Newbie Intro+?:Re-Other~Forums dedicated to Timbales/Congas?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Newbie Intro+?:Re-Other~Forums dedicated to Timbales/Congas?

Postby norskdrum » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:26 pm

:oops:Hi fellow percussionists... I am a little embarrassed to ask the above question in the Congaplace (Timbales specific Forum)? but have wondered for some time now..if maybe their are other latin percussion online forums,I have done a few searches and other than the LP blog site..I have not found very much?

Whilst I am a newbie-oldie to this forum...and seriouse percussion in general,I did as a young man own and try to play the bongo`s..Have always loved percussion and I suppose Santana would be my strongest influence.
Must admit to having a very sparse knowledge of contemporary Percussionists...Giovanni Hidalgo being one of the few I know.So I am trying to put this right by researching the greats of latin percussion...

I am also in the middle of some pretty detailed planning to finally achieve my lifelong dream,to learn the Congas & Timbales and assorted smaller items?My initial thoughts have changed a little since the outset..and now I feel I would like to begin withe TIMBALES

The story behind my dream,and the reason I am starting now aged 55 is a very long tale...which I will save for another day! :?:

I have what I think, maybe quite an interesting opening question? and I hope fellow members maybe able to offer their advice and suggestions.As part of my long term planning, I am having a small room turned in to a music/rehearsal room..3.4 mtr x 2 mtr x 2.7 mtr high.It will have a real 14mm wooden floor with underlay(5mm) at the moment it is just concrete+wooden pine plank roof.

When I finally get things in place..I have a dream to travel to the USA or elsewhere to take an intense course with a highly respected teacher :?: .. as well as online lessons,dvd,book and possibly web cam link(if can be arranged) these are all just ideas..I am no expert.

I must be honest and admit my health is very poor and the idea of taking up percussion is both to give me an uplift and aid my general well being,but also a goal! I have achieved little in my life..for many reasons,so am determined to try and leave a small legasy behind me :?:I am so very keen indeed to learn and have a great deal of motivation..wish I had done this years ago.I do not have all the time in the world...so I will probably have to fast-track some of the learning curve.

I have to give mention to the great folk at X8-Drums who were so very kind and understanding,when I first made contact with them..they were one of the first companies along with Pro-Drum-Shop.and Memphis Drum Shop but X8 were the only ones to reply..and for that and their subsequant advice e.t.c. I am eternally grateful.

Anyway there was my opening salvo,,hope to hear from one or two of you in time

Best wishes from Norway
Steve :D

(Englishman) lived in Norway 10 years!
norskdrum

Re: Newbie Intro+?:Re-Other~Forums dedicated to Timbales/Congas?

Postby droid » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:58 am

At the beginning play on medium priced instruments and study the basics with info of videos on line.

Johnny Conga has a video of clave de son:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAg-3MsZQu0
droid

Postby norskdrum » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:03 am

:D Hello Droid
Good of you to reply,
I have followed johnny Congas Blogs for a while now also read about is Conga courses e.t.c. which with all due respect are probably not for me..but I am collecting plenty of Video tuition

all the best Steve :D
norskdrum

Postby RitmoBoricua » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:54 am

droid wrote:At the beginning play on medium priced instruments and study the basics with info of videos on line.

Cannot entirely rely on all of them videos online got to be very careful there. You got to be specific
as to what videos to watch online because there are plenty of videos posted online from people
that do not know a thing about percussion. Now hooking-up with a teacher like JC in this forum
is a very good idea.
RitmoBoricua

Postby Chupacabra » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:46 pm

Stay away from any and everything that is from "Expert Village"! :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Postby norskdrum » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:17 pm

:D Hi
and many many thanks for the good advcie I appreciate it.
I have added to a old thread elsewhere in the forum.. and am taking on board the warnings regarding bad teaching/videos e.t.c.

Please keep the advice coming
best wishes Steve :D
norskdrum

Postby Anonimo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:34 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby norskdrum » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:40 pm

:D Good Evening leedy2 (22:00) as I write.

Must thank you for your most kind welcome..and for taking the time and trouble to give me such a superb & comprehensive reply,much obliged to you.I have read many threads/Posts by you..and it is easy to see you have a wealth of knowledge..on most things percussion.

Yes I sort of gauged there were far more Conga than timbales players,which is understandable
I can understand well why Santana and Giovanni would not be the ideal to learn from,when you are just really starting out,like me;I just mensioned them as I love Santana and like Giovannis style..

If you are looking to learn conga drums or timbales highly recommend to study one instrument at a time so that you do not have confusions in sounds a patterns. If you want to begin with timbales there great books out there that will help you quite a bit 1) The true bible of playing (Humberto Morales How to play Latin America Rhythm instruments) 2) You have Victor Rendon How to play timbales Plus there a few other's that are good out there that are copies of Humberto all basically repeat the same thing most have copied inserts from that book.

I am not to good with Books alone much prefer if available DVD Lessons/Tuition.I find it much easier to watch and learn than read and learn...so advcie on which DVD`s to look for+ maybe the above come in Dvd versions?Hopefully,or maybe some of the great players you list.

The Room I am planning is being transformed for me..and will take time to complete..it is not really a studio as such just a nice environment to learn and play and also listen to music.

My biggest dream is to visit the states or even Cuba and spend a couple of weeks(if I can afford it) to see & learn first hand from a Highly regarded proffessional teacher? so any help/advice and recomendations appreciated.This to will have to wait a while and will,in my case take some very detailed planning but I am very keen to do this..just feel it is a natural extension of the learning process...and it would do my confindence a power of good...which is much needed after many years of turmoil and ill health :? and to be honest I really need something positive to look forward to..but thats`s all in the future,yet good to keep in mind.I am hoping also to call in on the guys at X8 Drums...

The following is a link to a thread where you were actively involved...and whilst it is an old one I added my own comments and thoughts regarding my own hopes and aspirations e.t.c.In the world of percussion :!:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5805&p=68921#p68921

anyway I look forward to hearing more from you..and the other guys

All the best Steve :D

P.S. Please excuse the very bad spelling & grammar :oops:
norskdrum

Postby droid » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:46 pm

norskdrum wrote:I am also in the middle of some pretty detailed planning to finally achieve my lifelong dream,to learn the Congas & Timbales and assorted smaller items?

Are you referring to maracas, güiro, claves, shekere, cowbell?
droid

Postby norskdrum » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:12 pm

:D Hi Again Droid
Simple answer is Yes more Cow Bells/Blocks/Possibly Gong/cymbals.
and I really love the idea of the LP multi stem Gajat..Ok I am getting well in advnace of my self but we can all dream...
I really loved the set up that Eguie Castrillo: Playing Timbales [Toca Video Lessons:] 4 timbales~14"/15+14"/15 + Cow bells + all manor of great looking Percussion instruments :P must admit I like the deeper sounds..

norskdrum

Postby pavloconga » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:41 pm

Hi Steve,
I think one of the best things you can do is find a very good teacher that you can study with regularly.
Someone who can help you build a good foundation and instil good habits and techniques right from the start (it's hard and time consuming to undo bad habits on an instrument)
Maybe there are people in Norway you could study with.
Earlier this year I met Pepé Espinosa, (master multi-percussionist with Afro Cuban All Stars) and he lives in Sweden which is not too far from you. If you could study with him or someone of his calibre that would be a great way to start. I have his contact details somewhere (I just moved house so may have misplaced) or you can probably contact him online.

I encourage you to start playing no matter what your age, it sounds like it's something you have wanted to do for a long time.
Start the journey (it's a long one), one step at a time and see where it leads!

I hope your health improves,
and best of luck with your quest to learn
regards
Pavlo
pavloconga

Postby norskdrum » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:36 am

:mrgreen: Good Morning Pavlo(07:15 here)
Really must thank you for a really superb and very encouraging reply,much appreciated.
I of course had not heard of Pepé Espinosa :oops: But I will certainly try and find him.as you say Sweden is our neighbour about 400 miles to the border from here.
build a good foundation and instil good habits and techniques right from the start

I really do agree and the more I have read the stronger that resolve becomes to only learn from the best both personally as with someone of the caliber of Pepe,or via DVD`s..web link e.t.c.I know and feel how important this is.
Even with Pepe,I would only probbaly be able to visit him the once..Norway is a very expensive place to live,and my wife is the bread winner(i have no income) :evil: Long-Story!...but still I think a week or so with someone of his status and skill would be of great benefit in the longterm.

And if by any chance Pepe does not work out, for what ever reason I will continue my search for that right teacher!weather he be here in Europe or in Havana or Florida or Timbuktu.I still think the experience will be invaluable Paulo,as I am sure you would agree.

I have known for a very long time only reinforced of late, that Music and especially the playing of a musical instrument can offer immeasurable benefits to both the young and old,particulary to folk who are suffering from poor health...
I really do not wish to put a downer on the positive vibes I have felt,not only by reading your great reply,but others who like you have offered very kind support and positive encouragement.My problems run very deep and are at best complex,both physical & mental,but for my part I have already started(hopefully) on an upward track and will shortly be joining a specailised excersize class,both to help me loose weight but to help my pycholology also :!: and this is just one of what hopefully will be a total approach incooperating other beneficial outlets.I suppose this is why I think now is the time of the TIMBALES :mrgreen:

Anyway I feel that is enough for the moment..please keep in touch and keep those good vibes coming

norskdrum

Postby Chupacabra » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:46 am

Chupacabra wrote:Stay away from any and everything that is from "Expert Village"! :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

I have just discovered that JohnnyConga now has his videos on Expert Village. I apologize for my lack of foresight and will be sure to check things out first before making a statement like that again :oops: . I was referring to some of the other videos that we have shared some good laughs about in the past... like our friend the "koonga" player with the piece of paper on the skin, or the "bongocero" with the big hole in the hembra!

No hard feeling, I hope?
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Return to Timbales