Timbales - Books

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby ralph » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:30 pm

zaragenca wrote:I just would like to point out that the first teacher of Timbaleros in New York was the cuban timbalero Jose Montesinos,(that was the man that all...all the people which wanted to learn timbales in New York in the 1930's and 1940's would look at,Ti to Puente,Menny Oquendo,Rick Marrero,etc...nobody could touch him playing timbales, now everybody forgot about him.Dr. Zaragemca

Coño!

Zaragemca, i think you got something there...Montesinos was the pioneer in NY, I read an interview w/ Manny where he mentions Montesinos...and las pailas being made of wood...as opposed to brass or other metal...can anyone verify if Montesinos was in fact the pioneer or any contemporaries of his? Zaragemca, thanks for reminding me of Jose...unfortunately one would have to have a sit down w/ Manny to get the real low down, since sadly, we have only as of late tried to document these pioneers...

Salseroberlinense

I am still trying to get that video transfered over...so i'll let you know as soon as I get it loaded...don't fret...it will be soon.

Edited By ralph on 1194283899
ralph

Postby Salseroberlinense » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:54 pm

Now found the books "A Master's Approach to Timbales" by Changuito and "Rhythms and Techniques for Latin Timbales" by Rendón, both have a bit on danzón. I was told Rendón's book "The art of playing Timbales vol. 1" does not.

Edited By Salseroberlinense on 1194808960
Salseroberlinense

Previous

Return to Timbales