buying timbales ? LOTs of questions.

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

buying timbales ? LOTs of questions.

Postby miguellopez » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:57 am

I just put $40 downs on a set of used timbales at guitar center. I don't know if I made a wise chose.
Latin Percussion Matador M257KR Karl Perazzo Custom Timbales (green white and red) I don't care for the color but I taught is was a good price. The sales person told me it's the same as the Matador except for the color.

Used $199 New $400 Online $340

I've been reading and found out that the timbales are made of Steel, Brass or Bronze. I went to LP's website and listened to the three types. I like the brass sound out of all three. I believe the Matador M257kr is steel timbale.

Goal to play well and play in a salsa band. 8)

Questions:
1. Other then sound is there any other differences between the 3 types? Better quality, last longer,

2. People say the steel drum is louder then brass/bronze. I love music and prefer to hear thing that are pleasing to the ear. I don't want to start out with bad habits. Is the brass sounding timbales more pleasing to the ear when playing in a salsa band.

3. What is commonly used by professional artists? (Steel, Brass, Bronze)

4. Any other tips on what I should look for when buying timbales?

5. Am I getting a good deal on the used timbales. $200 :shock:
# 14" and 15"" diameter shells are 6-1/2" deep and features traditional tuning
# Heavy duty, fully height adjustable, tilting chrome stand
# NO COW BELL :(

6. Should I buy them new. If I go with this purchase I have to buy an cowbell and the bracket to how the bell.
That could be anywhere from $50 to $100+ depending on what I purchase.

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I'm new to this. Any questions answered would help me out.
I've search on the web for information but found nothing to answer my questions. Thank you for taking the time out and writing back to me.

Miguel
miguellopez

Re: buying timbales ? LOTs of questions.

Postby b0ng0 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:21 am

Hey miguel,

You really gotta ask yourself how realistic ur goals & methods are, if your the type that's gonna study the instrument & spend hours & hours practicing,staying motivated & always wanting to get better & gig with a group, then you should probably go for something more "top of the line". However if your like the many ppl out there who buy instruments to bang on them and think percussion is a piece of cake, then stay wit the matadors. See the thing is the matadors are good to learn on & they'll do the job, however as you get better you start noticing the differences and you'll want a better sound from your timbales... this is wat happened to me wit matador bongos, I bought them stock, then wanted a btter sound so I bought remo heads, still wanted a better sound and I had to invest in a new top of the line set (moperc). Its like Caballoballo says , "invest wise so you don't have to invest twice"...
Hope this helps...
b0ng0

Postby Anonimo » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:03 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby miguellopez » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:46 pm

Thanks for your replies bOngO and leedy2.

You really gotta ask yourself how realistic ur goals & methods are

I've been a dj for 20+ years. When I started, I learned everything from the ground up. Bought the best equipment and learned everything I could. I plan to do the same thing for the timbales.

My goal as a kid was to play live in a band. DJing was easy for me and I play every weekend. But I have that desire to play an instrument. I believe I could do it because of the passion i have for the music and instrument.

I agree with you b0ng0 & leedy2. I should not be cheap and buy the top of the line. I bought top of the line dj gear why not do the same for my timbales.

Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciate it. :)

Thanks for the Link leedy2. This is very helpful.
I'm planning on getting the new LP Prestige Timbales.

One more question.
I was thinking of getting a dvd to learn the basic then take lessons from a teacher. Any recommendations on a dvd.
I also want to learn how to read music. Any good sites to get the basics.

Thanks,

Miguel
miguellopez

Postby b0ng0 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:06 pm

Miguel: good thinking, however shop around some more, if your looking for a solid set of timbales may I suggest the pearl marc quiniones signature timbales? They have an excellent cascara sound, they come with a pearl jam block and remo heads, look around you can't get them on musiciansfriend.com for about $450.00..
b0ng0

Postby Anonimo » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:09 pm

Anonimo

Postby miguellopez » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:35 pm

B0ng0 thanks for the suggestions I'll check out the pearl marc quiniones signature timbales. $450 is not a bad price. The LP Prestige Timbales are $540.

Leedy2, I live in Chicago.
miguellopez

Postby b0ng0 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:27 pm

Miguel: I would reccomend you take a look at. " thedrumworks.com", they have great prices on most of their timbales..
b0ng0

Postby Anonimo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:51 pm

Anonimo

Postby Mike » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:51 am

Just FYI: I once had the Matador Karl Perazzo timbales and they sounded OK with decent skins,
but the cascara was too tinny, so I rather stuck with my vintage Afro brass timbales.

The LP Prestige timbales sound pretty good too - at least what you hear and read on the Internet...
Peace & drum
Mike

Return to Timbales