LP TITO puente stainless OR pearl marc Quiñones?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

LP TITO puente stainless OR pearl marc Quiñones?

Postby b0ng0 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:28 am

Saludos,

Recently in one of the groups I play with I've been filling in for the timbalero when he hasn't been able to make it, people have been giving me positive feedback about my playing, the trumpet player even told me to forget bongó and stick to timbales...

So I've been doing some overtime at work, saving up for a pair of timbs, a friend of mine has the. LP tito puente stainless steel (14&15), used for sale $275, stock heads no bells,clave,etc...

My original plan was to spend the $450 on a brand new set of pearl MQ's, which come with remo heads and a jam block. Now I haven't heard the LP in person, but I've heard & played the MQ twice at a gig and its a bad MoFo... the cascara sounds really good, the heads are great too...

What I need help deciding is should I jump on the tito puente deal or should I wait until xmas time to get the MQs? I more inclined wit the pearl, but I would appreciate ideas,thoughts,etc....... Cuco maybe you can give me a professional reccomendation on this choice..
b0ng0

Re: LP TITO puente stainless OR pearl marc Quiñones?

Postby Anonimo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:54 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby b0ng0 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:55 pm

Thanks for your opinion cuco, by the way, wat kind of timbales or tarolas are used in the original recording of oscar d'leon\dimension latina song "lloraras"? The sound is so dry, I'm guessing brass or wooden tarolas?
b0ng0

Postby Anonimo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:47 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby b0ng0 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:59 am

UPDATE: received my timbales today, I got a good deal from a music store in texas, go them for $300 shipped to my house...wow where do I start?... the shells look beautiful and sound great, especially the sweet spot on the cascara. The clear remo heads are the best I've played so far, the set up is really easy, the stand is really good & sturdy. The best part is the easy top tunning, its easy & quick... overall this of timbales are great , sound & price...plus its a set that looks "different" from the rest being made out there...I give it a 9 out of 10
b0ng0

Postby salcero1 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:25 pm

Make a sound demonstration video showcasing abanico and cascara patterns to see hear and judge the quality of the drum's sound and appearance. Always helpful for those in the hunt for a new set to purchase. It may just sway them away from LP and the like for the Pearl Marc Quinones Model.Peace and Happy Holidays,

Jorge.
salcero1

Postby jesse_velazquez » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:52 pm

Those Pearl MQ drums are really good. The cascara is terrific. I have used them on 3 different gigs (indoor and outdoor) in the Bronx, and the sound projects very well. This set seems very light also compared to the other sets 4 sets of Timbales that I own.
jesse_velazquez

Postby b0ng0 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:24 pm

Saludos,

Salcero1: hey jorge, yea bro I will try to get a video uploaded of band rehearsal so that the sound of these timbales can be heard.

Jesse: yes they are pretty light compared to other models and the sound of the cascara is great, once u find that "sweet spot" on the shell, the set up and tunning on them is very easy, what can I say I'm more than happy with it..
b0ng0

Postby jesse_velazquez » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:21 pm

Enjoy them brother. Let me know when you do post videos, I would like to hear the band and your style of playing as well.
jesse_velazquez

Return to Timbales