Bass (kick) drum in New York Mozambique

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Bass (kick) drum in New York Mozambique

Postby El Boni » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:15 pm

Anybody have good ideas about where to play the kick drum in a NY-style mozambique?

Just added a kick to my timbales set-up and have lessons/notes on placement for most other rhythms, but curious where people like to put it on this one.

Cheers.
El Boni

Re: Bass (kick) drum in New York Mozambique

Postby Anonimo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:06 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby pavloconga » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:23 am

hi el boni,
As a starting point have a look and listen to these two resources if you can (I'm sure there many others too):

"The Essence of Afro Cuban Percussion and Drum Set" by Ed Uribe, Warner Bros. Publications

"Afro-Cuban Rhythms for Drum Set" by Frankie Malabe and Bob Weiner, Manhattan Music.

I just had a listen to the recording on the Ed Uribé CD and there's so many variations on this. Often the kick drum accent is being played on the bombo (beat '2 and' on the 3 side of the clavé), but there are so many variations on this, the bass accents can fall in a lot of different places depending on the situation and arrangement.
Pavlo
pavloconga

Postby Anonimo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:42 pm

Anonimo

Postby RitmoBoricua » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:25 pm

leedy2 wrote: I spoke to ED regarding this some time ago his response to me was that he is more of a drummer he try to implement it or rather corporate into the Rhythm.

I bought my brass afro timbales from Ed Uribe like 9 years ago he shipped them to me in one of this old black hard cases with straps/belts, very cool.
RitmoBoricua

Postby pavloconga » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:05 am

leedy2 wrote:
pavloconga wrote:hi el boni,
As a starting point have a look and listen to these two resources if you can (I'm sure there many others too):

"The Essence of Afro Cuban Percussion and Drum Set" by Ed Uribe, Warner Bros. Publications

"Afro-Cuban Rhythms for Drum Set" by Frankie Malabe and Bob Weiner, Manhattan Music.

I just had a listen to the recording on the Ed Uribé CD and there's so many variations on this. Often the kick drum accent is being played on the bombo (beat '2 and' on the 3 side of the clavé), but there are so many variations on this, the bass accents can fall in a lot of different places depending on the situation and arrangement.
Pavlo

pavoconga
what was done on that recording was they add a samba beat In reality it's not a real Mozambique. I spoke to ED regarding this some time ago his response to me was that he is more of a drummer he try to implement it or rather corporate into the Rhythm.But in reality it does not go.

hi leedy,
I wonder if we are listening/referring to the same publication?
The recording examples of Ed Uribé I listened to don't sound like samba to me.

Audio example 259 (page 282 of the book) – 4 bar Mozambique combinations on drum kit
Audio example 258 (page 278 of the book) – Mozambique – bell and bombo on toms combination
pavloconga

Postby Anonimo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:54 pm

Anonimo

Postby El Boni » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:37 am

Thanks for replies. I know NY mozambique doesn't traditionally have a kickdrum in it, but then people didn't use a kick with their timbales back then. I don't see any reason why we can't add something to it now - as long as it's in keeping with the feel.

My understanding is there are different ways to play the kick with timbales - either only reinforcing accents ( a la Sonora Poncena), or integrating it into the rhythm using it to add another bass sound. This is useful for example in Cuban Mozambique where you're replicating two bomba drums.

Cheers PavloConga - the bombo beat is logical - and it reinforces the open hembra in bar two. Will try it out and experiment.

Haven't got the Uribe or Malabe/Weiner books but will check them out.
El Boni

Postby Anonimo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:37 am

Anonimo

Postby El Boni » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:10 am

Hi Leedy2

Yes, we're saying the same thing. At the time NY Mozambique was adapted from the Cuban (by Manny Oquendo, around 1962 - though I'm sure you have more detail on this), kick drums were not in general use by timbaleros. If they were, I'm sure the players would have incorporated it into the new rhythm.

If you really believe that I'm 'destroying quality music' by adding one or two kick drum beats in appropriate parts of a rhythm; well, there's not much I can say to that.
El Boni

Postby Anonimo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:33 am

Last edited by Anonimo on Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonimo

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:33 pm

Willie Bobo was the first cat i saw on timbales using an 18 inch bass drum(standing up) with his set up, back in 1966-67..he didnt use it for Mozambique patterns but he used it for effect and 'ponches".....Manny never used one....really didnt need to..."JC" Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby Anonimo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Attachments
m_d0f5c7d9fb75407bb2b3b53ea6e68e3c[1].jpg
Manny Oquendo photo when he was with Palmeri
m_d0f5c7d9fb75407bb2b3b53ea6e68e3c[1].jpg (8.48 KiB) Viewed 6579 times
Anonimo

Postby pavloconga » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:53 am

leedy
I think you should at least attribute your source for the info on Mozambique that you posted, which is direct from Chilean-Australian percussionist Alex Pertout's website.
I note that Alex Pertout is claiming copyright as the author of the article.
pavlo
pavloconga

Postby Anonimo » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:42 am

Anonimo

Next

Return to Timbales