Best heads for old L.P's

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Re: Best heads for old L.P's

Postby Anonimo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:44 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Last edited by Anonimo on Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonimo

Postby Bongobilly » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:06 pm

Leedy 2: I finally talked to my buddy in New Jersey about Charlie Tappan and he told me he use to teach out of a music in Edison New Jersey Called Lou Rose music.Charlie was living in a trailer in South river N.J/ He believes he was teaching there frok the mid sixtys . He said Charlie had a shop in back of the music store and did repairs and also made stuff like this drum pad that sounded great! I had one . Charlie passed away in the mid 80's coming home from the music store in blizzard on the parkway. He ran off road got stuck and at the time and the snow plows didnt see him and kept plowing snow over him. He was dimensional so he didnt know what to do sat in the car on until the gas ran out and they found him dead days latter. My friend just got in contacted with the music store and the owner is thinking about having a Charlie Tappen day and is going to dig out whatever there have on him and display it. The owner also verified what you said about the timbales that Charlie was involve with. He told me he also had a son Charlie Jr. who won all kind's of competitions in drumming.
It's Mofongo Time!
Bongobilly

Postby Anonimo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:53 am

Anonimo

Postby Latindrummer » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:04 am

by Callao » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:03 pm
I have the same problem installing regular heads on my Park Palisades Tito Puente model.

I purchased my Palisades Park version of Tito Puente models new back in 1979. I have never experienced problems fitting different heads to them.
Latindrummer

Postby Bongobilly » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:29 am

leedy2 : You know your stuff. So tell me about theses timbales. Ludwigs looks like 60's by looking at the badge, copper plated on the outside but i dont see any were you can place the cowbell. Whats the deal? Thanks. Frankie.
Attachments
Picture 056.jpg
Picture 058.jpg
It's Mofongo Time!
Bongobilly

Postby Anonimo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:36 am

Attachments
140CAJRZ0LI.jpg
this is mount
140CAJRZ0LI.jpg (3.17 KiB) Viewed 13687 times
Anonimo

Postby Bongobilly » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:33 pm

Thanks Leedy2: Whats the value if any for these tims. it has numbers on the badge. Thanks. Frankie.
It's Mofongo Time!
Bongobilly

Postby Anonimo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:24 am

Anonimo

Postby Callao » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:50 pm

But if I heat it with the blow dryer what about the rim of the drumhead? it will stay the same diameter...I force it in and it sounds good.

About the aquarian vintage drumhead besides being yellow I read it in an aquarian pamphlet that this drumhead it oversized for vintage drums.
Callao

Postby Anonimo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:00 pm

Anonimo

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:03 pm

The size of vintage drums have been same along nothing to do with oversized

Sorry Cuco: I don't really believe that what I am saying refers to the LP timbales, too; but at least my 14" Slingerland Radio King from the 50's is just a tiny bit wider than today's drums. That means that normal hoops sit pretty tightly around the drum, which in turn makes the drum hard to tune and affects the rebound properties of the head. The head is not "floating" as much as on modern drums. I like the sound, though; it's a very special sound.

I cannot imagine, however, that larger heads (Aquarian?) will do the trick. Wider hoops wouldn't fit under double- or triple-flanged rims. They would fit under simple single-flanged rims - or timbales rims.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Anonimo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:06 pm

Anonimo

Postby Thomas Altmann » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:09 pm

Cuco:

follow this thread up to page 2 and you'll see what I was talking about: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=171654.

The Leedy company started this concept with their snare drums in the 1920's.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Anonimo » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:20 pm

Anonimo

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:30 am

Great photo essay on the history in a nut shell :) Show the timbalitos & Gretsch kits like these too. I have never seen these many of these era drums in the west coast. I'm unsure how many of these exist out here. But the rareness of them is certainly making them a high collectors value now and as time passes. Personaly I feel they are all worthy of American art & history museums ! But now, I hope to build future timbales & hybrid drum models. Please keep an eye out for a source of smaller sized timbalito & small timbale rims for me OK ?I have some shells I want to mountm on plated or unplated rims but dont wanna order them made if I find used ones. Thanks Brother.
Ernesto Pediangco

PreviousNext

Return to Timbales