Quiet timbales?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Quiet timbales?

Postby vasikgreif » Tue May 03, 2011 9:18 am

Hi, we played with our timba band in a restaurant here in CZ, it was fine, but the timbales our player has are way too loud for such event in small place - he has LP Tito Puente Bronze 13" 14" timbales. Is there anything he could do with this set to make it not so loud, or are there other timbales that are quieter? Thanks
vasikgreif

Re: Quiet timbales?

Postby Gallichio » Tue May 03, 2011 10:45 am

The Timbales can really add fire to the performance that's for sure. I love the sound of Timbales. The player can try to muffle the drum or perhaps use different sticks might help. Any sound can be irritating if played to loud. The drum makes no sound on its own. Tell the player politely to play more softly on them. He is in control of the drum sound or is it the other way around?
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby vasikgreif » Tue May 03, 2011 11:08 am

This is not the problem of timbale player playing too loud (I have many experiences telling the drum players to play not so loud..), the problem here is the acoustics in the restaurant, which make the sound really far too loud..
vasikgreif

Postby pavloconga » Tue May 03, 2011 11:19 am

Could try playing thinner sticks and taping the skins. Just a suggestion.
pavloconga

Postby Gallichio » Tue May 03, 2011 12:01 pm

If the problem here is the acoustics in the restaurant then wouldn't everyone sound to loud? No? Then the other players must be playing at a more reasonable volume. You could try to place the timbale player in a different location on stage. You could put towels over the drums but you will kill the beautiful sound of the Timbales. I still think its all about the way the player is playing. When I have ever heard a quite timbale player is when the player plays at P or PP or PPP that is dynamics. The Player controls that. Just my 2 cents. I would like to hear the solution if their is one.
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby Anonimo » Tue May 03, 2011 2:57 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby ghostdrummer » Tue May 03, 2011 5:48 pm

yes i also think it is the personal style of each player that creates the sound,or maybe it is the musical style you are playing that calls for loud rimshots,open tones,mambo bell,etc.
ghostdrummer

Postby Tumbas » Wed May 04, 2011 5:21 pm

One thing he needs to investigate is Dynamics... bring it down!

But another thing I do in small venues is use Hybrid Sticks - Pro Mark's Hot Rods. They are made of wood and since they consist of about 18 smaller dowels, they produce unique sound.

Being made of many smaller diameter dowels, they can break if you strike rims too hard, so they kind of teach you how to regulate your technique.

I used them often and enjoy the results.
Tumbas

Postby burke » Wed May 04, 2011 7:48 pm

Second that "hot rod" idea. I don't play timbales, but do use them for bell in quiet situations and in my house.

ps. welcome to CP tumbas

Cheers

Darrell
Burke
burke

Postby Tumbas » Thu May 05, 2011 3:38 pm

burke wrote:Second that "hot rod" idea. I don't play timbales, but do use them for bell in quiet situations and in my house.

ps. welcome to CP tumbas

Cheers

Darrell

Thank you Sir!

I feel warm and fuzzy! :lol:
Tumbas

Postby Thomas Altmann » Thu May 05, 2011 4:44 pm

Vasik,

it's true that any musician, especially those who play a loud instrument, should develop a reasonable technique to control dynamics.

However, playing softer generally affects the sound quality, i.e. the ratio of attack, tone, and sustain, as well as the time interval that the sound needs to fully establish itself (I think there must be an English word for this; in German we speak of "Einschwingzeit"). Now, every musician wants to produce the sound appropriate to the nature of his particular instrument.

Most of today's instruments, including timbales, are produced to be (over-)resonant; heavy timbal sticks that bring out the maximum off these instruments, are in fashion. As Cuco suggested, timbales that are made from a less resonant material are a clever step. 13" and 14" sizes are good. Drum heads shouldn't be too thick (I recommend REMO Diplomats - at least for the macho). And finally, the sticks should be on the thin side. If the stick attack is too harsh on the cáscara, tape the sticks. Rods are a compromise that will castrate and eventually spoil the proper timbal sound; they are an excuse to still be on stage with the band and clandestinely earn some bucks. (Depressing.)

I have seen a few drummers who can really produce a nice sound with Hot Rods or Blasticks. I can't. I think they are just designed out of utilitarism, to cut down the volume, and without any respect to the musical properties of the drum. I either use sticks or brushes. Back in the past, drummers could play soft with sticks and loud with brushes, and that's the road that I am travelling.

Of course the tuning of the drums plays a major role, too. There are tunings that allow the drum to sound good only at one volume, LOUD. In the old charangas, the timbales were never too loud. That came down to thin sticks and proper tuning, not too high, not too low. I think, Cuco has written someting on it, and - as very often - he was right.

By the way, in the 90s I played timbales with a Salsa band with a 6-piece horn section. One day the first trumpet player capriciously decided to suggest that I shouldn't play so loud. I was really trying hard - until on one of our gigs I happened to stand directly in front of him ...

Drums should be played with confidence and conviction, first of all. The drum, like the trumpet, is a "confessing instrument", a mean-what-you-say affair. At the moment you accept restrictions that are not musically motivated, you rescue to a miserable position.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Anonimo » Thu May 05, 2011 7:10 pm

Anonimo

Postby musiqman » Mon May 09, 2011 8:23 pm

What also works is a screen like used for brass sections:

For timbales you could do with 2 panels medium height.

Rods can work, but you dont have the rebound, but its a cheaper solution and you dont have to cut in your expression.
musiqman

Postby Anonimo » Mon May 09, 2011 8:33 pm

Anonimo

Postby musiqman » Mon May 09, 2011 8:39 pm

True, but still there's a difference between stick control and playing with emotion.

I can play as soft as ... well you understand but it kicks out every playing fun out of me. If this is the only instrument he play's I would look further then stick control alone.

And those screens are also usable to diminish the sound that one will here in front of the timbales (not the ones behind him of course, since the sound would bounce back and disappears/fades slowly)

You could also use them with sound absorbers to kill the sound complete.
musiqman

Next

Return to Timbales