Fiberglass timbale sticks? - Can someone compare?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Firebrand » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:36 pm

Are fiberglass sticks worth the investment...and what brands are out there. Why do you like them or not?
Firebrand

Postby OLSONGO » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 pm

I find them kind of stiff and thin for timbales, any thicker and they would be too heavy. Also as you use them... micro fiber glass pieces stick in your hands; a rather uncomfortable feeling. I use them to hit and scrape certain guiros and metal bells that I have to get a loud cutting sound. And to avoid the fibers I wrap the handling part with tape.
For timbales I prefer wood, it has a slight give which is easier on the hands

Paz,
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby Raymond » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:26 pm

I have two pairs of Mainline timbale sticks that are made of the "synthetic material" that I don't think is fiberglass but is the phenolo....whatever, material that they make the bongo beaters sticks that are now fashionable. (The sticks from JCR, LP and Pearl).

I have a thin and thick set. They are OK. They are sort of heavy and provide good bounce. I bought them in NY once and use them at the beginning but quit using them because I was afraid they could tarnish or leave marks in the timbales. (Which they did).

Don't hear too much of a difference of a sound between wood or them. They could be good to practice rudiments, etc, etc.

Don't know if any other brands but again Mainline makes them.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby franc » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:41 pm

guys,
must be careful with the fiber timbales sticks! they tend to bend if youn leave out to much near a heat source or direct sun light. my best to all, franc :D
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Return to Timbales