TILT SYSTEMS ON TIMBALES STANDS

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

TILT SYSTEMS ON TIMBALES STANDS

Postby Anonimo » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:21 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Re: TILT SYSTEMS ON TIMBALES STANDS

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:45 pm

I agree ! Most tilting hard wares are made of cast pot metal and are parts that come from drum stands and cymbal stands. This is a weak link and if a casting breaks ( the drum shops are full of broken parts like this ) then the drums can be destroyed. I use old steel tilters if I use tilting while seated with many other drums. Other wise I play in typical fasion with flat level set ups for better ergonomic posture and allowing me visibility to the musicians and the public audience. The timbaleros that do tilt the timbale set do not realize the volume of the drums become even louder and creates a bad balance with the rest of the band. I think its an ego inspired thing to try to look cool. Its also evidence that the rock band image and vanity has sucked drummers into buying more heavy hard wares that the companies push onto the market. I always retrofit my own stands and mounting hard wares to be used with old Rogers stands that set up lower in case I do play seated position, but the 3 sections of adjustment will still allow for standing positions. A flat position lets me use the drums to hold my sticks and other items with out rolling off. The trend now from Pearl & Gon Bops is using conga mounts attached to timbales so a heavy conga stand style mount is needed. Its a stupid design that is forcing the player to buy and carry heavier equipments instead of practical ones. These stands and mountings are begining to look like truck parts ! My vintage stands with my own percussion / bell mounts are very practical and light weight yet strong enough to stand on the drums ! This is why I have sold all my Asian made timbales, congas & bongos. My second hand vintage models are better designed as drums and I can easily adapt mountings and stands of my choice.
Ernesto Pediangco

Return to Timbales