Rare Tarolas,Pailas,Timbalitos,Timbales ( post a pic & Info)

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Rare Tarolas,Pailas,Timbalitos,Timbales ( post a pic & Info)

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:56 am

Rare Tarolas,Timbalitos, Pailas ( & Timbales ~ other than typical classic American models we see often. Post a Picture & info , pros & cons.
Ernesto Pediangco

Re: Rare Tarolas,Pailas,Timbalitos,Timbales ( post a pic & Info)

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:04 am

Ernesto Pediangco wrote:Rare Tarolas,Timbalitos, Pailas ( & Timbales ~ other than typical classic American models we see often. Post a Picture & info , pros & cons.

These shells are mounted on a stand inspired by Lp timbale stand but uses a bridge between 2 lug straps that has the mount attached, then fits to the stand. The Goat heads w/ hair would produce a very muted drum head sound. These shells are designed as a add lib & soloing instrument similar to bongo phrasing, not nessearily for flashy technical explosions. Listen to Manny Oquendo or Pablo Mozo or Pablo Rosario as great examples !
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:19 am

This cover shows a painted set of drums which is most likely wood ply drum shells w/ timbale style rims which are actualy wood hoops & single claws like was available on marching drums of this era. Many drummers would make thier own metal drums of this type by wraping copper sheet around wood hoops , using wood screws to attach metal shell to top & bottom drum edges. simple drum lugs or L brackets from hard ware stores would use key rods or hooks of a variety of sizes. Calf skins were mounted by the rims or on skin wires w/ the rim fitting over them.
Last edited by Ernesto Pediangco on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:41 am

American drum companies began timbale models in wood w/ by today's standards had very light hard wares. These are 1940's Slingerland 5 lug wood timbales w/ green sparkle wrapper with key rods & small clips.The cast lugs or tube lug designs were common w/ key rods & small clips on single flanged rims. As playing techniques like cascara playing tend to delaminate shells, it became apparent that metal shells were more appropriate Leedy drum company was the most experimental & successful at creating a timbale design & mounting system specific for use in Latin music bands.Others entered the market with various different sizes & designs of shells. Gretsch, Slingerland, W.F.L, Ludwig, Gon Bops, Premier,Lp inc, Sonar & later...Asian made products from American & European & Asian owned companies. Pailas & Timbalitos are so specialized that most these companies ended production of these and so few alternatives are available now. Home made versions are easy to construct using concert toms or even cutting a tom tom in half. New Keller brand shells can be finished with stains, sealer coatings or wrapper ( wrappers dull the shell ) and various hard wares.
LosguaracherosdeOriente-366x360.png
[attachment=1]rareti1ludwigs.jpg
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:40 pm

Dig Karl-Heinz Weimer's cute Latin-Percussion-instruments page (Trixon Drums, Hamburg, Germany). This is the same company that manufactured the conical and elliptical drum sets. This is from a 1960's catalogue.

Trixon-LatinPercussion.JPG
Karl-Heinz Weimer's exotic garden

Needless to say, I never checked any of these out.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Mike » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:05 pm

Thomas Altmann wrote:Dig Karl-Heinz Weimer's cute Latin-Percussion-instruments page (Trixon Drums, Hamburg, Germany). This is the same company that manufactured the conical and elliptical drum sets. This is from a 1960's catalogue.

Thomas

Thomas Altmann wrote:Exotic garden
- like that :lol:
I once played a pair of those conical shaped "congas" which an aunt of mine had had
in her cellar bar in the 1960s and they sounded like crap, not the remotest whiff of anything
conga-like, and in my opinion nothing more than just an accessoire for - a cellar bar...
But of course there is something to these fancy drums, bringing back memories of the 1960s and 1970s. :)
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:18 pm

and in my opinion nothing more than just an accessoire for - a cellar bar...

trash cult
trixon-trash-art.JPG
Trixon ad 1968
Thomas Altmann

Postby Anonimo » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:48 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:10 pm

@ Cuco:

I knew that these drums are collectors' items today, but I wasn't unaware of bids that high!

Anyway, I was rather referring to the advertisement design that allows for conclusions regarding Weimer's taste.

Sorry Ernesto; I did not intend to hijack the thread off-topic.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 am

Thomas Altmann wrote:Dig Karl-Heinz Weimer's cute Latin-Percussion-instruments page (Trixon Drums, Hamburg, Germany). This is the same company that manufactured the conical and elliptical drum sets. This is from a 1960's catalogue.

Thomas

Ha ha, Yeah, these were not at all common in the U.S.A. But Lugwig had a similar niche w/ some very lightweight laminated conical shells & drum set rims etc w/ plastic heads. All they are good for is decoration or to hold up a flower pot ! I never saw this catalog fromTrixon. But the art on the wrapper covers would be sooooo cool on a cocktail drum set w/ timbales & Trixon's odd shaped shells. Very " George Jetson " like design.
Last edited by Ernesto Pediangco on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:22 am

Afro made a set of 10" & 12 " set of timbalitos that had a good shell design w/ snare drum styled sound edges & typical crude Latin drum tuning system & mountings. But this size was so cool as a portable practice set, jazz combo set, or tuned up as a soloing set next to a regular sized timbale set. I am in the market for these sizes in brass or steel w/ this quality shell. Lp made similar products but I was never impressed w/ the sound edges & tuning hard wares. My intention is to change the tuning system any way. I do not like L bracket lugs.
Afro timbalitos.jpg
n24722467271_691091_529Tito RodriguezTimbalero.jpg
165438_149362558449200_100001263706602_302747_672383_n.jpg
user8428_pic2363_1260184661_thumb.jpg
Last edited by Ernesto Pediangco on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:31 am

Thomas Altmann wrote:@ Cuco:

I knew that these drums are collectors' items today, but I wasn't unaware of bids that high!

Anyway, I was rather referring to the advertisement design that allows for conclusions regarding Weimer's taste.

Sorry Ernesto; I did not intend to hijack the thread off-topic.

Thomas
No problem Thomas, this is OUR forum & all drum topics are educational as far as I am concerned. BTW _ how about the conical Trixon drum sets w/ 14" toms that had 13" bottom heads for example ! The whole drum set was like this, very unique & very Cool. I just never liked Trixons cast metal lugs & some of the hard ware set ups. But at least they were offering unique alternatives regarding drum design. I loved the egg shaped bass drum & odd way the toms were mounted. It looked like rabbit ear antennas w/ toms hanging on them :)
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Johnny Salinas » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:46 am

Here's a few photos I want to share of my 50s WFL timbalitos, they have 10 1/2 in and 13 in head sizes, I use Rogers hardware with a modern mount to hold my cowbells and wood block, it works very well.
Attachments
WFL Timbalitos 003.JPG
50s WFL timbalitos
WFL Timbalitos 001.JPG
WFL Timbalitos
WFL Timbalitos 009.JPG
Johnny Salinas

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:21 am

Johnny Salinas wrote:Here's a few photos I want to share of my 50s WFL timbalitos, they have 10 1/2 in and 13 in head sizes, I use Rogers hardware with a modern mount to hold my cowbells and wood block, it works very well.
Unknown3.jpg
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:32 am

Ernesto Pediangco wrote:
Johnny Salinas wrote:Here's a few photos I want to share of my 50s WFL timbalitos, they have 10 1/2 in and 13 in head sizes, I use Rogers hardware with a modern mount to hold my cowbells and wood block, it works very well.
Unknown3.jpg

To Johnny Re : WFL w/ Rogers bell post system. Johnny, you can see the " T " handle of a heavy duty cow bell clamp, welded to the Ludwig clip mount stand. I custom build simple L rods w/ a double post welded to it so that it creates a 2 post bell mount. ( see my Projects & restorations in my FB photo albums ). This system eliminates the added attachment you are using & raises the Rogers L bracket above the rims where its easy mount bells etc. The clamp is facing the public, not the player. A 2nd clamp on the player side, adds options to mount a small drum or other percussion item...or even a cup holder or sheet music stand. What ever you can imagine & make work for your needs.
Ernesto Pediangco

Return to Timbales