Elio Reve Abanico - Single Strokes?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Thomas Altmann » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:32 pm

Hi,

when I listen to Elio Reve playing, I get the impression that he is playing a single stroke roll, like a 5-stroke ruff (in Henry Adler nomenclature) as an abanico: rlrlR!

Does anybody know for sure?

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby davidpenalosa » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:07 pm

Hi Thomas,
I don't know what Reves' sticking is, but according to jazz guitarist/tresero/ethnomusicologist Dr. Ben Lapidus, Reve employed the style of abanico that comes from bongo de monte in changui. Lapidus wrote an excellent article on changui and has a book coming out this year on the changui-tumba francesa connection. There's a clear example of this bongo abanico on "Ritmo Changui" (traditional folkloric changui, not Reve's popular music) on the "Drum Jam" CD. It does sound like a single stroke roll.
-David

Edited By davidpenalosa on 1204577567
davidpenalosa

Postby Thomas Altmann » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi David,

thank you for your answer. That sounds interesting, but logical in a way. The name Lapidus sounds familiar to me, but I don't know from where.

I have the Drum Jam CD and will listen for the "bongo abanico".

Greetings,

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Mike » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:46 pm

I have the Drum Jam CD and will listen for the "bongo abanico"

So have I, but I find the bongo rolls there hardly resemble an abanico. ???
Otherwise the Drum Jam-Cd album is very cool, David, thanks!
Very fine production, relaxed grooves ´in the tradition´and beyond - I like it very much.
As to abanico: I find it really challenging to play the abanico. As usual I´m very impatient with myself....
The LLRRLL-kind of abanico definetely requires a lot of practise for someone like me who picked up the timbales only a few years ago. Dig my Afro timbs though.

Ok, that was me chiming in,
anyone else on Elio Reve´s abanico?

Mike
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby davidpenalosa » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:09 pm

Mike wrote:I find the bongo rolls there hardly resemble an abanico. ???

Hi Mike,
At 0:09 on "Ritmo Changüí" the bongo enters with an abanico. You can hear this type of abanico by the bongo de monte when it enters in a lot of the traditional changui pieces. According to Dr. Lapidus, this is the type of abanico Elio Reve employed on timbale. It's easier to hear on Reve's timbales, than on those bongos, but I hear it.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:33 am

Good morning, David,
you´re right, I listened to it again. Perhaps I didn´t notice at first because the bongó is tuned so low.

Mike
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby davidpenalosa » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:02 pm

"Revé… almost always plays the five-stroke roll traditionally played by changüí bongó players. Some listeners have argued, with some justification, that Revé’s solo improvisations consist of changüí bongó riffs."
– Dr. Ben Lapidus The Society of Ethnomusicology Journal, Winter 2005, pg.72
davidpenalosa

Return to Timbales