How to Clean Puente Bronze Timbales

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

How to Clean Puente Bronze Timbales

Postby jesse_velazquez » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:28 pm

I have a pair of bronze signature edition LP Tito Puente Timbales. They are a little dirty from my sticks, I wasnt sure the best method to cleaning the shells since I dont know if it is genuie bronze or if it is plated. Anyone has any suggestions??
jesse_velazquez

Re: How to Clean Puente Bronze Timbales

Postby Craig » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:27 am

I believe the drums are solid bronze with a protective coating so that they do not tarnish. You don't want to harm the coating. I have had success with just a damp cotton cloth. I have also had success with a cotton cloth and a glass cleaner that does not have ammonia ( i.e. not Windex).

Craig
Craig

Postby Anonimo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:54 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby jesse_velazquez » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:51 pm

thanks guys.

Leedy I was wacthing a video that I have from a old documentary on Channel 13 here in New York. Did you play with Machito in the late 70's, cause the Timbal player looked like you. They were playing the tune "Oye Mi Rumba (Ahora Si)" in a park and then there was a shot where the whole band was practicing in some place that looked like a classroom.
jesse_velazquez

Postby Anonimo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:12 pm

Anonimo

Postby jesse_velazquez » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:52 pm

oh sorry, my mistake. thats a great thing, gigging steadily with a band for that long. Muy bien.
jesse_velazquez

Postby Anonimo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:38 pm

Anonimo

Postby jesse_velazquez » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:20 pm

Yeah it is bad how things work nowadays. There is so few events that cater to the Latin crowd in terms of Salsa, and New York where it was so strong it has been really slow for the most part. There is still a few little bars in the Bronx that do live music, but in Manhattan there is barely nothing going on. I was lucky enough to perform in the Bronx last week with this new local band so hopefully we can pull more gigs.
jesse_velazquez

Postby Anonimo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:38 pm

Last edited by Anonimo on Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonimo

Postby RitmoBoricua » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:48 am

leedy2 wrote:
jesse_velazquez wrote:Yeah it is bad how things work nowadays. There is so few events that cater to the Latin crowd in terms of Salsa, and New York where it was so strong it has been really slow for the most part. There is still a few little bars in the Bronx that do live music, but in Manhattan there is barely nothing going on. I was lucky enough to perform in the Bronx last week with this new local band so hopefully we can pull more gigs.

It's all over since the late 80's it started to go down and today there is really nothing I move out of New York 6 years ago and there was nothing . And here were i live now its even worst, I did one gig just for the fun of it and it does not call my attention any more, back in the 60s 70's I worked 7 day a week and doubled and tripled at times plus i travel 2,3 times a month. I prefer to stay home and not work at all.

Here is a calculation of one night.
suit to cleaners $12.00
press a shirt $6.00
Gas $65.00 full tank
Beer $8.00
stiff drink $12.00
you find a chick at the place you are working and off of courtesy you buy her a drink $20.00 remember she friends with the owner of club so she picks the most expensive drink .
at the end of night she recommends of going to her house but you don't trust smart move go to hotel $75.00 have all the fun in the world.
morning drive her home or pay a cab $20.00
now it your turn what you tell the wife why you did not come home . car broke down bla bla bla
2 months later she looks you up to tell you she is pregnant or has a disease WOW! now the problem starts. How you tell your wife of the problem . That nothing the real problem come later when wife sends divorce and strips you of every thing and then you get a letter from child support to take your whole check and wife's lawyer wants alimony .

How much did you make that night ? $100.00
I'll stay home :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well put leedy plus you do not have to put up with drunk MOFOS and "incordios".....
RitmoBoricua

Postby jesse_velazquez » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:10 pm

hahahaha. Leedy, you got me cracking up man. Well put being a musican cost more than it pays. and that, I spent all my $$ from the gig on 2 beers and to private cars to get back and forth. Am really doing it for the fun of it, but damn I made no money back.
jesse_velazquez

Postby Anonimo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:06 pm

Anonimo

Postby jesse_velazquez » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:13 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jesse_velazquez

Postby Callao » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:50 pm

Ive tried cleaning my lp bronze timbs with water and window cleaning w no amonia and nothing...same w the brass version...the stick marks stay there..
Callao

Return to Timbales