Cáscara question

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Re: Cáscara question

Postby Thomas Altmann » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:00 pm

Hi Manny:

COB is the common abbreviation for chrome over brass. I learned that at ebay. :)

I don't know too much about the revitalized or new Gon Bops line. I bought my gear in the early eighties. I guess it would be fun to walk around in a percussion store and check out new products, one after the other, and see what there is today. I would like to know how these new Gon Bops timbales are, or how the different Toca lines sound, or Tycoons, or whatever. (It would be considerably less fun for the clerks, though.) But basically, since I possess everything I need, there are very few wishes left, and these concentrate more on specific vintage models. Naturally, my interest in new products has become more superficial with the time. Sometimes I even think, thanks God I got everything I need, because I could never pay these prices today.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Raymond » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:50 pm

Where do you the cascara in the shell is a personal thing...as long as you get the sound you want. Myself I do it close to the 3:30 to 4 area of the timbale. Also, the design of the timbale you have could dictate how you do it. A good example is Pearl Marc Quinones, that their cascara area is a litte up in the "clock" in comparison with other timbales. (This is a design that is Marc's own preference. Also, the timbale has a 5 lug design versus the 6 lug design that provides for that). Some timbaleros play closer to the timbale, therefore affects where do they do the cascara, and some don't. The length of your arms have something to do too! Sticks...Some people put the sticks flatter into the cascara some play by just hitting the tip..

What is my point? If it is a signature model, the artist has input into that and in someway, not always, but it has...Currently, I am with a famous timbalero that a company is doing him a signature timbale and he is putting info into that. Also, although there are right techniques about everything, everybody tend to differ and play the way they get the sound....

If some of you notice, the old original Tito Puentes timbales from LP had a limited cascara area due to the small size of the shell with longer lugs. The new ones try to give more space but continue to be a shorter, not tall shell. Old timbales from all brands, Leedys, Singerland, etc, etc..the shells were taller.

Tall shells, give you warmer shound, short shell, give you sharper sounds... Thicker shells, give you warmer sounds, thinner shells gives you sharper sounds plus overtones....

The sound you want you will get it with the model in question and the heads...The heads make a big difference...

There is no way to be right here...some people like the newer models and some like the older models...

In summary, the tendency with timbales is to make them project more in sound. Heads and thickness of the shell are used to achieve that...Is a matter of preference even though the manufacturers get the input from their artists supposedly and those are the ones that are affecting the sound of current timbales...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Mike » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:02 am

There is no way to be right here...some people like the newer models and some like the older models...

Well-put, Raymond! :)
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Raymond » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:19 pm

By the way, I know John Var Muelen, he's still doing product development and advise with Pearl...He is a freak of percussion in all regards...from instruments to the people that play it...

Great guy to listen to and the story about how he made his first instruments that were timbales and congas....Interesting from a guy that is from Holland and when he started his company did it without information...just by observation...(I don't think Holland was full of percussion instruments back in the 60s/70s).

Great guy.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Mike » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:20 pm

I don't think Holland was full of percussion instruments back in the 60s/70s

Raymond, that´s sheer understatement: I think he revolutionized the Dutch percussion market.
Although one might have doubts about learning by observation in a matter as delicate as building instruments,
John van Meulen has been and surely still is beyond any doubt a highly inventive craftsman...! He later gave his expertise to Pearl Percussion, e.g. he invented the ganzeiro and the shekerine. Sorry for the somewhat psychedelic photograph :oops:
Clipboard01.jpg
On the right: John van der Meulen
Peace & drum
Mike

Previous

Return to Timbales