Lp's timbales age ?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Lp's timbales age ?

Postby congalou » Thu May 15, 2008 3:10 pm

Hello, here is a photo of my timbales, does anybody know the age of these drums ?

Lp pallisade park n°1 model Tito Puente

Photo :
Attachments
sigle tito puente.JPG
congalou

Re: Lp's timbales age ?

Postby ABAKUA » Thu May 15, 2008 3:20 pm

Quite rare, (here anyway) and very valuable. I know of 3 sets here and none of the guys will ever sell them! The material used for the cascara (shells) was changed after the move of factory. The shells sounded so much better with the original material (like yours)
The LP factory moved to Thailand from New Jersey some time ago, your timbales should say made in new jersey right? Cant remember the year the instruments began getting made in Thailand, but it was quite a while ago.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Raymond » Thu May 15, 2008 4:50 pm

They goes back to the 70s...there are the original made in Palisades, New Jersey.. Only a few remain. Maybe contact LP and ask....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby congalou » Thu May 15, 2008 5:02 pm

Back to the 70's ?!!

Whaoouuuu !!! the shell is perfect ! maybe it's stainless steel, someone know ?

anyway, the sound is good !!! :D

Thank you guys !

Gaël.
congalou

Postby umannyt » Thu May 15, 2008 6:27 pm

congalou wrote:Back to the 70's ?!!

Whaoouuuu !!! the shell is perfect ! maybe it's stainless steel, someone know ?

anyway, the sound is good !!! :D

Thank you guys !

Gaël.

Looks like stainless steel, indeed. The sheen is not too bright, unlike "mere" chrome-plated steel. I have a set of JCR stainless steel myself, so I can tell. Besides, I don't think that LP ever used brushed steel such as that used on the Pearl Marc Quinones signature.
umannyt

Postby Thebreeze » Thu May 15, 2008 7:05 pm

I have a set of those myself and they should be stainless. Try putting a magnet to it and the magnet should stick to the brackets, but not to the shell.
Thebreeze

Postby umannyt » Thu May 15, 2008 7:24 pm

Hmmm, I never even thought that magnets don't stick to stainless steel. I wonder why. I just learned something new again.
umannyt

Postby Thebreeze » Fri May 16, 2008 1:40 am

The most popular stainless steel is Type 304, which contains approximately 18 percent chromium and 8 percent nickel. At room temperature, the thermodynamically stable crystal structure of 304 stainless steel is bcc; nevertheless, the alloy's nickel concentration, as well as the small amounts of manganese (about 1 percent), carbon (less than 0.08 percent) and nitrogen (about 0.06 percent), maintains an fcc structure and therefore the alloy is nonmagnetic. If the alloy is mechanically deformed, i.e. bent, at room temperature, it will partially transform to the ferritic phase and will be partly magnetic, or ferromagnetic, as it is more precisely termed.

I got this info from the internet. So it looks like these LP Timbales must be made out of 304 stainless.
Thebreeze

Postby umannyt » Fri May 16, 2008 2:20 am

Wow, reminded me of my chemistry class (one of my favorites) in college! :lol:
Last edited by umannyt on Fri May 16, 2008 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
umannyt

Postby ABAKUA » Fri May 16, 2008 2:40 am

Thebreeze wrote:The most popular stainless steel is Type 304, which contains approximately 18 percent chromium and 8 percent nickel. At room temperature, the thermodynamically stable crystal structure of 304 stainless steel is bcc; nevertheless, the alloy's nickel concentration, as well as the small amounts of manganese (about 1 percent), carbon (less than 0.08 percent) and nitrogen (about 0.06 percent), maintains an fcc structure and therefore the alloy is nonmagnetic. If the alloy is mechanically deformed, i.e. bent, at room temperature, it will partially transform to the ferritic phase and will be partly magnetic, or ferromagnetic, as it is more precisely termed.

I got this info from the internet. So it looks like these LP Timbales must be made out of 304 stainless.

:P :lol: :P :lol:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Tonio » Fri May 16, 2008 4:11 am

LOL :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

You ice Abakua. ICE cold.

sorry Will, but it was funny.

Don't take it personally :D Your SS -304 findings are appreciated. Now where is the magnet I had.....

T
Tonio

Postby Thebreeze » Fri May 16, 2008 4:17 am

I love a good joke even if it's on me. I know it's all in fun. I thought it was great. Good one Abakua.
Thebreeze

Postby ABAKUA » Fri May 16, 2008 4:39 am

Yeah, was a joke :lol: I couldnt help myself after reading that post! Sounded like something Id have in one of our catalogs at work.
In my day gig (yes I have a full time job :shock: :lol: ) I actually do a fair bit of quoting custom fabricated stainless steel drainage grates/covers. Both 304 and 316 grade, with or without electro polishing etc.. Im a sales executive for an engineering company, Mon-Fri 8.00am - 4.30pm.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Whopbamboom » Sat May 17, 2008 5:35 am

There are many, many grades/alloys of stainless, and some are "magnetic" (stated here loosely as a description of the property that allows a magnet to attract the metal). But most stainless is not. I believe of the ones that are, they have a very weak "magnetic" property, as opposed to iron or other steels. So don't freak out if your magnet sticks-- but barely--- it's probably still stainless.
Whopbamboom

Postby ABAKUA » Sat May 17, 2008 6:05 am

Whopbamboom wrote:There are many, many grades/alloys of stainless, and some are "magnetic" (stated here loosely as a description of the property that allows a magnet to attract the metal). But most stainless is not. I believe of the ones that are, they have a very weak "magnetic" property, as opposed to iron or other steels. So don't freak out if your magnet sticks-- but barely--- it's probably still stainless.

Ok.. you too.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P :P
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Next

Return to Timbales