Tapped up sticks?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Tapped up sticks?

Postby Tonio » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:16 am

What's up with tapped up sticks?

Here's a pic of Orestes Vilato, seems to be his trade mark.

T
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-01-13 at 8.57.44 PM.png
Tonio

Re: Tapped up sticks?

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:45 am

Hi Tonio,

in that time when I was playing timbales a lot (1990's), I did the same thing. It saves the sticks, especially because you are playing so many rim shots, and because the sticks are sometimes quite thin (mine were 10 mm). Also, it gives a mellower sound, like in the time when they used to wrap the goat skin around the rim. Plus, it enhances the rebound and makes playing easier.

It seems to be a common thing to do. See Nicky Marrero on Típica '73's "Charangueando" album cover. I must have gotten it from somewhere, too.

Greetings,

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Tonio » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:59 pm

Hola Thomas,
Makes sense, most timbales sticks do splinter. The picture is Orestes from his album, so its current. But I do agree timbale sticks used to be really thin, so maybe its a preference many timbalero's carry on.

I suppose it would make a mellower sound. LP's TP steel timbales, which I have are really pingy. But it enhances the rebound? Is that because of the additional weight and being unbalanced? I think I will give a try, I need all the help I can get :wink:

T
Tonio

Postby RitmoBoricua » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:05 pm

Those really thin timbales sticks are hard to master IMHO. They are not
easy to get the bounce back plus you won't get too much volume when
you play the bell or cymbal. I like the cascara sound they produce. They
probably be perfect to play with a charanga and to play danzones. I would
think the thick sticks are better suited for a loud salsa band for example,
where the timbalero needs to cut through with more volume to be heard.
RitmoBoricua

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:44 pm

But it enhances the rebound? Is that because of the additional weight and being unbalanced?

Exactly; they become top-heavy. I never was an expert in physics, but this is what I have experienced. Check it out yourself. They still don't bounce like a regular drumstick though.

I had overheard that the original timbal sticks as used in Danzones were even much thinner. For my ears, thin sticks just produce the sound I want to hear, going by my favorite recordings.

The search for my timbal sticks have been a frustrating subject to pursue for years. My favorite stick was a relatively light-weight 11 mm stick that came in a larger package and was sold by LP in the 1970's and later by a company called Pro-Percussion (less expensive!). They were only very little rounded off at the tips. I think Meinl still offers those sticks in 1 mm gauge. I just hate the sound and the feel of those heavy hickory sticks that are obtainable today, for too much money, and they are all too long for the way I am used to play. It's no fun playing anymore.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Tonio » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:51 am

Ha, I have a box (not full now-few pairs left) of the LP timbale sticks !! The box says 3/8" . I need a metric ruler :lol:
I've moved onto Vick firth "conquistador " sticks ,and also have LP's "Marc Quinones" sticks among others. These sticks are 16 & 17" long respectively. The old Lp's are 15".

I'll have to try out the oldies again, and see how they feel , sound.

Oh, BTW Vik Firth has .330" sticks.
T
Tonio

Postby msb501clave » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:04 pm

I can make you guys Sticks any length and diameter and pretty much any wood you can imagine. they are well balanced though not like the Vic Firth balancing but a custom stick may be something nice for a change.
--

Michael
L&H Percussion
(908) 419-7364
www.landhpercussion.com
msb501clave

Postby Thomas Altmann » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:03 pm

@Tonio:

3/8" is about (a little less than) 10 mm or 1 cm.

The stick that I preferred has 7/16" (about 11 mm). It was 15" long, as you found out already. Unfortunately I cannot identify the wood of those old LP sticks. It wasn't maple, and I suppose it wasn't hickory either.

@Michael:

Your offer sounds very interesting. Is there any minimum quantity you would settle for? Any idea about the price range? As I said, I can't name the type of the wood. Maple does not bring any rebound; it dies right on the drum. Hickory tends to be quite heavy, but maybe it would be a choice to start with and go from there, if the measurements alone don't make it.

About the shape of the tips:

sticktip.JPG
sticktip.JPG (5.19 KiB) Viewed 5019 times

I want the tips look like the first one (top of the picture).

I think that up to your response everybody in the forum might be interested; should this get special between you and me, we can switch to private message mode.

Thomas
Last edited by Thomas Altmann on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Altmann

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:12 pm

Hey guys just go to your local hardware store and buy 'dowels' and cut your own sticks(they come thick and thin) it's a LOT cheaper ...been doing it for years..LP who?...."JC" Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby Thomas Altmann » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:16 pm

Hi Johnny,

I appreciate your advice, and as a matter of fact my first percussion teacher here (actually my band mate), Bernardo Ball from Venezuela, did the same thing for a while, back in the eighties. I tried it once, and it didn't work out for me. I worked to cut and sand them and shape the tips, and when I played them I blew them right away. They are usually made from beech wood or some type of fir, and they develop nasty splinters. Worst of all, they don't have any stick rebound at all. They vibrate in a way that I don't like. It's like playing with no sticks, just worse, because I like hand drumming.

So my personal feeling is that not any dowel makes a stick.

Thanks anyway,

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Anonimo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:29 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Attachments
102_1781.jpg
15" Currently used
102_1784.jpg
12" Still in market hardly used Humberto morales model today called Tito Puente model
102_1783.jpg
Here you can see difference of both stick 12" and 15"currently used today
Anonimo

Postby Omelenko1 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:51 pm

Back in the days, charanga bands in Cuba used "palos de guayaba", branches from the guaava tree. Timbaleros and danzoneros will get these sticks from Guaava tree branches, clean them up a sand them a bit. These were very hard and difficult to break. I still have some around. The ticker ones were used for bongo bells.

"Buscando Guayaba ando yo, que tenga sabor, que tenga mendo' "

Dario
Omelenko1

Return to Timbales