Polishing Brass Timbales

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Polishing Brass Timbales

Postby deadhead » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:22 am

I picked up a sweet set of brass Slingerland era Leedy timbales this weekend. They sound amazing, and they are in great shape for their age ('59-'63). The chrome parts are almost perfect, but the brass shells have turned that uggly brown tarnished color. Any one have any good cheap methods of polishing up brass to look like new?
deadhead

Re: Polishing Brass Timbales

Postby Mike » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:27 pm

Nev´r Dull maybe?

But then you take some of the patina away that constitutes the vintage sound...
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby thomas newton » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:27 pm

Clean the dirt off, leave the patina.
Tradition is not the custody of ashes but the propagation of fire.
thomas newton

Postby Callao » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:47 am

Make sure the brass is not lacquered, clean it w any of the product mentioned or clean the old fashion way ...hot vinegar + salt ,then put some olive oil to slow down tarnish

google this words: cleaning brass
Callao

Postby Anonimo » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:49 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Attachments
102_0111.jpg
Here is the way they came in
100_0517.jpg
As work is being preformed inside and out
102_1849.jpg
A finished job
102_0535.jpg
Here you see in stages of polishing from what they look in far right before work to after finish at left completed
Anonimo

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:28 pm

deadhead wrote:I picked up a sweet set of brass Slingerland era Leedy timbales this weekend. They sound amazing, and they are in great shape for their age ('59-'63). The chrome parts are almost perfect, but the brass shells have turned that uggly brown tarnished color. Any one have any good cheap methods of polishing up brass to look like new?

If you are not requiring machine polishing or re plating w/ new brass...which are costly jobs. I recommend removing all parts, use Formby's paint remover, then hand polish w/ non abrasive brass polish called Sure Brite. It is a cotton wadding w/ natural oils that de oxidize the brass , cleans it shiny but will not leave scratches nor remove any material what so ever. Re polishings will remain to be done periodically unless the drums are re lacquered. Its all a matter of what you want to invest in $$ time or elbow grease. I don't care if my old shells are like new polished. I often have them media blasted or given a satin finish w/ metal finishing pads from Scotchbrite, then I lacquer then myself w/ can sprayers & bake in an oven or under lights as they do to cars for enamel paint finishes. A real make over cost as much as new timbales but if you want a collection quality drum...it is a great way to go w/ a refurbishing expert, plating & polishing shop. Of course....I'd hope the shell was in near pristine condition aside from the finish. ( roundness, straight un bent or unscratched shells, non rusted drum parts etc ).
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:32 pm

leedy2 wrote:To all of you out there that have set like these and do not play them because they look ugly. If you have a set of vintage timbales that look ugly,and tarnished. Looks like 1st photo make it look like new polishing & lacquer back like new $200.00 shells only.Start to play them again, The best sounding timbales in market nothing to it has ever been made in market .The only timbales made that came close to these timbales is and was Rogers second to Leedy.Nothing in market has come close best for recording and playing gigs not over powering like steel timbales.Claws,lugs tension rod's you can do your self or I can do for you extra $$. Brass cleaner's do not work when there is lacquar on drums
To tuck skin on a rim of you timbales the way it should for a true sound $100.00 each. Wood hoop lot cheaper but sound not same wood hoop are made more for snare drums on others of same sort.
Welding and hole patching, braseing on case by case . So if you want You vintage set to look like new contact me.
102_0111.jpg

100_0517.jpg

102_1849.jpg

102_0535.jpg

Looking great !
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:46 pm

Mike wrote:Nev´r Dull maybe?

But then you take some of the patina away that constitutes the vintage sound...

I think Vev'r Dull and Sure Brite are the same products under different names. Is'nt Nev'r Dull a cotton wadding in a can soaked in oils....like what military personel used of brass buttons & buckles ? As for patina affecting sound, I do not have a dogs extreme hearing so I never could determine the diference. I know that it is evident in Saxophones according to sax players but in a timbale drum ? I do know that re plating will change the sound...but not be detrimental since more brass adds weight and warmth to brass & is why we drummers love brass any way. New brass shells are not as thick as Leedy's & is part of why we also loved Leedy's ! I also loved Rogers & early Slingerland or Gretsch Brass shells w/ or w/o chrome for more cutting through bands w/o needing larger shells or steel shells. 13" & 14 " are ideal sizes. Preimer also once made a great brass shell. If you need more volume or cutting power than these shells...just add a microphone and balance the sound but maintain the best qualities of sound ! The larger shells are often tuned as if they were smaller shells but only chokes the heads and adds mor e metal ringing to the sound of heads & cascara and begin to sound obnoxious rater than musical, as if they were kitchen pots w/ drum heads mounted. Now...the $500 & $600 timbales sound like cheap import steel timbales from the late 60's. YUK....wasted $$$ for a lame tone.
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Anonimo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:56 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Return to Timbales