New to the forums and have some questions

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

New to the forums and have some questions

Postby eskrimaaddiction » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:10 pm

So first off gotta say love the forum.

So I had a pair of matador brass timbales and loved. Got them off a buddy and had them for a few years. Well recently our apartment got broken into and a few things got taken those being one of them :twisted: . Well lucky my g-friend was smart enough to get insurance on all the stuff we've got so it's time for an upgrade.

I saw the post about good, great, and best timbales and was wondering for a little more direction. Thinking brass and 14&15 cause I really liked those others I had. I realize that it would be great if I could afford a pair of old school timbales but that's not in the cards (just like I want every old K I see on ebay but that's not in the cards either) and was wondering if anyone was specific recommendation on some of the top newer models. Also I did not see a review of the meinl top set and was wondering if those have any know issues.

Second question was places to get bells. I've got a few of jcr bells and a masterworks ago-go and was wondering where else you can point me to look for great bells.

thanks again for all the help
eskrimaaddiction

Re: New to the forums and have some questions

Postby Anonimo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:52 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby Johnny Salinas » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:11 pm

you can still get a great set of vintage timbales at very resonable prices, the most common being ludwig/WFL, but Ive seen many brass sets of Slingerlands and others, most for under $250, Ludwig and WFL are still very nice sounding timbales although they are steel shells of either copper or chrome plated they sound great with the right type of heads and the 13in and 14in head sizes make a differance, I dont think they would sound the same in a 14/15 size. I prefer the copper plated shells myself, my 1st set of timbs was a set of chrome 70s blue/olive badge set that I bought for $100 in the mid 80s which I used in one of the first salsa bands i joined, gigging 6 days a week for about 7 years. I have never bought nor would I ever buy a newer set, just something to keep in mind. of course theres nothing like a set of brass Leedys or Rogers, but you can come close to that sound and be very happy with some of the other vintage brass sets, especially if money is an issue. also regarding your jam block, theres nothing wrong with yours, many percussionist are using the large size clave, the one with cut out and sound chamber, those have a deeper sound. I would go with JCR or Matthews bells or I know Cuco (leedy2) can hook you up with a great south american bell. good luck
Johnny Salinas

Postby Mr. Conga » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:48 am

HOW DO YOU POST PICTURES ON THE FORUM THE EASY WAY? AND SELECT ACCOUNT PICTURE?
THANKS
Mr. Conga

Postby eskrimaaddiction » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:53 am

Thanks for the info. I got a chance to play a set of 13/14 recently at a guitar center and I think I like the higher pitch. I use to have a 14/15 so I thought I would just like the same, but I think I might be leaning towards a 13/14. Is there good examples of timbales sounds around. What I mean is that it is great that we have so many sound files and vids for cymbals these days but we really don't have that many files for timbales. It would be great if there were vids comparing new timbales, to old ones.

thanks and any other advice would be welcomed
eskrimaaddiction

Postby Anonimo » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:04 am

Anonimo

Postby eskrimaaddiction » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:27 pm

That collection is unreal! If you ever have way to much time on your hands it would be great to see a few videos just to be able to hear the sound of great drums so I can compare them to the present day drums. I remember the first time I ever heard a good cymbal growing up that it changed my perspective on everything else I've heard since.

Thank you again for posting those pics.
eskrimaaddiction

Postby Anonimo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:47 pm

Anonimo

Return to Timbales