?
Whopbamboom

Postby 109-1176549166 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:36 pm

Hi Richard, :)

Big congratulations for being the proud owner of a pair of JCR Timbales! I'm very happy for you!

I may have to kick myself in the behind for not having the patience to wait 2 months for a pair of JCR Timbales. I seriously considered them when I was in the market for timbales 2 months ago. Those 2 months surely flew by fast!

They were highly recommended to me by Mario Punchard, owner of Isla Percussions. (In fact, they're the only timbales that he recommends.)

But a combination of: (1) not being able to wait, (2) pressure from my band, (3) the jury still being out as to the JCR Timbales being the best and (4) price made me end up buying the Meinl Luis Conte Signature Timbales (solid German brass and extensively hammered shells) instead.

I got a super deal on my Meinls--$80 less than the JCRs and with free shipping (approx. $50) to boot. Thus, my total savings was about $130! Can't beat that, especially considering that the Meinls appear to be the most expensive of the high-end timbales. In some stores, these same Meinls are generally priced between over close to $600 to about $700! Plus, the store had it in stock and ready to be delivered.

I also considered the Gon Bops Alex Acuna Signature (used to be called "California Series") Timbales (brass alloy shell). But, I had reservations about the use of "merely" brass alloy which led me to think that they're a bit overpriced compared to the other 2. Moreover, there wasn't enough user feedback out there for me to be completely comfortable about buying and owning them. These Gon Bops are in the same price range as the JCRs.

Nevertheless, I watched a YouTube video of Alex Acuna using these timbales and they sure sounded good to me! But, then again, with Alex any percussion instrument will sound good! :;):

I figured that, unlike congas (I own Islas) and bongos (I own Gon Bops CA series), I shouldn't have to be too picky--even anal--about the timbales being either handmade here in the U.S. or machine-made overseas as long as the shells (being metal rather than wood) are made of the right material(s).

Nevertheless, I'm still envious of you for owning a set of JCRs. I still consider them one of the top 2 or 3 timbales in the world.

But who knows? Since JCR shells are made of a different material (stainless steel) from my Meinls, I may still "rationalize" :;): my purchase of it down the road in my head--if only just to have a different sound.

And this time, I won't have to rush it. :D

Edited By mjtuazon on 1186014264
109-1176549166

Postby Richard Groff » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:58 am

Whopbamboom wrote:Was that a limited production run?

I'm not exactly sure. I know that people report waiting for months and months to "see" if Cali will be making timbales, only to be disappointed later (by the wait not the product). I'm in there pretty frequently for a variety of reasons and Cali just mentioned that I coud buy a pair if I wanted and gave me a price (which I won't mention here). I came back the next day with the cash and we loaded them in the car. He had a bunch back from chroming, so I believe he was filling orders, but I'm not sure exactly how many or for whom. I believe Rhythm Traders still has a set at a reasonable price or you might try giving him a call directly to see if they're all spoken for.
Richard Groff

Postby Richard Groff » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:10 am

mjtuazon wrote:I may have to kick myself in the behind for not having the patience to wait 2 months for a pair of JCR Timbales. I seriously considered them when I was in the market for timbales 2 months ago. Those 2 months surely flew by fast!

I did the same thing about a year and a half ago with Cali's bongos. He had a set he offered to sell me that were great and I had just bought LP Gen II, so I passed. Big mistake. I've thought about those bongos many many times.

I'm not sure it can be said that JCR makes the "best" timbales because so much is subjective, but he does make a really great modern version of what I think of as a bit of an old skool sound. To me it's a balance between an older more traditional sound and the stupid volume requirements of todays gigs (...I thought that's what mics were for! :D )
Richard Groff

Postby 109-1176549166 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:04 pm

Richard Groff wrote:
the stupid volume requirements of todays gigs (...I thought that's what mics were for! :D )[/quote]
It's quite similar to the irrational quest--or "pissing contest", if you will--for more and more horsepower in cars which, in turn, is simply another reflection of the insatiable, human greed for more and more power! How much more do we really need? ???

Now, off my philosophical soapbox, :D

Edited By mjtuazon on 1186167984
109-1176549166

Postby Isaac » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:15 pm

The JCR Timbales are made by custom order...
But Caly will of often have one extra set from
cancelled orders or an extra set in a production run.
There's a new limited run beginning this week if
anyone would like to order.

ISAAC
Sales Rep. JCR Percussion Co.
funkytradition@yahoo.com
Isaac

Postby 109-1176549166 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:41 am

Isaac,

Is it Caly or Cali? I've seen both spellings thrown around.

Edited By mjtuazon on 1186188370
109-1176549166

Postby Richard Groff » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:15 am

mjtuazon wrote:Isaac,

Is it Caly or Cali? I've seen both spellings thrown around.

Its "Maestro Rivera de Bronx" to you and me! :D
Richard Groff

Postby 109-1176549166 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:45 am

>Its "Maestro Rivera de Bronx" to you and me! :D

I totally agree! :D

Edited By mjtuazon on 1186217666
109-1176549166

Postby 109-1176549166 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:11 am

Richard Groff wrote:I believe Rhythm Traders still has a set at a reasonable price or you might try giving him a call directly to see if they're all spoken for.

I've visited Rhythm Traders website where they claim that they have 1 set of JCR Timbales in stock. In fact, I'd already called them up 2 months ago and was personally told that this set had just sold a few days prior.

Heck, if Rhythm Traders really had them in stock, I'd have bought them on the spot and I'd be having JCR Timbales instead of Meinl Luis Conte Timbales right now. (Not that I regret my decision. On the contrary, I love my Meinls!)

I don't know about you but, IMO, technically what Rhythm Trader is doing (without ascribing malicious intent on their part) is a form of "deceptive advertising."

In the pre-owned car retail selling business that I'm also in, California law requires that I have to remove any "for sale" print advertising I may have involving a certain car within 48 hours after its sale. This is to protect the consumer against any false hope of still being able to purchase the car that he/she desires. :(

Edited By mjtuazon on 1186219250
109-1176549166

Postby Isaac » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:51 pm

r: Spelling

JCR are the intials of Juan Calixto Rivera.
Correctly its CALI for short, but
his friends & family use CALY. Either one is OK.
Just like Joseph becomes JOEY or
Fredrick becomes Freddy or Freddie.

ISAAC ( not IZZY)
Isaac

Postby Whopbamboom » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:56 am

How much do the JCR 14" and 15" timbales cost with the stand included?

How about without the stand?
Whopbamboom

Return to Timbales