Speed development on Timbales

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Speed development on Timbales

Postby Daywalker598 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:51 am

Does anybody have tips on developing speed and control on Timbales? Also what would be a good size for Timbale sticks to use for a beginner? I am learning on LP Tito Puente series Timbales. I'm a rookie to playing and any help in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mike
Daywalker598

Re: Speed development on Timbales

Postby Anonimo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:46 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby eskrimaaddiction » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:46 pm

Daywalker598 wrote:Does anybody have tips on developing speed and control on Timbales? Also what would be a good size for Timbale sticks to use for a beginner? I am learning on LP Tito Puente series Timbales. I'm a rookie to playing and any help in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

if you want to get speed up check out jo jo mayer old vid. I stumbled upon somthing similar to hiw towel method. I had to use two layer's of drum silencers (vic firth and others have them) to play in an apartment complex. My taking away the rebound it forced me to work harder. So when i went out and played on a normal setup and could take advantage of the rebound my speed amazed me. What jo jo does is add layers of towels to his drums to take away more and more of the reboound away. Older guys like d.chambers suggest a pillow to practice but this can lead to carpal tunnel and other wrist problems. Also learning the techniques that allow for best reboound also helps. Get old books like stick control and just work your way through them. STAY RELAXED and if ever any pain STOP and rest.

Best of luck...

oh yeah i'm a drummer but i think it all applies :D
eskrimaaddiction

Postby Daywalker598 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:14 am

cool thanks for the suggestions.
Daywalker598

Postby SalseroBoricua71 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:30 am

SalseroBoricua71

Return to Timbales