Calfskin mounting video for timbales & tympani !

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Calfskin mounting video for timbales & tympani !

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:33 am

[code][/code]<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RZLVSBVMFAw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Ernesto Pediangco

Re: Calfskin mounting video for timbales & tympani !

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:38 am

Ernesto Pediangco wrote:[code][/code]<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RZLVSBVMFAw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

who will teach me to add embed code from You Tube ?? lol
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Anonimo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:09 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:30 pm

leedy2 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/embed/RZLVSBVMFAw an easy process key is picking the right skins not all calf are process in the right way.

Yes, very true. This video is a rare look at a simple yet lost art of tucking calf to the drum hoop / rim or even a flesh hoop. My favorite timbale skins / heads used to come from Amroco in Chicago. I'd send my rims to them, they always tucked the proper head weight in pre stretched white calf. Tympani heads tend to be more clear translucent skins that were not pre stretched. On drum like timbales, if not using a pre stretched skin, the drum sticks will slowly stretch where the majority of sticking occurs and will become white. Stretched white calf on timbales means the head is now uniformly stretched and offers uniform tone & stick rebound. Eventually the wear of playing will stretch fibers enough to weaken and tear the skins. My last set of skins I mounted to by Gon Bop Mariano timbales lasted 6 years on the road touring the Rocky Mountain states & the Pacific North West states. My plastic heads get harder playing but only last a year before stretching out and becoming dead sounding. I am not a wild timbale player so my drums & heads get little abuse. My ears are spoiled on the sound of calf heads though. Most plastic heads on timbales sound obnoxious to me, especially the cheap ones that come mounted on factory timbales. I wish all my timbales had great skins like your collection Cuco !
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:01 pm

The video shows the basic process of tucking skins to timbale or tympani rims / hoops. How ever, Timbale rims are taller than those used on plastic heads in order to allow for the stretching of skin. Attention should be given for old style rims that used eagle claws to allow that the claws do not touch the head as the skin stretches down in time from usual tuning. Some times recycled skins from old style drum set toms may be re purposed for use on timbales if the heads are of same diameter and the existing flesh hoops fit the drum & the rims w/o binding to the shell. This is why George Way of Leddy company who invented many parts and drum designs for several U.S.A. drum companies, invented the floating shell concept that created more clearances to eliminate the tight cleanses for a better fit. Most quality drums of many types have this, some others, like Asian made timbales seem oblivious to this and you may have experienced poor fitting heads that the shell diameter and the drum rim are so tight that the heads may bind against the shell making de tuning difficult as well as precise tuning. In some cases the rim mounted timbale rims have mounting hard wares that require careful mounting of the skin around them. I prefer to mount skins onto skin wire flesh hoops and place the timbale rim over them like drum set systems use. This allows to have more varieties of heads to mount the same drum shells not having to custom mount onto the rims. These standardised heads will fit all standardized drums of same diameter. Bass drum calf heads are too thick for timbales and will sound more like tom toms since the thickness mutes the heads tone. A head that is too thin will not sound well on the large hembra / lower drum of timbale sets, but do sound great on timbalitos & tarolas for a soling or add lib playing style in Latin music. It's a matter of preference and acceptable,practical considerations. If metal or wood flesh hoops are not available, I have used the rigid drum head frames from Ludwig & Aquarian to mount skins and I anchor them after they are trimmed & dried by adding super glue very carefully. This way the skins will not slide off. I tuck them as I would a bongo head except I try to tuck some skin all the way around the skin wire the way old drum heads were mounted to wood flesh hoops. Metal ones do not allow the skins to stick to them as the do to wood . Glue is helpful in this case. When using wood skin wires, I coat the wood flesh hoops w/ Elmer's Hide Glue which is a natural glue...not chemical, and is made from horse hooves and natural gluten from the horse hides from what I have been told. Steaming the skins and hoops softens the glue and makes it possible to remove the skins, but chemical glues do not allow this. This is why wood guitars & violins use natural glue for future repair work where dis assemble & re assembly is commonly needed. ENJOY !
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Ernesto Pediangco wrote:
leedy2 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/embed/RZLVSBVMFAw an easy process key is picking the right skins not all calf are process in the right way.

Yes, very true. This video is a rare look at a simple yet lost art of tucking calf to the drum hoop / rim or even a flesh hoop. My favorite timbale skins / heads used to come from Amroco in Chicago. I'd send my rims to them, they always tucked the proper head weight in pre stretched white calf. Tympani heads tend to be more clear translucent skins that were not pre stretched. On drum like timbales, if not using a pre stretched skin, the drum sticks will slowly stretch where the majority of sticking occurs and will become white. Stretched white calf on timbales means the head is now uniformly stretched and offers uniform tone & stick rebound. Eventually the wear of playing will stretch fibers enough to weaken and tear the skins. My last set of skins I mounted to by Gon Bop Mariano timbales lasted 6 years on the road touring the Rocky Mountain states & the Pacific North West states. My plastic heads get harder playing but only last a year before stretching out and becoming dead sounding. I am not a wild timbale player so my drums & heads get little abuse. My ears are spoiled on the sound of calf heads though. Most plastic heads on timbales sound obnoxious to me, especially the cheap ones that come mounted on factory timbales. I wish all my timbales had great skins like your collection Cuco !

By the way Cuco, have you ever tried skins from Sonar drum company ? They are the only modern company that still used skins on orchestral drums & practice timpani made of wood like roto toms. Those skins were not stretched white but were very expertly done and sounded great ! China also makes great skins for use on the Chinese drums. The descendants of the experts in Chicago companies did not continue the family tradition when plastic heads drove the market for drum set drums. Shame !
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:16 pm

Slingerland calfskin.jpg
Slingerland calfskin.jpg
Ernesto Pediangco

Return to Timbales