Your experience with J.C.R timbales?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Your experience with J.C.R timbales?

Postby Mr. Conga » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:25 am

I hae palyed J.C.R timbales they have great sound on the drum.
They are sterdy ,durable.

But the shells are too thick, and you cant get an authentic Latin Music cascara sound on the sides. The J.C.R stand wabbles side to side.

I really like the J.C.R drum quality sounds, but i need an authentic cascara sound, does any one know a solution, or anything i can do to a set to change the cascara sound?
Mr. Conga

Re: Your experience with J.C.R timbales?

Postby cuquito717 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:41 am

jcr timbales have change drasticlly , 1st cali doses not work with the love he work on his product any more today he makes garbage for you to get sound out of drums you need to use 1/2 stix a set of timbales should be played with 7/8 stix to get the perfect sound that is one of your problems 2) the steel is to thick that does not help rings alot . what i recommend to to to try putting plates inside muffull sound a bit also change shins pay around different thickness of skins as to stand do you have original stand? if so. are you in new york? take it back to cali have re ribbit the stand it should not wobble . take a look at (myspace.com/cuquito717)you will see true timbales these set are not what they used to be were not good to begin and know worst
cuquito717

Postby Whopbamboom » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:52 pm

That comes as a surprise, considering that I always heard good things about the JCR timbales. So when a guy looks for JCR timbales, is it the old models he should look for? Or just pass?
Whopbamboom

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:57 pm

Out of the 3 guys who have JCR timbales here, all 3 sound fantastic. Strong & sturdy stands also. No wobbling etc.
Bells, shells & skins sound great. Go figure. :?:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby umannyt » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:42 pm

ABAKUA wrote:Out of the 3 guys who have JCR timbales here, all 3 sound fantastic. Strong & sturdy stands also. No wobbling etc.
Bells, shells & skins sound great. Go figure. :?:

I agree.

I love the sound of my JCR timbales! They're actually my most-used timbales.

The thick(er) stainless-steel shells give them a relatively-bright "cascara" sound and the Remo Ambassador thick-coated skins help give them a warmer, old-school sound. I can tell 'cause I have 2 other sets of timbales made by different manufacturers. They both have brass shells which give them a warmer "cascara" sound, but the lightly-coated Remo skins definitely give them a brighter, more cutting sound than the JCRs.

Morever, I have no problem with the JCR stand. I experience no wobble.

The JCR bells sound great, too!
umannyt

Postby umannyt » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:05 am

cuquito717 wrote:jcr timbales have change drasticlly,...as to stand do you have original stand? if so. are you in new york? take it back to cali have re ribbit the stand it should not wobble . take a look at (myspace.com/cuquito717)you will see true timbales these set are not what they used to be were not good to begin and know worst

cuquito717,

I've read and heard that Ludwig-Leedys are great timbales. I've never actually seen, touched or played one. Too rare, I suppose.

However, based on pictures alone, their stand seems also lightweight (single-braced tripod legs) and are not the most heavy-duty compared to other, more modern timbale stands. For example, the DW stand that comes with the Gon Bops Alex Acuna brass-alloy timbales features what DW calls "Mega-Tripod" (double-braced tripod legs). I have one and I can say that no other timbale stand is probably more heavy-duty--and heavier. Too heavy, in fact, for my preference.

But, the fact of the matter is that even the JCR stand has double-braced tripod legs, unlike that of the Ludwig-Leedy. So, would you consider the Ludwig Leedy stand to be kind of wobby, too?

Just curious,
umannyt

Postby cuquito717 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:07 am

Whopbamboom wrote:That comes as a surprise, considering that I always heard good things about the JCR timbales. So when a guy looks for JCR timbales, is it the old models he should look for? Or just pass?

\

the old timbales he made, yes were a bit better made than new ones look at my space you will both set old and new old one. were welded by roca,an expirance welder new ones cali welds makeing a mess then graines it down, causing sound to change the old ones had less welding and less to graine also metal very thick in new ones cascara sounds very loud over powering the cascara of a set of timbales should sound like a set of raw hide maracas in low tone , that is why leedy,rogers are look for by real timbales players also brass timbales is the best you can use steel sound louder and ring more same with lp first ones very good new a pisce of crap mass production looking for a good timbales look at remo 13/14 0ver the 14/15 which ring a bit and thats no surprise i have tested all of them and if you can get a set of roger or leedy better yet
cuquito717

Postby Isaac » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:54 am

Faustino, I see you've been trying to sell off your many beautiful vintage timbales
for close to 2K a set... I don't know many working people today, let alone
pro percussionists who can afford to pay what they are truly worth.
i wish you luck. I personally play some old Slingerland Timbales, and
some 70s Ludwigs that Caly made a new rock-solid stand for.
Caly doesn't try to push his instruments on anyone...if you don't
like their sound, that's your personal taste...but please don't spread
misinformation.

Sour grapes, and dissing JCR timbales is not going to help you sell your stuff.
The JCR timbales made today are still excellent with a strong
cascara and a wide range of sound & can be subtle or powerful - whatever the song needs.
There have been no complaints from any buyers that I'm aware of.
Two years ago, the Met Museum of New York aquired a set for their permanent
collection and had an event to honor Caly Rivera for his contribution
and artisanship in handmade latin instruments. I asked Caly if he made
them a special set? He said no, just one of the sets from the run of 15 sets he
had just finished - saying he stands behind each set.

The famous percussion endorsers of other "brands' still hang at JCR
on Saturdays and admit that what they endorse is 'MIERDA'
compared to Caly's handmade timbales. He still remains a true craftsman,
not a mass merchandiser.
I guess it's hard for them to refuse freebies brought onstage by roadies if you're a touring pro.
At their homes and in the studios of Puerto Rico, you'll find that it's
quite often JCR. Just ask the players themselves....They'll
tell you....but contractually have to say 'you didn't hear that from me'.
I've been hanging ..and listening to Salsa in NYC for 21 years now
and have heard this more times than I can mention.
No disrespect, but
the vintage brass of great quality that you posess is no longer available, and
does not cut over the band with the louder higher tuning of today's
music. I really wish you the best with your collector's item
vintage timbales.

ISAAC
Isaac

Postby Raymond » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:36 pm

Mr. Conga wrote:I hae palyed J.C.R timbales they have great sound on the drum.
They are sterdy ,durable.

But the shells are too thick, and you cant get an authentic Latin Music cascara sound on the sides. The J.C.R stand wabbles side to side.

I really like the J.C.R drum quality sounds, but i need an authentic cascara sound, does any one know a solution, or anything i can do to a set to change the cascara sound?

Giving you the benefit of the doubt that you know what you are looking for...what do you mean with authentic cascara sound??????

In my experience thick shells tend to give you a cascara sound without the overtones...It does not project well in regards to volume but sounds good from the standing position...Also, you have to see the material of the shell....Stainless steel or steel timbales will give you a sharp, bright sound....Brass timbales will give a warmer sound... Timbales from the mass producers have thinner shells that gives you overtones and project much better...That is the norm at this time...

My experience with JCR timbales is that they will give you a sharp cascara with not that many overtones and project very well because of the taller shells...

Again, as reference, to know what you are talking about...what do you mean???? What you do not like???

Never had a JCR set of timbales but played them a couple of times...My only complaints have been his selection of heads...(He tends to select heads Remo Rennaisance and others to give that old school sound....I am use to a much modern sound)....

JCR has good products, specially the bells...I used them...and like Isaac sells I've been of the musicians that visit him and could spend hours talking and trying things at his shop...

Again, It depends what you are accostumed to...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby cuquito717 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:48 pm

That your opinion but if you ask real musicans they perfer a set of leedy over jcr its sound
that counts, I will put a set of leedy up on a test that quality in sound counts more than sound I have jcr timbales but when I have to do recordings I take a set of leedy timbales they record better they do not ring . You have to play drum and know sound if you don't know you can't tell qulity over them you have a bad concept of what a timbales should sound and that's cali's way of thinking I aproched cali one day and told him about it he's responce was "" I know all about leedy and showed me a book call ( understanding latin rythems by henry adler and humberto morales ) which had nothing to do with question thats a learning book so you respond to that loud play is not the key you people are wrong and as a major in music precussion instrument you guy fail .you need to learn and then talk come on down i will show you then you tell me the only timbales cali has done wright he has it in his shop and will not sell . i have other sets not only leedy that you can play and sound of cascara sounds better than jcr not as loud and thats the problem that exsit today with timbales matthew smith makes a better timbales than jcr and thats ashame a white man making a better instrument than a hispanic,that this is his heratage he should know of instrument tru and tru no excuses. come on down i am going to give you a leason of a lifetime set up a weekend
and by the way I sell alot of timbales to pro that know sound i do not sell just to any one and i don't need cali to sell remember i put cali were he is roca julio. musicans that hang out with cali are not musican they are a kissers he is mass producer any one that make more than 50 of any product is a mass producer cali when he started made 12 bells a week .cali is a good craftsman to the ignorent but when you know its a difference so come on down let give you a leason for free ok Isaac you will be suprised as to what you think you know as to what you will see

Isaac wrote:Faustino, I see you've been trying to sell off your many beautiful vintage timbales
for close to 2K a set... I don't know many working people today, let alone
pro percussionists who can afford to pay what they are truly worth.
i wish you luck. I personally play some old Slingerland Timbales, and
some 70s Ludwigs that Caly made a new rock-solid stand for.
Caly doesn't try to push his instruments on anyone...if you don't
like their sound, that's your personal taste...but please don't spread
misinformation.

Sour grapes, and dissing JCR timbales is not going to help you sell your stuff.
The JCR timbales made today are still excellent with a strong
cascara and a wide range of sound & can be subtle or powerful - whatever the song needs.
There have been no complaints from any buyers that I'm aware of.
Two years ago, the Met Museum of New York aquired a set for their permanent
collection and had an event to honor Caly Rivera for his contribution
and artisanship in handmade latin instruments. I asked Caly if he made
them a special set? He said no, just one of the sets from the run of 15 sets he
had just finished - saying he stands behind each set.

The famous percussion endorsers of other "brands' still hang at JCR
on Saturdays and admit that what they endorse is 'MIERDA'
compared to Caly's handmade timbales. He still remains a true craftsman,
not a mass merchandiser.
I guess it's hard for them to refuse freebies brought onstage by roadies if you're a touring pro.
At their homes and in the studios of Puerto Rico, you'll find that it's
quite often JCR. Just ask the players themselves....They'll
tell you....but contractually have to say 'you didn't hear that from me'.
I've been hanging ..and listening to Salsa in NYC for 21 years now
and have heard this more times than I can mention.
No disrespect, but
the vintage brass of great quality that you posess is no longer available, and
does not cut over the band with the louder higher tuning of today's
music. I really wish you the best with your collector's item
vintage timbales.

ISAAC
cuquito717

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:11 pm

I used to sit in on practices with a salsa band that used a set of JCR timbales,
sounded great to me. The timbalero really liked them.
bongosnotbombs

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:38 pm

cuquito717 wrote: you people are wrong and as a major in music precussion instrument you guy fail .you need to learn and then talk come on down i will show you then you tell me the only timbales cali has done wright he has it in his shop and will not sell . i have other sets not only leedy that you can play and sound of cascara sounds better than jcr not as loud and thats the problem that exsit today with timbales

matthew smith makes a better timbales than jcr and thats ashame a white man making a better instrument than a hispanic,that this is his heratage he should know of instrument tru and tru no excuses.

musicans that hang out with cali are not musican they are a kissers he is mass producer any one that make more than 50 of any product is a mass producer cali when he started made 12 bells a week .cali is a good craftsman to the ignorent but when you know its a difference so come on down let give you a leason for free ok Isaac you will be suprised as to what you think you know as to what you will see

Sounds like you have some personal problems to me man, maybe you should think about lightening up a bit?
bongosnotbombs

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:28 pm

Matthew Smith is held is very high regards here, his dedication to our art and quality of his work has earnt him international respect, with everyone who deals with him echoing the same comments of professionalism and positive dealings with him. He is an invaluable asset to our culture and art.
His racial background has nothing to do with the quality of his work.

Same said for Caly, the man is extremely well respected on here and we will not condone any bad mouthing of him, his customers or his proven workmanship.

Isaac has been a contributing member on here for a long time, he has sold countless high quality products to many members on here.

I would suggest you keep any personal attacks off the forum and if you have a personal issue with anyone on here, please sort it out via the Private Message system.

Congaplace will not support nor play host to this.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby PRDRconguero » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:56 am

bongosnotbombs wrote:Sounds like you have some personal problems to me man, maybe you should think about lightening up a bit?

I agree with you BnB. We all have opinions on our favorite instruments.

I could take a dump in a caldero, weld it to a stand, bang on it with a platano, and call it the best.... :lol:
An opinion is an opinion....not set in stone.

Cuquito, you have been lucky enough to amass a great collection. Most people would love to know about your drums, but this is not the way to do it.
PRDRconguero

Postby Isaac » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:46 am

Cucquito, It's time to show us your fantastic collection again...maybe you've posted it before.

Issues with JCR or Matthew aside...I know that you have a special sound in your mind
that you wish we could hear it with you...but there are many players here at many
different levels , with different ears and different needs and different budgets.

I sell to guy who are doctors and engineers, to guys just coming back from Iraq, to Social Workers,
guys getting out of Jail, and in half-way houses, born-again Salseros, All kinds of folks that are just happy to be making
music with anything they can get their hands on. It's rewarding to get to know them,
through our common love of the instruments.

Keep this in perspective...some of the best music I ever saw & heard was played on the worst made
instruments - in Havana, Cuba, summer of 1988.

Forget about the hardware war for now and no need to police the other craftsman.
We've heard of "robo-cop" - well, we don't need a Timbale or Bongo-Cop 2.
You wouldn't be writing this same critiques to Fender or Meinl, so leave the little guys alone...
They're not getting rich with their efforts - it's still a labor of love. In our F--cked economy,
everyones trying to survive.
It's easy to be an armchair critic. You most certainly have a greatly developed ear, but if you're
up to it physically, it's never to late to learn welding. In fact it's one of the trades that theres
a shortage of people. After a while you' may get good at it. or just enjoy it.
You should look into it.

ISAAC
Isaac

Next

Return to Timbales