Splash cymbal: 16-inch vs. 18-inch - Which one if you can only own one?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby umannyt » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:13 pm

This may have been discussed before, but my question is a bit more specific (involving a specific brand--Sabian): If you could only own 1 crash cymbal for your timbales, which would you pick: a 16-inch, 18-inch or another size (such as a 17-inch)?

More specifically, between the Sabian El Sabor Picante 16-inch and it's 18-inch counterpart (especially for those who have actually played with either or, better yet, both), which would you recommend as being the more versatile crash cymbal?

Thanks in advance,

Edited By umannyt on 1199486044
umannyt

Postby umannyt » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:27 pm

Sorry, this topic should have been entitled:

"Crash cymbal: 16-inch vs. 18-inch"

Not being a kit drummer, I still get mixed up between the crash cymbal and the splash cymbal. Habits do take a while to form, especially for an "older" dog like me. :D

I'm wondering how the topic can be changed. Since I started it, can I do it? Or, can only the moderator do it?

Either way, it'd be good to change it to avoid any more confusion.

Thanks,

Edited By umannyt on 1199502576
umannyt

Postby OLSONGO » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:20 am

I prefer the sixteen ( Istanbul Agop ) it kicks and gives me a quick decay.

Paz, OLsongo
OLSONGO

Postby Mike » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:47 am

Umannyt, have you checked the sound files on the Sabian website?
Apart from that, I also think a 16" is enough.
I heard good things from the Zildjian Azuka 18" though.
By the way, some while (well, actually - years?) ago there has been some discussion on cymbals (hand cymbals as well as cymbals for timbales), but the Sabian AAX Picante Crash series hadn´t been on the market then.
To repeat myself, I find the 16" a fantastic cymbal due to its versatility and sound ("Latin", jazzy, raw, dirty, kicking - whatever you want).

Mike

Edited By Mike on 1199864103
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Raymond » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:42 pm

For a latin set up for timbales, between 16 and 18 inch crashes or ride/crashes, both are OK! (They have the correct size to provide the volume in any set up).

Regarding brands and models, I am a Zildjian man. Don't like Sabian that much. Personally, I have the discontinued Zildjian Azuka Salsa Timbale and Zildjian Azuka Timbale (first version because there is or was a second version of this model with brilliant finish and more hammered). They are very versatile. One provides a brilliant sound (the Salsa Timbale) like an A model and the other a darker sound like a Z model.

Recently, I was given as a gift a new Zildjian El Sonido that just came out in July. (I saw Marc Quinones using it in one a gig here and recommended it to me and another friend Zildjian endorser, Tito de Gracia, got me one during one of his visits). My review of the cymbal is that it lasts too long after the crash. Has an excellent bell for ride patterns. I've been told El Sonido is like a Sabian model that is for playing also with your hands. Still checking them out.

In regards to cymbals is what you like and what you feel comfortable is like a signature or personal thing here...so is hard to recommend (I've noticed that in my experience)....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Diceman » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:04 pm

If it helps, I tried the Sabian AAX Picante El Sabor handcrash in both sizes and stayed with the 16". It is very versatile with stick and hand, and has many 'voices' on the bell and the inner part, although I use the stick carefully on the thinned down part.
I am not so happy with the Azuca, as it sounds a bit too trashey for my liking but it does have a great bell sound and is very distinctive compared with what the drummer may use. I did try a selection of same sized Azucas before buying and they all sounded very different to each other- hand finished I guess.

My two penneth

Suave
Diceman

Postby umannyt » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:32 pm

Olsongo, Mike, Raymond & Diceman,

Thank you, guys, for all your input! I really appreciate it!

I'm going with the 16" Sabian El Sabor Picante.

Best regards,
umannyt

Postby Diceman » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:49 pm

Umannyt,

You wont regret it brother, but go easy with the stick!!

suave
Diceman

Postby umannyt » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:29 am

Diceman,

Thanks, bro! Dunno 'bout being easy on the stick, though!

Our drummer is big (reminds me of Abe Laboriel, Jr.) and oftentimes hits really H-A-R-D and so everyone else has to also! :D
umannyt

Postby Diceman » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:05 am

Umannyt,

It has a very thinned down edge and heavier centre but responds very quickly. I would hate for you to crack the edge. I dont use a stick on it but maybe if you hit it in or near the centre, that may work.

Have fun bro'

suave
Diceman

Postby Mike » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:18 am

Yep, hitting it in the middle or at the bell with it a stick should be harmless, the Picante can take that. But Diceman is right, be careful about the really thin edge.

Regards
Mike
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby umannyt » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:39 pm

Diceman wrote:Umannyt,

It has a very thinned down edge and heavier centre but responds very quickly. I would hate for you to crack the edge. I dont use a stick on it but maybe if you hit it in or near the centre, that may work.

Have fun bro'

suave

Diceman,

Oops, I thought you were just kidding about being easy with my sticks. Now, I realize what you really mean.

But, now, I having 2nd thoughts about the El Sabor Picante model. Perhaps, I should just get the plain El Sabor (w/o the Picante) model which should be thicker on the edges.

What do you think?

Thanks so much for your previous advice, bro, :D

Edited By umannyt on 1200170412
umannyt

Postby umannyt » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:47 pm

Mike wrote:Yep, hitting it in the middle or at the bell with it a stick should be harmless, the Picante can take that. But Diceman is right, be careful about the really thin edge.

Regards
Mike

Mike,

Thanks so much for your advice, bro!

Yup, I do realize about being careful with the thin edge of the El Sabor Picante model more so now. I'm aware that this model has the advantage of being played by hand. But, I don't see myself hitting my crash cymbal with my hands that much, if at all.

Thus, as I've just posted prior to this response, I'm now considering the plain El Sabor model which has a thicker edge, I believe. I do like the dark bell for clave playing and the middle portion for some ride.

All the best, :D
umannyt

Postby Mike » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:56 pm

Manny,
I think the plain El Sabor model should serve all-Latin purposes too, only that it is no hand cymbal. Other than that it should be great, too. BTW I would prefer an 18" model, the tone is even darker.

Nice threesome thread, brother :D
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby umannyt » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:19 pm

Mike,

You mean the 3 of us are having a "menage a trois"? :;): Just kidding! :laugh:

OK, I'll look into the 18 as well. Actually, as you probably know by now, the Sabian website allows one to have a sound check of all their cymbals.

Anyway, thanks so much again for all your tips, bro!

Have a Picante weekend, :D
umannyt

Next

Return to Timbales