My new/used timbales

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

My new/used timbales

Postby vinnieL » Sat May 02, 2009 1:03 am

Well guys I have a set of timbales finally and i am very happy. I got them off craigslist from a young kid who did not even list everything he had with the set. I got them with tags still attached not a single scratch or dent on them and a bag of sticks with practice pads as well. Enjoy the pics.
Attachments
DSCN0694.JPG
DSCN0695.JPG
Last edited by vinnieL on Sat May 02, 2009 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
vinnieL

Re: My new/used timbales

Postby vinnieL » Sat May 02, 2009 1:06 am

They have Remo weather king ambassador heads.
vinnieL

Postby Mike » Sat May 02, 2009 4:28 am

Looking good.
You seem to be very happy with them. So without even asking for the price, this set looks like a steal.. :wink:
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby umannyt » Sat May 02, 2009 7:46 am

vinnieL,

Congratulations! I've heard only positive remarks about the Pearl Marc Quinones Signature Timbales--both in terms of sound and price. You're blessed with what you've bought.

I noticed from your 1st picture that you've already put Vic Firth practice mute pads on them.

Enjoy,
umannyt

Postby vinnieL » Sat May 02, 2009 4:12 pm

Yes I put the Vic Firth mute pads on them as you all know they are very loud so the pads sounded like a good idea. The price was great they have gone up too $459.00 new at most places online and locally here i also found them for $459.00. I got them for $280.00. I think i got a great deal as they are literally like new as if they came out of the box. Now it's time to practice and experiment with different sticks to see what sticks i like best.
vinnieL

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sat May 02, 2009 4:31 pm

Sweet. Congrats on the timbales man. Nice score.
bongosnotbombs

Postby umannyt » Sat May 02, 2009 6:22 pm

vinnieL wrote:The price was great they have gone up too $459.00 new at most places online and locally here i also found them for $459.00. I got them for $280.00. I think i got a great deal as they are literally like new as if they came out of the box.

Wow! $459 is about the same price that I bought my Gon Bops Alex Acuna (brass alloy) timbales for--last year! They sure have gone up in price! I still remember when the Pearl Marc Quinones were priced in the mid-$300 up until about last year. With a bag of sticks and practice pads, you did get a killer deal!

Btw, your drums look immaculate! I love that brushed chrome look! Very tasteful!
umannyt

Postby umannyt » Sat May 02, 2009 6:22 pm

vinnieL wrote:The price was great they have gone up too $459.00 new at most places online and locally here i also found them for $459.00. I got them for $280.00. I think i got a great deal as they are literally like new as if they came out of the box.

vinnieL,

Wow! $459 is about the same price that I bought my Gon Bops Alex Acuna (brass alloy) timbales for--last year! They sure have gone up in price! I still remember when the Pearl Marc Quinones were priced in the mid $300 up until about last year. With a bag of sticks and practice pads, you did get a great deal!

Btw, your drums look immaculate! I love that brushed chrome look! Very tasteful!
umannyt

Postby vinnieL » Sun May 03, 2009 9:39 am

Thank you for your comments guys I'm looking foward to learning how to play the timbales and putting in the work needed.
vinnieL

Postby OLSONGO » Wed May 06, 2009 2:54 am

Great score Vinnie, ready for the first lessons ? First is strengthening you wrist and sorry to say but is not beating the Timbales, but on a pillow.
Let the wrist do all of the work , and not the bounce you get from a hard surface. Do single and double stroke rolls. slow then speed up till you have total control.

Paz Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby vinnieL » Wed May 06, 2009 8:30 am

Thanks Oslongo i will try that I'm currently working with a Cuban instructor on congas not sure if i want to take timbale and conga lessons at the same time just don't know if that would have a negative effect on one instrument or the other who know's it may be good for me though we'll see. I have to ask him if he even teaches timbale.
vinnieL

Postby Anonimo » Wed May 06, 2009 12:12 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby OLSONGO » Wed May 06, 2009 3:33 pm

Cuco, I disagree with what you recommend, all of the instruments are different in their own way, and have their own specific place in the music, timing or tempo is up to you and how you practice. And all of the improper things that you mention sounds to me like the lack of an instructor that will point out those things. Personally I learned how to play , the history, how to repair , and make the various instruments that I play, one next to the other. In the rumbas, at times I was on the congas , and switched over to chekere, clave or palitos ( cascara) on a set of timbales, and at times we would incorporate a drumset and would get on that also, as that was the first thing I learned how to play with all of its rudiments.. In Brasilian batucadas , learned how to play it all at the same time, Surdo, pandeiro, tamborim, ganza, agogo, caixa, cuica, pito ,repenique, reco reco and for the capoeira the berimbau. and caxixi. It all depends how much of a sponge you are, and most important the INSTRUCTOR.
Paz
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby vinnieL » Thu May 07, 2009 3:25 am

Thanks for the advice the problem is i am not a young kid and i dont have all the time in the world before my physical skills start to slow down. I wish i would have started when i was younger
vinnieL

Postby Anonimo » Thu May 07, 2009 6:08 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Next

Return to Timbales