How Well do You Know About Your timbales

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

How Well do You Know About Your timbales

Postby Anonimo » Fri May 13, 2011 1:33 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Re: How Well do You Know About Your timbales

Postby DJBakan » Fri May 13, 2011 3:31 pm

I am trowing my self in the fire here, but I believe one of the main uses of Timbales is to transition to one rhythm to another. Like Son to Mambo or Bomba, etc.

The other will be to "drive the rhythm" meaning to make the swing in the fastest part of the song "the part that make the people dance".

DJBakan
DJBakan

Postby Craig » Fri May 13, 2011 6:55 pm

I believe timbales became an essential part of the latin rhythm section in the 1940s, when cha-cha and mambo were the most popular dance rhythms of the time. For dancers, the signature rhythms for both cha-cha and mambo are defined by the prominent cowbell patterns played by the timbalero. These dance rhythms also rely on the rim clicks, rim shots, rolls and other percussive sounds produced with sticks. If played exclusively with hand drums and no stick sounds, these dance rhythms are not the same. With the evolution to today's "salsa," the timbales continue to provide signature patterns and licks for the "salsa" sound.

Craig
Craig

Postby Anonimo » Mon May 16, 2011 4:39 pm

Anonimo

Postby Johnny Salinas » Sun May 29, 2011 9:58 pm

leedy2 wrote:The responce: Timbales is what unites the horns with the ryhthm section also acsents the horns . This is some thing that started to be used back in the 1920 when band started to get larger . Yet were also used in the playing of danzon and charangas (orquestas tipicas) before 1920,s. In todays band it is used and many make more noice than playing them in stead of concentrate in getting rhythm tight.

Well said Cuco!
Johnny Salinas

Postby salcero1 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:38 pm

Can a snare drum and bass foot pedal drum be standard equipment for today's timbalero or is it just added accent equipment to a timbale player's basic setup? I was considering purchasing a nice small snare from pearl, this model:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QD ... PDKIKX0DER

Since my experience is still on a learning curve this would be a good topic to get some good advice from the experienced timbaleros on this forum. I wouldn't see a need for a bass pedal drum for my purposes, to me it would be much more equipment to schlepp around and quite cumbersome. Your thoughts on this inquiry would be most appreciated. Thank you

Jorge.
salcero1

Postby Anonimo » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:44 pm

Anonimo

Postby salcero1 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:08 pm

Good feedback and yes I do delve into Latin Jazz so I guess your advice would help me in that aspect but I can see your view about the bass drum that's why the timbalero had an hembra drum to adjust acoustically to the genre of music being played. I have heard the hembra toned down way low on danzones, son and cha-chas with beautiful effects no need for a bass pedal drum however I have heard how a snare can liven a jazz tune quite well with great execution and timing. Nice to have a option for accents without schlepping something monstrous and something I can use quite effectively in certain genres of music other than Latin music.
salcero1

Postby Anonimo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:25 am

Anonimo

Return to Timbales