need help

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby vinnieL » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:29 pm

Looking at an old set of slingerland timbales. They need new heads and need a stand. I am just starting to look at timbales so forgive my stupid questions. Do all stands work the same? I mean is this a universal thing or what? The timbales need help but would fit my budget if i can still get a stand and heads.
vinnieL

Postby yambu321 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:56 pm

VINNEL, PLEASE TAKE YOUR TIME.
I KNOW EXACTLY HOW ONE CAN FEEL WHEN ONE IS FEELING HIS GROOVE ON. AFTERWARDS THOUGH, REALITY WILL SET IN, AND YOU'LL HAVE TO SPEND EVEN MORE IN ORDER TO GET IT RIGHT. OK, LETS JUST SAY YOUR ON A BUDGET, AND LETS TAKE IT EVEN FURTHER, LETS JUST SAY YOU'RE NOT. DO YOU HAVE TO BUY A NEW SET, OR, THE FIRST SET YOU SEE THAT IS USED AND MISSING PARTS. THIS IS MY ADVICE TO YOU. TAKE A FEW DEEP BREATHS, AND SETTLE DOWN. YOU HAVE JUST ORDERED A WHOLE BEAUTIFUL SET OF DRUMS FROM ISLA, SO TIMBALES CAN COME LATER. DO YOU NEED TO BUY A NEW SET? THE ANSWER IS NO! INFACT, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU SHOULD BUY A USED SET INSTEAD. ONE THAT IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION, ONE THAT IS WELL MADE, AND EASY TO GET PARTS FOR DOWN THE LINE, AND HAS A GREAT PRICE! TIMBALES UNLIKE CONGAS,
CAN BE PURCHASED WITH MORE PEACE OF MIND, BECAUSE THEY ARE TRULY VERY SIMILAR. A NEW SET IS NOT RECOMMENDED BY ME FOR YOU, FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS. FIRST, YOU NEVER HAD A SET, SECOND, DO YOU LIVE IN A LARGE HOUSE WITH A BIG YARD? BECAUSE, IF YOU DON'T, YOU'LL HAVE TO GO TO YOUR LOCAL PARK, OR SOMEWHERE, WHERE YOU CAN FREELY PRACTICE, AND ONCE YOU START TO MELLOW DOWN, YOU'RE TIMBALES WILL MORE THAN LIKELY, BE STAYING PUT AT HOME MORE THAN YOU HAD ANTICIPATED. NOW LETS JUST SAY YOU'LL BE USING THEM PLENTY. WELL THAT'S PERFECT FOR A GREAT USED SET, BECAUSE YOU WOULD HAVE NOT SPENT THAT MUCH MONEY ON THEM. AND WON'T HAVE TO WORRY AS MUCH! ON TOP OF THAT, IF YOU DECIDE TO SELL THEM YOU'LL GET MOST OF YOUR MONEY BACK, AND USE THAT FOR YOUR NEW TOP OF THE LINE SET, BECAUSE YOU'LL BE MORE THAN READY. I MYSELF HAVE A USED SET OF VINTAGE TITO PUENTE STAINLESS STEEL TIMBALES THAT I HAD PURCHASED ON EBAY. ALL I BOUGHT, WERE THE SHELLS. I THEN BOUGHT A BRAND NEW LP TIMBALES STAND THAT RAN ME $109.00 PLUS I ALSO HAD TO BUY THE COWBELL HOLDER BECAUSE IT'S NOT INCLUDED WITH THE STAND, AND THAT RAN ME ANOTHER $47.00. THEN I PURCHASED THREE BELLS, THE CHA-CHA, THE MAMBO, AND A SMALL HIGH PITCH. I ALSO PURCHASED A RED LP SYNTHETIC BLOCK. ALL BELLS, AND THE BLOCK, WERE ALSO EBAY PURCHASES FOR ABOUT $68.00. SO I GOT, QUALITY, COMMON HARDWARE AND VALUE. TO THIS DAY, I AM NOT YEARNING FOR A NEW SET. I'M HAPPY ENOUGH. THESE THOUGH, WERE NOT MY FIRST TIMBALES.

MY FIRST TIMBALES WERE, BRAND NEW, HANDMADE, JCR'S. WHICH I HAD PURCHASED FOR JUST $375.00 OUT THE DOOR, FROM A STORE THE WAS GOING OUT OF BUSINESS, NAMED "THE LATIN BEAT", HERE IN SAN DIEGO, ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO. I WANTED THE BEST THAT I COULD BUY. ONLY TO DISCOVER, THROUGH TIME, THAT MOST LIKELY, TIMBALES WILL ALWAYS BE MY THIRD PERCUSSION INSTRUMENT OF CHOICE. SO, I SOLD THEM TO SOMEONE THAT WOULD TRULY USE THEM, AS THEY SHOULD BE; AND THAT PERSON WAS MY TEACHER
"EMILIO CAMACHO". I NEVER MISSED THEM, I DID LOVE THAT FACT THAT THEY WERE HANDMADE, BUT NEVER FELT A TRUE LOVE FOR THEM. I'VE HEARD MANY OTHER TIMBALES THAT SOUND GREAT AS WELL! IN FACT THE TIMBALES THAT MANNY TUAZON HAS, ARE PRETTY DARN NASTY, TO SAY THE LEAST!

VINNIE, IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS, CALL ME BRO.

RESPECTFULLY,
CHARLIE " EL COQUI" VERDEJO :cool: :D

Edited By yambu321 on 1186252789
Keep It Real, Keep It Honest, and Alway's Be True To Yourself. Laugh and Smile When Ever You Can, and Help others do the Same; It's a Good Thing!
yambu321

Postby 109-1176549166 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:26 pm

yambu321 wrote:IN FACT THE TIMBALES THAT MANNY TUAZON HAS, ARE PRETTY DARN NASTY, TO SAY THE LEAST!

RESPECTFULLY,
CHARLIE " EL COQUI" VERDEJO

Bro Charlie, :)

I agree! And I was very fortunate to have gotten my top-of-the-line Meinl Luis Conte Signature Brass Timbales for a super deal; i.e., the price of some mid-level timbales! Unfortunately, I don't think that the place I bought them from is selling them at the same price any longer.

I also agree that, unlike congas and bongos, you don't have to be so picky with the timbales. It doesn't have to be handcrafted to be among the best. As long as you buy mid- to high-end level (Meinl, JCR, Pearl, LP, Remo, Toca, used Ludwig, used Slingerland, etc.), IMO, you can't go wrong. The upside is that you also have a wider selection of styles and even colors.

I admire the way you give advice to others! They're cover a lot of area and are very practical. Your passion for Latin percussion and music is clearly evident in the genuine care behind the advice that you give your brothers/sisters! :D

Edited By mjtuazon on 1186252813
109-1176549166

Postby yambu321 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:44 pm

MANNY,

SALAMAT KAIBIGAN KO. :D
Keep It Real, Keep It Honest, and Alway's Be True To Yourself. Laugh and Smile When Ever You Can, and Help others do the Same; It's a Good Thing!
yambu321

Postby 109-1176549166 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:45 pm

vinnieL wrote:Looking at an old set of slingerland timbales. They need new heads and need a stand...The timbales need help but would fit my budget if i can still get a stand and heads.

vinnieL, :)

Charlie's right. You're probably be much better off buying a brandnew set of mid-level timbales rather than buying the used Slingerland and having to buy a separate stand and replace the heads. As you know, buying individual parts in order to complete a whole assembly almost always ends up being significantly more expensive than buying a whole set.

I've read good reviews about the Meinl Amadito Valdez, Pearl Marc Quinones (from Raymond and users themselves) and LP Karl Perazo. These are steel timbales, come in attractive colors and are priced between the high $200 and low $300. :D

Edited By mjtuazon on 1186253652
109-1176549166

Postby vinnieL » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:28 pm

Thanks again Charlie and Thank you Manny. I will continue this hunt at a later date as the price went too high. After all I do have a set of Isla's coming!!!!

Edited By vinnieL on 1186266669
vinnieL

Postby OLSONGO » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:34 am

I have heard that the Pearls Mark Quinones are the bomb, from a very good reliable source. Says the cascara is it.
I own a set of TP's stainless steel,which I got on a package deal from the factory, about 10 years ago. The TP's may be going out the door for the Pearls.

Paz OLsongo
OLSONGO

Postby vinnieL » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:32 pm

The pearl equipment looks nice. I am just trying to get all my basic stuff together you know. I got my Isla's coming and I am working on Bongo's and Timbales. I would like a nice setup at home. But my main thing is Conga and that's where my Isla's come in!
vinnieL

Postby Raymond » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:20 pm

Well my two cents here.....

Having a nice set, or a pro set if you are going serious, is the best way to go. Original Slingerlands are great and if you are into collecting, and expending money for parts, and you want to play with a vintage instrument, that looks nice, but is not something normally people do but again is your style.

Second, yes, there is an advise that is not your principal instrument or you are not going to get serious or you are not willing to go the extra mile....Then be careful...
With all due respect, timbales are the instrument that requires you the most in investment and also that ask you the most in technique.

Lots of good sets out there, of course, the one that I endorse Pearl Elite Marc Quinones series are the best, LP Tito Puente's and other are too. The price range in the US is from $350 to 450. It depends in the material of the shell, etc, etc.

Timbales are worth it if you are going to go all the way to learn how to play them. If you play them in "half", people are going to hate you and that is the reason people shy away from them...(They are loud....)

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby vinnieL » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:36 pm

Thanks for all the responses I will take all your warnings to heart
vinnieL

Postby 109-1176549166 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:04 am

vinnieL,

I agree with Raymond. You can't go wrong with the Pearl Marc Quinones. I've heard nothing but positive reviews about it and nothing negative whatsoever. You already get Remo heads as stock head. So, you don't have to upgrade them. So, for the sound you get and the price, it's a great bang for the buck.

I probably would have bought one if I hadn't preferred stainless steel (which is more expensive) over plain steel. But, then again, I really prefer solid brass over stainless steel which is why I bought what I now have, the Meinl Luis Conte Signature brass.

Edited By mjtuazon on 1186790777
109-1176549166

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:11 am

For me it's the Pearl Elite Brass 13 14teens....Classic sound!..."JC" Johnny Conga....Pearl Artist.. :D
JohnnyConga

Postby 109-1176549166 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:31 am

JC,

That, too! I just didn't mention it 'cause I wasn't sure if vinnieL is willing to budget for a high-end set of timbales.
109-1176549166

Postby vinnieL » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:39 pm

LOL you know by the time I'm done I will be able to have El Gran Combo play at my house and not have them bring any equipment LOL What a rat race i got myself into! I'm having fun though
vinnieL

Postby pcastag » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:09 pm

I have to chime in on the pearl Mark Quinones model, our percussionist is a pearl endorser as well, and those are some solid well made drums! Of course if you can get some New Jersey LP's those are awesome as well!
PC
PC
pcastag

Next

Return to Timbales