Natural skins on timbales

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Whopbamboom » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:26 am

Anyone ever try natural skins on timbales (or other drumset-style drums)?

I found this vendor:
http://www.earthtoneheads.com/reviews.asp

Anyone know of any other suppliers of this type drum head?
Whopbamboom

Re: Natural skins on timbales

Postby tjaderized » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:59 pm

I tried it on my snare drum - it sounded beautifully but due their hygroscopic nature you will have to re-tune frequently, especially when playing in a damp place (i.e. a dance hall) or in the open. A colleague had calf skin on his timbales and loved the sound but repeatedly reached the end of the thread of his tuning screws, so he gave up using them.

I now use REMO Renaissance or Suede skins which are the closest approximation to calf skin sound among plastic heads. I finally found a used pair of Gon Bops Mariano model timbales this summer, cleaned and polished them, and the Suede heads sound terrific on them! There is nothing like them except the old 1950's Leedy timbales ...
mike
tjaderized

Postby cuquito717 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:56 am

YES IT'S A DEFFERANCE OF NIGHT AND DAY GO TO MYSPACE.COM/CUQUITO717 AND YOUWILL SEE THAT GIVES YOU THE TRUE SOUND OF A TIMBALES
cuquito717

Postby msb501clave » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:17 pm

Stern tanning is great. Im not yet set up to provide timbale heads that are mounted
Mike
L&HPercussion
CALF

SIZE MOUNTED

10" $45.00
12" $56.00
13" $61.00
14" $68.00
15" $75.00
16" $78.00
17" $86.00
18" $93.00
msb501clave

Postby Anonimo » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:29 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:38 am

leedy2 wrote:P remounted heads are good for new timbales, Old vintage timbales need to buy 20 or 22'' head if tucking on a rim that you are looking at about 100.00 each.Not to say you can't use mounted but in most cases drums will sound better with it mounted on rim of vintage sets. A must there are calf heads out there made in Pakistan they are NO GOOD for timbales those skin are good for tambourines and drum of that nature . Make sure you buy American processed Calf head skins for drums. Pakistan heads will crack once they dry and you start to bang on them.

I agree Leedy2, Pakistani heads do not use the correct species of skins for Timbales / tom tom or any quality stick played drum. They often smell funky when you soak them which is an indication that they were rotting in a rendering plant or animal processing center. I would not even give these skins & hides to my dog to use as chew toys !
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:03 am

I love the tone of calf on timbales ! They have a great tone & range, feel great to play on and the stick rebound on the heads, bounces as if they are dancing ! :) I love seeing a tasty technical drummer who can get the best from skins. My first pair of Gon Bops had skins mounted on the rims that lasted a solid 3 years, that toured 13 states throught out various seasons & elevatioins constantly and survived quite well. It finaly took a jam session to do them in. Theres apoint where over playing too loud & too heavy can & will tear calf. Some times, available skins may make it posible for a drummer to try skins or to mount some for their sampling. Soon, you'll be looking for the perfect chnce to play them on a gig. Your instrument always deserves tuning attentions. There worth the experence at least. I've been holding on to a pristine "Radio King " Slingerland tympani grade head for an 18" drum that I can't wait for the right drum to mount it on for personal use.
Slingerlang calfskin.jpg
Ernesto Pediangco

Return to Timbales