Timbales - Books

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Oct 30, 2001 2:57 am

How to play Latin Rhythms by the late great Humberto Morales and Henry Adler for Timbales is a must. It has just been re-issued. It is the "First Skool" not (Old Skool) of Timbale playing. I studied Timbales with the late great Uba nieto the Timbalero with Machitos Orch. ,and we used that book. and his Timbale charts from the Orch. which scaredd me to death. Whew! Could those guys read....and know there rhyhms too!. At the top left corner of the charts was the name of the rhythm to be played .ex. Beguine,Cha-cha-cha,Merengue. so you better know your rhythms and know how to read or at least follow a chart,plus count bars. That is the music school of Latin music.....JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby ozrivera » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:44 pm

i was searching to see if i could find any reference's on changuitos master approach to timbales and didnt find any so, if you own it please let me know if its worth the buy.
i did come acros this topic and was curious about the book,
JC
is this the the re issued book?

http://www.amazon.com/Play-La....&sr=1-3

please let me know

thanks

oz
Pa-tra ni-pa cojer impulso.
ozrivera

Postby Raymond » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:33 pm

I am not familiared with Changuitos book you are talking about but from what I've seen his books tend to be "challenges". Not for everyone. Changuito is a master of independence and creator of playing pattersn and they are great books but if you are looking for beginner...the best book I've seen is Tito Puentes' Mambo King book. (This is the one issued just after his death. I have it but can't find it to give you the right name).

The book is a simple book about his own history, the history of some rhythms, some accurate or not, and the basics of every pattern in timbales from cascara to doing solos. (Even for trap drummers). It has a CD with demonstration, recording of his songs with charts to play along....Definitively need to read music for this although the "examples" in the CDs provide with how does it sound way to do it...

However, if what you like is challenge and develop indenpendence then Changuito's books are great.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby ozrivera » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:22 am

Saludos Hermanos
Raymond
socio, gracias por la informacion. i went ahead and purchased it. i figured i couldnt go wrong with a changuito book. i can read music so i should be able to follow the technics and exercises

thanks

OZ
ozrivera

Postby franc » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:32 pm

guys,
i recomend very highly the ''victor rendon, tha art of playing timbales'' the best that i ever had. i have the humberto morales and henry adler which i like also, i have the changuitos book, the ted reed book''the latin rhythms for drum and timbales''. but for me the victor rendon is the winner, yes!! my best to all!! franc :D
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby ozrivera » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:59 pm

Saludo Hermanos
hey Franc
is funny that you mentioned that, because i also purchased the victor rendon cd and book along with the changuito one. which one would you recommend to start using first?. gracias socio

Oz
ozrivera

Postby franc » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:05 am

ozrivera,
go for the victor rendon book and cd. the changuito book is more complicated. it is a good book. But victor rendon is more like for intermediete and more easy to understand. to learn rhythms i recomend the '' humberto morales and henry adler how to play latin rhythm instruments'' that is how i feel! take care and good drumming. my best franc :D
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby ozrivera » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:01 pm

Franc
Brother, thanks for the advice.

OZ
ozrivera

Postby zaragenca » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:20 pm

I just would like to point out that the first teacher of Timbaleros in New York was the cuban timbalero Jose Montesinos,(that was the man that all...all the people which wanted to learn timbales in New York in the 1930's and 1940's would look at,Ti to Puente,Menny Oquendo,Rick Marrero,etc...nobody could touch him playing timbales, now everybody forgot about him.Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragenca

Postby yambumba » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:38 am

I love all the masters. But new things are happening to the timbale. I'm not a great player but can spot talent when I see it. Check this guy out. I think he's from NYC. Any one seen him live?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l5C00KLcGb0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l5C00KLcGb0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
yambumba

Postby Salseroberlinense » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:21 pm

Can anyone tell me which book has most on danzón? The Tito Puente book only has one page. I ordered the Rendon, Reed and Changuito books from libraries. Ralph recommended a video "Manny Oquend on Timbales". I found out it is by Alchemy Pictures but cannot find any place where to get it.
Salseroberlinense

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:27 pm

Im not sure but the timbale book by Humberto Morales/with Ubaldo Nieto might have the danzon written in...Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Salseroberlinense » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:23 pm

Neither the Reed nor the Morales book have anything on danzón. I found another book by Cortijo who teaches in Mannheim. It is written in German and has a little bit on danzón. I'll wait for the Rendon book and ask friends if I can take a look at their Changuito books.
Salseroberlinense

Postby Vintage 1976 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:46 pm

Hands down the best basic book out there is Victor Rendon's.

Puente's book is good, some things he executes in his playing were learned over 50+ years ago and styles change.

Changuito's book is nice, but not for the beginner player. Some of his concepts are advanced pretty far.
"Once again you hear the sound of the drums...you love it 'cause it's straight from the slums."
Vintage 1976

Postby zwar » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:07 pm

ho

in the changuito book there is traditional danzon and two slightly modernized versions.

zwar
zwar

Next

Return to Timbales