Need some basic help in timbales assembly

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Need some basic help in timbales assembly

Postby RWP » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:52 am

I'm new to drums (at age 64) and have recently gotten interested in timbales and other Latin sounds. To get an introduction, I bought a pair of TOCA Players Series timbales (13/14 inch) off eBay. Paid about $74 including a cowbell, LP Blast Block, and mount. I assumed that these, even the low line of TOCA, would be better than the GP Percussion that are sold at Amazon, Walmart, etc. I think this is a good buy. Any thoughts on TOCA?

The downside is that they will not come with stand or hardware. I have a couple of stand bases and assumed I would be able to get the timbale specific parts to mount them. I had a disappointing communication with TOCA Customer Service, who told me they don't offer any stand parts, but would sell me a complete stand. I've done as much searching as I can and have come up dry on mount parts and variations. I need some help as to how to think about mounting these. Are the basic brackets on different makers similar? Or can I swap to a different format? Is there a supplier who sells the top end for a timbale stand?

I have a couple of good percussion shops here in Atlanta and will check with them when I get the timbales, but I suspect the collective knowledge of this goup will be greater. I'm trying to plan ahead. Any comments or suggestions will be welcomed.
RWP

Re: Need some basic help in timbales assembly

Postby b0ng0 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:59 am

RWP, welcome to the forum,

Yep even if its a low budget set of toca timbales you got a good deal, that's an excellent set of timbales to learn on, a lot of people think that an expensive instrument will make them player better, and when they realize that playing isn't as easy as 123, they lose interest...it will be up to you to determine how much you want to learn, this is a good place to learn....goodluck!
b0ng0

Postby Anonimo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:29 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby RWP » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:09 am

Thanks for the initial info. I think these will be decent to learn on. Regarding the GP set, I made an assumption that a set that is $100 from Walmart is probably not quite as good as the low line from a name maker. I can afford to buy better but seem to be a sucker for orphans (just rebuilt a $25 set of 80's Rogers drums). I've lifted a photo from the eBay listing that shows the mounting surface, a square with four bolts. I edited the photo a bit to lighten and show detail. As usual, happy for any input.

RWP

Postby Anonimo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:49 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby RWP » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:38 pm

Sounds great! PayPal inbound.
RWP

Return to Timbales