Critique on Left hand for Timbales

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Re: Critique on Left hand for Timbales

Postby Anonimo » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:54 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:47 pm

I dont know about Orestes playing with Belisario ..I do know that the first band in NYCity he played in was with Johnny Pacheco recording-1961-2 and then he joined Gil Suarez and the Hi-Latins..I know this cause at the age of 17 I was in the band with Orestes and Pete Bonet was the singer...then after that gig he joined Ray Baretto..Here he is below on the Hi-Latins first recording...Johnny Conga...ps I never recorded with them ..I took the place of Lefty Maldonado(far right) who got drafted for Vietnam
Hi Latins.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby Anonimo » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:15 pm

Anonimo

Postby Omelenko1 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:56 pm

Orestes started with Belisario Lopez when he was 13 years of age, he later played with Fajardo replacing a guy by the name of Hector Zeno on timbales. Ore told me in an interview at my show In WDNA that Zeno was one of his influences, along with Orestes Varona, timbalero for Aragon and Ulpiano Diaz, timbalero for Fajardo and Arcaño. Ore and Kenny Gomez, the piano player, took a reel to reel that night of Fajardo live at "La Barraca" featuring Orestes and Zeno both on timbales, Sonny Bravo was the piano player and Joe Grajales I think was the conguero. This was in the early 60's (64 or 65).

Dario
Omelenko1

Postby Anonimo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:07 am

Anonimo

Postby Omelenko1 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:55 pm

Kenny is a good friend, he's been down here for many years now.

Dario
Omelenko1

Postby Anonimo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:53 am

Anonimo

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:00 pm

Absolutely correct technique as I had eventualy learned in my earl years playing Latin drums & percussion. The music genres of today are so much more about flash over substance. Old school techniques are more difficult when loud bands and over playing egotisim dominates the music quality. I do use a stick to ride the hembra to mark time in an effort to be heard by the other drummers who are not paying attention to dynamics and the locking of the perc & rhythm section. Thats what separates a crude band from a refined band. Thanks Leedy2 for this ~ I hope others understand ! ?
Ernesto Pediangco

Re: Learning substance on the Timbales?

Postby norskdrum » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:23 pm

The music genres of today are so much more about flash over substance.

:roll: I would like to return to the old days and learn to play with substance ,
Do you think an old guy of 55 in poor health could learn the good habbits of how to really play the timbales (the correct way) from scratch? :?:

I also wished to buy a pair of Conga drums to compliment my wished for percussion set up..but I do not think I have the time to learn both of these wonderful instruments..nothing to do with the discussion I read on "should you be learning one instrument well or several instruments at once" :?: this is more a practical consideration due to my age and health.
So I think I would be suited to the Timbales..and just maybe a few extra percussion items to add that bit extra voice..i refer to blocks,cymbals,gong e.t.c. I am certainly no expert but would love to achive a good basic standard if at all possible..I certainly have the motivation...

And if I live that long :shock: ..which Timbali teacher would you send me to..to learn only the good habbits!My dream would be to visit the states or anywhere where I could get a feel for the real thing with a highly respected teacher..even over a short visit of a week or two :?: ?of course I will be trying to follow the many online videos e.t.c. as my main aid to learning.

Sorry for this odd sounding intrusive reply,but I have so enjoyed reading the quality of discussion,between you guys on the above and many other percussion topics.

Very best Wishes From an Englishman in Norway

Regards Steve :D
norskdrum

Previous

Return to Timbales