Sticks

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Sticks

Postby msb501clave » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:30 pm

I have been able to get a bunch of timbale sticks made. These are 5/8 diam/13" length. Im am waiting on the 1/2" diameter 15"length to come in. But have a look at what ive got. i experimented with different woods. I can always special order anything you want.

Michael
L&H Percussion
http://landhpercussion.com/
Attachments
DSCN0529.JPG
L&H Timb Sticks
msb501clave

Re: Sticks

Postby Anonimo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:26 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:47 am

leedy2 wrote:Timbales sticks funny every company makes a model or two of stick's. LP has 4 sizes and 2 different woods hickory and regular wood and I believe a fiberglass stick that is a piece crap.Other company's like pro-mark , Zildjian, Vic Firth ,Paiste,Regal tip and many other companies. The problem is weight of stick and drum they are being used on that what make's a difference. Example older sets like Leedy ,Rogers ,Ludwig in brass stick size recommended for a crisp sound is 3/8-5/16 any thing thicker will make you drums sound distorted . Know for many of newer drums made today you have to use stick sizes of 9/16-1/2 due to the the way shell are made 1) shell's too thick 2) the sizes they are made 14/15 yet many sound distorted the stick used helps control the sound.

Dowels one large problem the way they are cut make a big difference a straight cut produces dull sound if not rounded off .2ND) wood must be strong to hold pressure when banging drum if wood is soft it can brake. If wood is to hard it can brake you skin's depending on skin you use. the perfect weight and balance is needed for the perfect sound .

Also bell rides the stick make a difference as to how you bell is going to sound canny or it will sound over powering or melodic .I personally like a company called Vater they have a good stick and well balanced.

One thing that came to mine and had to add regarding sticks. Many years ago approx before 40's the sizes of timbales stick that were used were 1/2 x 12'' long. Since stick were so short it produce a better sound on timbales drum,They would not vibrate as much and a solid sound was produced by them.This size stick first to Endorse was Humberto Morales and used by many in the fifty's .In the last 15 years Latin Percussion designed a similar model under Tito Puente name. today ever company has d efferent lengths of sticks that range from 15'' ,16'', 17'' in length. Also thickness and weight of stick make a difference in size of drums that you are also playing 13/14 or a 14/15

Know my question to you do you really need a stick that long when the shorter stick produces a more efficient sound on the drums and bell ride ?

refer to after read. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5802&start=0

In 92"Tito Puente told me he used to steal the dowels from Coat & Pants hangers from hotel rooms He like the size & feel ! I like 14 & 15 " sticks at various thickness depending the music & the drum shells I am playing. Zildjian " Luis Conte ", are my most used stick on plastic heads.
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby DJBakan » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:04 am

Well it seemed nobody posted anything about weight of sticks so I decided to do a little research. I actually contacted Vic Firth, Zildjian and Vater yesterday night and I have to say I am very impressed I did not expected for them to response so fast, today noon they both answered. The only one that did not answer to me yet is Vater.

This is what they told me Zildjian:
"The Marc Quinones Salsa Timbale Sticks are 16 5/8” long, .500 diameter, and .20 lbs for a pair. (so .1 each)
The Giovanni Hidalgo are 14 7/8” long, .440 diameter, and .14 lbs for a pair."

Vic Firth:
"SAA will range from about 24 grams (48 per pair) to 40+
SAA2 will range from about 30 grams (60 per pair) to 42+"

So this is a little resume about Diameter of sticks from largest to smallest:

9/16 = 0.562 inches
1/2 = 0.500
7/16 = 0.437
3/8 = 0.375
5/16 = 0.312

So for these particular very popular sticks the sizes and weight are (Individual stick):

Vic Firth Alex Acuña (Red) : Length = 16" | Diameter = .440" | Weight = 24 grams = 0.847 oz
Vic Firth Alex Acuña (Purple) : Length = 16 1/8" | Diameter = .500" | Weight = 30 grams = 1.058 oz
Zildjian Giovanni Hidalgo : Length = 14 7/8" | Diameter = .440" | Weight = 31.75 grams = 1.120 oz
Zildjian Marc Quiñones Salsa : Length = 16 5/8" | Diameter = .500" | Weight = 45.36 grams = 1.600 oz

For Vater I asked about the "Tito de Gracia Stick", "1/2 Vater Hickory Timbale stick" and "Karl Perazzo's Drumbale"

I hope you all can add something to this list if you know the weight of other sticks or for what you see here you can "design" your perfect "Length, Diameter and Weight" for Timbales STICKS.

Peace

DJBakan
DJBakan

Postby Anonimo » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:21 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Return to Timbales