How you likeVintage Ludwig Copper60sTimbales?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

How you likeVintage Ludwig Copper60sTimbales?

Postby Mr. Conga » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:55 pm

How you like Vintage Ludwig Copper60sTimbales?....

In my opinion and taste Salsa music really cooked up ,shaped form 50s-to 60s ,

the authentic latin cascara you hear in most latin records, have timbales made fro the 40s to the 60s.

what is you guys opinion on Vintage Ludwig Copper 50s-60sTimbales?

any Old School experience Timbaleros want to give an opinion :
Mr. Conga

Re: How you likeVintage Ludwig Copper60sTimbales?

Postby cuquito717 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:16 am

copper timbales are steel plated timbales and if you are look for that old sound you are not going to get it high tone get old brass sets and use calf skins
cuquito717

Postby Mr. Conga » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:21 pm

Cuco,
Mathew Smith a great craftsman, say there isnt really such thing as brass timbales, thatis what companies called it.
But in reality is all stainless steel, covered by brass, or copper color metal.

He try to make his timbales just as the old school , rogers, and leedy timbales sound.
That old school authentic latin timbal sound, with the right cascara pitch sound, shells not too thick so it wont mute the right sound,
and adding calf skins.

He sells stainless steel timbales, and copper plated timbales, which would be called brass timbales by Lp and other companies,
just as Lp calls, some wood North American Ash,but in reality is some other kind of wood, notfrom NorthAmerica necesaraly, but that is what they keep calling it

He says in his experience his stainless steel timbales, and copper plated shells, sound the same, is not about the color of the cascara but the right thickness, and dept, and welding.
Mr. Conga

Postby Mr. Conga » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:26 pm

Does any one own M. Smith timbales?

can anyone do a review M. Smith timbales, comparing in contrast with Leedys?
Mr. Conga

Postby cuquito717 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:16 am

Mr. Conga wrote:Does any one own M. Smith timbales?

can anyone do a review M. Smith timbales, comparing in contrast with Leedys?

THEY SOUND GOOD BUT NO LEEDY THEY ARE MADE OF STEEL AND PLATED
cuquito717

Postby cuquito717 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:24 am

NOT TRUE DOING 1947-63 MANY COMPANYS MADE TIMBALES IN BRASS LUDWIG,LEEDY,ROGERS,GRETSCH,SLINGERLAND AND RADIO KING.BRAS WAS CHEAP YOU COULD BUY A SET OF TIMBALES FOR 75.00 DOLLARS TODAY TRY TO BUY A SET IN BRASS ON LESS THAN 600.00 YET STEEL 350.00 A FAIRLY GOOD SET .LUDWIG STARTED MAKING PLATED SETS IN LATE 50S BEFORE THAT THEY WERE BRASS ALL COMPANY WANTED TO LIVE THAT LEEDY ERA IF IN PA,YOU CAN STOP BUY AND SEE FOR YOUR SELF

Mr. Conga wrote:Cuco,
Mathew Smith a great craftsman, say there isnt really such thing as brass timbales, thatis what companies called it.

He try to make his timbales just as the old school , rogers, and leedy timbales sound.
That old school authentic latin timbal sound, with the right cascara pitch sound, shells not too thick so it wont mute the right sound,
and adding calf skins.

He sells stainless steel timbales, and copper plated timbales, which would be called brass timbales by Lp and other companies,
just as Lp calls, some wood North American Ash,but in reality is some other kind of wood, notfrom NorthAmerica necesaraly, but that is what they keep calling it

He says in his experience his stainless steel timbales, and copper plated shells, sound the same, is not about the color of the cascara but the right thickness, and dept, and welding.
cuquito717

Postby cuquito717 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:52 am

Mr. Conga
go to ebay completed sale you will see a set of gretsch timbales in brass , also vintage drum center has a 10.5 13 in brass and also look at john gates website he has a 13 in ludwig timbales on his drum set in brass not plated you can also call ludwig they have a museum in chicago with all there stuff they made since day one it's at the old conn warehouse

Mathew Smith a great craftsman, say there isnt really such thing as brass timbales, that is what companies called it.

and adding calf skins.

He says in his experience his stainless steel timbales, and copper plated shells, sound the same, is not about the color of the cascara but the right thickness, and dept, and welding.[/quote]
cuquito717

Postby Mr. Conga » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:02 am

Thanks, ok at the beginning they were being made of true brass.

Are modern timbales even Lp, true brass timbales????....
The only timbales listed right now with the word brass are:
Matador Brass Timbales 14" and 15" M257b w/out stand

I dont see any gretch to see the example you are talking about.
Mr. Conga

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:21 am

Mr. Conga:

Apart from the Slingerland-Leedy true brass timbales that I had bought from Cuco, I own a set of vintage 1976 Gon Bops timbales that are made of chrome-plated brass. Going by the dents they developed, it could not be steel. It's definitely real brass, as described in their catalog. I don't know about any later production lines.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby cuquito717 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:50 am

Thomas Altmann wrote:Mr. Conga:

Apart from the Slingerland-Leedy true brass timbales that I had bought from Cuco, I own a set of vintage 1976 Gon Bops timbales that are made of chrome-plated brass. Going by the dents they developed, it could not be steel. It's definitely real brass, as described in their catalog. I don't know about any later production lines.

Thomas

HEY THOMAS
HOW ARE YOU HOW ARE THOSE SLINGERLAND HOLDING UP? YES GON BOPS ALSO MADE BRASS TIMBALES,AND STILL MAKES A MODEL OR TWO STILL IN BRASS I THINK IT'S AN ALEX ACUNA MODEL AND THE TUMBO MODEL DO COME IN BRASS A GOOD TIMBALE IF YOU WANT LOOK INTO PEARL ELITE 13/14 GREAT SOUND AND PUT MOUNTED CALF HEADS MONSTER SOUND VERY VINTAGE
cuquito717

Postby cuquito717 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:23 am

Thomas Altmann wrote:Mr. Conga:

Thomas

mienl ,lp,toca,pearl tycoon they all make solid brass timbales but expensive
cuquito717

Postby guarachon63 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:30 am

cuquito 717 wrote:
NOT TRUE DOING 1947-63 MANY COMPANYS MADE TIMBALES IN BRASS...BRASS WAS CHEAP YOU COULD BUY A SET OF TIMBALES FOR 75.00 DOLLARS TODAY TRY TO BUY A SET IN BRASS ON LESS THAN 600.00

It's always amazing to me how inflation works:

What cost $75 in 1947 would cost $689.30 in 2007.
What cost $75 in 1963 would cost $502.89 in 2007.

Data according to the inflation calculator here: http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:57 am

@Mr. Conga:

HOW ARE YOU HOW ARE THOSE SLINGERLAND HOLDING UP?

They are Leedy's from their Slingerland era. - Well, as I said, I bought them from Cuco. A set like this has been my last wish, equipment-wise, and he definitely helped me finding ways to make the transaction. However, having gone a long way from overseas, they arrived in a broken package. The material is essentially in good shape; but I had to have the upper edge of the hembra soldered, because it had a couple of hair splits inside. Now it's perfect again. Both drums are still round, only the rim of the macho is a bit out of shape, certainly due to that careless handling in transport. I still have to bend it back in round before I mount a new skin.

Yeah, well ... steel timbales with plastic heads are always easier to maintain than these instruments. I knew that before. I'm still glad to have them. It's real fun to play them.

Cuco: Could it be that in the old days timbaleros did not tune their macho skins up as much as they do today?

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby cuquito717 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:41 am

hey thomas
sorry to here that they got there damaged they must of throne box . as to tunning it was very much the same as today the only problem were the calf heads, if it was hummed weather you had to have a stenl with you all time to heat up skins so that the would stay in tune and that was a problem

Thomas Altmann wrote:@Mr. Conga:

HOW ARE YOU HOW ARE THOSE SLINGERLAND HOLDING UP?

They are Leedy's from their Slingerland era. - Well, as I said, I bought them from Cuco. A set like this has been my last wish, equipment-wise, and he definitely helped me finding ways to make the transaction. However, having gone a long way from overseas, they arrived in a broken package. The material is essentially in good shape; but I had to have the upper edge of the hembra soldered, because it had a couple of hair splits inside. Now it's perfect again. Both drums are still round, only the rim of the macho is a bit out of shape, certainly due to that careless handling in transport. I still have to bend it back in round before I mount a new skin.

Yeah, well ... steel timbales with plastic heads are always easier to maintain than these instruments. I knew that before. I'm still glad to have them. It's real fun to play them.

Cuco: Could it be that in the old days timbaleros did not tune their macho skins up as much as they do today?

Thomas
cuquito717

Postby cuquito717 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:54 am

guarachon63 wrote:cuquito 717 wrote:
NOT TRUE DOING 1947-63 MANY COMPANYS MADE TIMBALES IN BRASS...BRASS WAS CHEAP YOU COULD BUY A SET OF TIMBALES FOR 75.00 DOLLARS TODAY TRY TO BUY A SET IN BRASS ON LESS THAN 600.00

It's always amazing to me how inflation works:

What cost $75 in 1947 would cost $689.30 in 2007.
What cost $75 in 1963 would cost $502.89 in 2007.

Data according to the inflation calculator here: http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi

Incrediable I paid for my first set of leedy timbales I brought from Henny Adler on 46th street $65.00 with case
cuquito717

Next

Return to Timbales