Todays lesson Rogers Timbales

Postby Anonimo » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:31 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Attachments
rogers timbales.jpg
1958 Rogers in it prime
My_Rogers_002.JPG
End of era for Rogers photo courtesy of jastimba Johnny Salinas
Last edited by Anonimo on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Anonimo

Re: Todays lesson Rogers Timbales

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:27 pm

Thank you Maestro Cuco for the history. This clears up my comfusion on this odd Rogers timbale model belonging to J. Salinas. It adds to my awareness of Rogers, since you know I am a big fan of many of Rogers innovative designs of drums, timbales & hard wares. Rogers sad decline is a perfect example of how American companies that were the original designers of a innovative product, end up going to Asian companies only to become mediorce copies of former quality. Recently Gon Bops has been re introduced & have some improved product design in the top line Congas & even the Tumbao Pro models made in Asia, but the Timbales are no better than before & are only just another simular copy of other Asiam made models, like a generic timbale . Many Gon Bops items are just recycled versions of low quality entry level cow bells , as an example. Lets hope that under Sabian's control, the company does not fade into oblivion the way Rogers & other American / gone to Asian companies have. Slingerland is a simular sad story. Rogers will always influence my own design concepts, as George Way of Leedy company who influenced all designs of American drum companies also did. To my knowlege, I think I am the only person who is doing the reserch & has planned to redesign Latin Drums w/ forward thinking innovations. Everything I see emerging on the market, is a half hearted attempt & mostly backward thinking or just adding hyped up changes to existing designs. I am glad the industry is so lame since it creates room for me to introduce comprehensive improvements that will influence future changes ( in my own posible company models ) and from others, so in time it will elevate the drum industry beyond what the limited mind set companies now provide. Cucu...you know I will send you the first proto types to add to your collection. :) Gracias Maestro ! I learn much from you...... Ernesto Pediangco 2/13/2011
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Johnny Salinas » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:48 am

Cuco, Ernesto, I want to thank both of you for the history lesson and great conversation regarding my timbales, the sound, look, and quality of these drums is still without a doubt, Rogers, all they need is a little TLC , thats why the first thing I did to them was install a wood separator, it just didnt look or seem right without it, especially because of the way they mount through the shells, the weight of the shelIs put a lot of pressure on the mounts and hex rods, they sagged alot, Im surprised that the shells/mounts havent cracked. I think Im going to take Cucos advice and replace those tom tom rims with some rogers timbale rims and claws, they will definately look better but they will tune easyer due to the six lugs. Im looking forward to playing a live performance with them. Im posting more photos just so the other members of this excellent site can see what we're talking about.
My Rogers 001.JPG
Rogers with swivomatic mounts
My Rogers 004.JPG
Johnny Salinas

Postby Johnny Salinas » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:52 am

more photos
My Rogers 005.JPG
swivo mount
My Rogers 008.JPG
Rogers swivo hex
Johnny Salinas

Postby Anonimo » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:34 am

Attachments
SUNP0042.JPG
This the CBS stand
SUNP0040.JPG
The Humberto Morales Model , 1958 brass Model and the CBS model
20100516_189.JPG
Rogers stand 1958-1969
Rogers1968.zip
(1.66 MiB) Downloaded 301 times
Anonimo

Postby Johnny Salinas » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:12 am

Cuco thanks again, I will take care of these drums, yes I have other rogers sets, 2 more script model, 2 big R sets and I have 1 14in Humberto COB model, also I have 2 slingerland sets, and Leedy/slingerland set. I also have a coulple sets of gon bobs, a few sets of WFL, Ludwigs, 50s, 60s and 70s, a few sets of 70s and 80s LP, and not that long ago I got a small set of Premier copper timbalitos from the 60s, they are in excellent shape, thay came with original bells, stand and cowbell mounts. I'll have take some photos of all my drums and post them here (nothing compared to what you have, LOL) I'll bet you have the largest collection in the world, Im out of room with just the little bit I have. The only drums I dont have are the Leedy/ Humberto model, one day I'll be able to afford a set.
Johnny Salinas

Postby Anonimo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:13 am

Attachments
20100516_15.JPG
ONLY ONE IN THE WORLD THIS WAS A PERSONAL TIMBALES BELONGING TO MARIANO BOBADILLA
SC68565_fpx&obj=iip,1 (2).jpg
THIS IS THE REAL DEAL THIS IS WHAT WAS FIRST USED BACK IN 1900'S TO PLAY DANZONES WORTH $10.000 i AM ONLY MISSING THE STANDS FOR IT SIZES OF DRUMS 14/16
SC68565_fpx&obj=iip,1 (2).jpg (11.38 KiB) Viewed 7368 times
Anonimo

Postby Johnny Salinas » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:58 pm

Cuco,I love those kettle drums, Im sure you could make some stands for them using some old photos or videos, they would look very nice if you restored them, not sure if they would be worth more money restored or less money but they would be very nice, thanks for sharing
Johnny Salinas

Postby Anonimo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:07 am

Anonimo

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:54 am

I love Rogers timbales, but never use any of the junk mounting systems they did such a poor job designing. I always convert them to a simple Ludwig clip mount that fits the same hole locations on the shell mount. I have to remove the Rogers crap & do some slight alterations depending on the mount design of the particular mount. The worse was the large CBS era tom tom mount w/ 1 " tubing extension that entered the shell. How horrible when Rock & Roll drum design influences Latin drum design ! The cast lug is some thing I am like wise am tired of since they are not strong enough ~ they break off & replacements are hard to come by, but I don't want to use the crude Lp style tuning parts either. I am going to make my own steel lugs that fit drum key rods. At times I have used my home made rim mounted design & stand which was a vast improvement over many timbale mountings. This was superior to most crap they design onto timbales in past decades. Why do they ( major Latin Drum companies ) not understand simple is better & shell mounted timbale drums are a big obsolete joke and so are the lame bell mounting designs they use that get heavier but not better ! ? I am happy with my Leedy / Afro hybrid set but will in the future go w/ a redesigned 5 lug tuning system of my own so as not to be limited to conventional design draw backs. Lp & Pearl have finaly attempted to make a top tuned 5 lug timbale...but are only going back to designs from the 50's and offer little else in refinement or advancement of Latin Drum design. Toca & Tycoon, still use the L bracket lug & heavy bolts for tuning. Gon Bops & Pearl simply made their timbale lugs look more like conga lugs and use a lame conga mounting bracket on the drum shell. This is so LAME and back ward thinking. Crude Latin Drums still lag behind American drum design. Even that is derived from the 1930's ! I guess I am the only designer, considering designing every element from scratch and avoiding the crude & lame concepts. The major companies dont seem to care.This is why Rogers stand out in the pile of vintage & contemporary timbale sets. Look great, sound great, portable & practical & with lighter weight & proper shell sizes for most applications & gig settings.
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Johnny Salinas » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:05 pm

I finally got all the parts to convert my original tom rims to heavy steel timbale rims and claws, I was told the claws are Gretsch, they are a perfect size,and at $20 for the set I could'nt pass them up. The rims I got from another set of Rogers tims, I dont think they are Rogers, as they are thicker and more heavy duty than the standard rolled steel, though Im not sure, maybe Cuco, you can Identify them, combined with the 6 claws it makes the tuning very easy. I have some plastic heads on for temporary, I think these rims would accept some calf skin wrapped around them very nicely. I think the look, feel and sound is much better.
Attachments
Monas birthday and rogers 034.JPG
new rims
Monas birthday and rogers 035.JPG
Gretsch claws
Johnny Salinas

Postby ghostdrummer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:26 am

nice timbales juan.
ghostdrummer

Postby Anonimo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:24 pm

Anonimo

Postby Anonimo » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:11 pm

Attachments
vintage rogers.jpg
The first set of timbales rogers made late 1940's
Last edited by Anonimo on Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonimo

Postby Johnny Salinas » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:15 pm

leedy2 wrote:Hey Johnny
Remember back when you were looking for years of your timbales that I told yours were one of last model they Yamaha made. Well here is a photo of the first late 40's Rogers timbales what they looked like very simular to yours but in reverse . Claws are not original but drum and every thing else is. The very first set till mid 50's that they changed over to new designs .

Wow cool, is it yours? thanks for sharing!
Johnny Salinas

Next

Return to Timbales